Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Brand new laptop- Screen Flickers, Turns black+rnadom colors

by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 6:06 AM PDT

I just ordered a Acer Aspire Laptop: Intel Core i5, 2.66 GHz, 4GB mem, 64O HD, AMD radeon graphics card

...On the 2nd day of having it on my desk the screen began to flicker, then freeze and eventually went black. The applications i was using at the time was merely the yahoo home page. I did not think much of it the 1st time it happened. But it has persisted- 2nd week in and it has occurred 9 times which has resulted in having to unexpectedly shut down the whole computer [holding onto the power button Sad ]!! On one occasion, i was listening to music on iTunes and the screen went out- though i was still able to hear the music playing and the next song...so the computer was moderately functioning...

I checked the events log in the control panel for what may have caused such, the reoccurring ID's are: 41 (unexpected shutdown), 4001 (WLAN),4101 (display) and 1101 (audit drop to 0)

I have also scanned for any viruses through Avast anti-virus.

Thus...i am at a flux...i am not quite sure where to go from here.... I removed the last program that i had installed which was skype...so far in the past 2 hours there has been no problem... (knock on wood)...

Any ideas as to how to swiftly remove the problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand new laptop- Screen Flickers, Turns black+rnadom colors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand new laptop- Screen Flickers, Turns black+rnadom colors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: brand new laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

The best way to remove the problem is to contact the shop where you bought it and claim repair or replacement under warranty.

Kees

Collapse -
in the past 2 hours there has been no problem... (knock on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:10 AM PDT

"in the past 2 hours there has been no problem... (knock on wood)...

Any ideas as to how to swiftly remove the problem?"

You already did!

But since you have 3 days to return such things without penalty and you are close to day 3 and apparently have not asked for help from Acer or the seller, my advice is to return it now and try another machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: 3 days.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

"it has persisted- 2nd week in". That's more than 3 days is a week in the USA is 7 days also. But it's less than the max for a 1-year warranty.

Kees

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 3 days.

Looks like they get to deal with warranty if the seller won't take it back.

I still wonder why no mention of calls to the maker or seller.
Bob

Collapse -

what i meant to write was: Any ideas how to access the problem if it should occur again... i purchased the Laptop online from an independent company on Amazon, which was about a week and a half ago...so im not quite sure on the 3 day rule ...

Collapse -
sorry
by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

for the duplicate threads of this same topic :/

Collapse -
You showed a great example above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

You installed a new app, it created problems and you fixed by uninstalling the app.

I'm unsure why you write "access the problem" but guess that English is not your native language.
Bob

Collapse -
oh my, pardon the error!
by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

Sorry to disappoint, but English is my "Native Language". Unfortunately, I am a terrible speller.

Collapse -
That's OK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:47 AM PDT

But can you clear up what "access the error" means?

You supplied a fine example of how to get rid of an app that causes a problem.
Bob

Collapse -
ASSESS*
by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: That's OK.

...Well, as i had feared, the computer still has the problem. Once again the screen has malfunctioned. The event log shows error 1101 (Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0); error 4001 (WLAN Auto Config has successfully stopped)

Collapse -
its not the ap
by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: That's OK.

i assumed it was the Skype application- but as i have seen it is not. I am still sorting out the possibilities.

Collapse -
the first steps
by wrestlingroxxxx / April 6, 2011 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: its not the ap

I have scanned for viruses: None. I have troubleshooted to fix detectable problems: None. Updated Drivers. Removed the possible apps. What more could there be for the malfunctions!! >:[

Collapse -
On new machines
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: the first steps

You let the maker, seller support it. Since it's so new the likelihood it's a defect is so high that there is not much to assess.

Yes you could roll it back to the factory load and repeat the steps to cause it to fail but why do that?

Unlike a build it yourself machine, laptops are call it in fast when new devices.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!