Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Brand New Inspiron 1720 Doesn't Boot Properly?!

by rachel0609 / March 19, 2008 10:56 PM PDT

I have asked Dell for help but since they won?t, maybe someone else can help me.
I have a Brand New Inspiron 1720, running Vista Home Premium
Intel Pentium Dual CPU, T2330 @1.60 GHZ
2GB of memory.

My question is at startup my system gets stuck on a black screen that has a status bar at the bottom with Microsoft Corporation under it. It stays like that for hours. I waited once... I have to restart and them it wants to do a system restore. If I shut down and restart enough the system eventually boots without restoring. EVENTUALLY!
The last Dell tech I spoke too wiped out my hard drive and returned my system to original dell specs. I am still not booting right. I really can't restore again because I can' go back any farther!!!
Does anyone know what might be wrong??? This doesn't happen all the time just every other time I turn on!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand New Inspiron 1720 Doesn't Boot Properly?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand New Inspiron 1720 Doesn't Boot Properly?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: boot troubles
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2008 11:00 PM PDT

Dell did help, by wiping the hard drive and returning the PC to it's original out-of-the-factory conditions. That's what I read.

But it didn't help. That's what I read also.

So it's time to call them again, say you've got warranty and if they can't fix it, you want to return the machine and exchange it for a new errorless one.

But maybe I read wrong?

Kees

Collapse -
Yes thats right
by rachel0609 / March 19, 2008 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: boot troubles

I have contacted Dell 10 times with this issue. All the techs have me do the same thing. I requested a new system and they tell me in order to do that they have to help me fix the problem first. I was told I would receive a phone call back and never received one.

I have trouble understanding them over the phone so I chat, I also have emailed the unresolved issues department 2 times this week but so far have heard nothing. I was on hold last night with Dell and was transfered 4 times before being transfered to a department that was closed.

I was hoping someone here could just tell me if there is something I could download to fix or if it sounded like a hardware problem.

Collapse -
Didn't work
by rachel0609 / March 20, 2008 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: boot troubles

"So it's time to call them again, say you've got warranty and if they can't fix it, you want to return the machine and exchange it for a new errorless one."

Just called dell they say I have to speak to tech support to diagnose the problem and then and only then will they send me a new system. I asked to speek to Unresolved issues department. This totaly threw customer care for a loop, this question wasn't on his script and he stumbled all over the place trying find an answer. He puts me on hold and them comes back to tell me there is no number for that department, and there is nothing he can do. I hang up. I am currently on hold to speak to someone in tech support AGAIN. Who will probably do nothing and leave my computer worse off than it is already. If this is possible.

Collapse -
Did you Resolve this issue?
by siabcoob / June 2, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work

I was just reading your posts and I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron 1720 too, and I was just wondering if you ever got it fixed.

Collapse -
Well not really
by rachel0609 / June 2, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

When I posted my comment I was on my 3rd Inspiron 1720 since January. I was told my hard drive was defective and I was sent a new hard drive. As you can imagine after having 3 Inspiron 1720 with the same defective hard drive I was a tad bit upset, and I was unwilling to take another Inspiron 1720. I was contacted by a Customer Liasen from the USA and He garanteed me that he would fix the problem. Well while Dell was fixing my laptop someone walked off with parts from my notebook. In the end I was given my pick of any Dell and I chose the XPS M1530. I would reccommend you keep bugging Dell until you get this resolved. i still have no clue what was really wrong with my Inspiron.

Post Comments on the Dell Forum. I guarantee someone will contact you by email.

Collapse -
Do what Rachel said
by PudgyOne / June 2, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

post it in the Laptop forum. Make sure the subject line is something a Liason would read. I think you'll get some nice results.

Rick

Collapse -
I hope I will get a good one
by siabcoob / June 2, 2008 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Do what Rachel said

Well I did contact Dell today and they were willing to send me a brand new Inspiron, but after what Rahcel said about having gone through 3.....I'm not so sure this will work. But I'll give it a chance.

Collapse -
Remember
by PudgyOne / June 2, 2008 1:51 PM PDT

If you have problems with it, post it in Dell's Laptop Forum. A Liason will try to help keep you a satisfied customer.

Rick

Collapse -
Try this "Unresolved Issues" link...
by glenn30 / March 20, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/outstanding_issues?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Cannot hurt and maybe you will get something started. Under Customer Service in this link click the "Go" button where you can complete a form to get the process started. I am unfamiliar with the process but looks like a promising start.

If this is a new purchase and a credit card was used you can always contest the charge with the card company claiming defective merchandise that Dell has not resolved. That should perk some ears!

Hope this helps.

Glenn
Collapse -
I would also...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 11:15 PM PDT

make it official.

Write to Dell Complaints, list your problems and the steps Dell has taken you through, and tell them that under the terms of the warranty you consider their computer defective and not fit for purpose. You now require them to take steps to put this issue right.

If you have such a thing as Trading Standards in your country there should be a Trading Standards office in the nearest city or large town. They can help with your rights and with the wording of any complaint.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.