Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Brand new Gateway

by metmichallica / September 14, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

Anyway I am not on the new Gateway (it's my dad's computer). I have a new computer too, but that one is newer. Anyway I am worried about it because of an incident that happened today. When the computer was restarted the computer got stuck on the Gateway logo screen and the power button would not shut the computer button off. My dad had to turn the computer and the power off on the surge protector and turn it back on. He finally did get it working, but I think a brand new computer shouldn't do that.

Could you please tell me what could cause that? Thank you.

Michelle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand new Gateway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand new Gateway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it is reproducible (not a one-time glitch) ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Brand new Gateway

I'd contact Gateway.

I assume that "restarting" means (in XP terms, I don't have Vista here) Start>Shutdown and then chosing 'shutdown and restart'. But just as well it could be coming up from hibernate.

Maybe, if you can tell more, somebody here has a bright idea. Info needed:
- is it a desktop or a laptop
- model
- BIOS type (if you know)
- what exactly triggers the situation (I gave 2 possibilities above)
- if it happens always or sometimes or practically never
- the version of the OS (Vista or Vista SP1)

I'm sure this can be solved well during the warranty period.

Kees

Collapse -
Well my dad isn't too worried about it
by metmichallica / September 14, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

being it only happened one, It is a Windows Vista 64-bit SP1, 4 gigs of memory, 640 gig hard drive. I asked him if he installed anything on it, he said he installed Windows Office Ultimate 2007. I remember once with a Windows 98 computer I had the same problem because of a new feature in Mcafee Virusscan.

I'm sure it is under warranty, I don't even think that computer is a month old yet. The computer was bought at best buy.

It's a desktop.

It only happened once and to tell you the truth I am not sure what he was doing when it happened. My dad doesn't think it's anything to worry about since it only happened once. Would you worry about it being it only happened once?

Thank you

Michelle

To shut down Windows Vista it's start and then there is an arrow next to lock the computer and the menu is right there after you click the arrow. A little menu that says

Switch User
Log Off
Lock
Restart
Sleep
Shut Down

This is the computer, being we got it at bestbuy though it did come with a monitor. It also I believe came with Norton 360 and not norton Internet security, but it's the exact same model and everything else is the same on it.
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668104.php

Collapse -
I would not worry about it...
by glenn30 / September 14, 2008 8:42 AM PDT

unless the glitch continues to occur with some frequency. These little things happen from time to time for no apparent reason.

Happy Computing!

Glenn

Collapse -
Thank you
by metmichallica / September 14, 2008 9:47 AM PDT

and I just like to add my dad got Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 through Mirosoft's Windows Feedback Program. It came April 26 in the mail, a very nice program and it was free. My dad didn't think it would come, but it did. Though I don't use office programs my dad really likes the program, he thinks it's the best office program, but he knows he would have never had the money to buy it. If it wasn't for this Microsoft program he wouldn't have got it.

His computer did come with a trial of another Microsoft Office program not the ultimate so he waited a little to put it on his computer and the fact that he still hasn't made restore disks.

Can you buy restore disks from Gateway? The only disk I think it came with is to install the operating system. We bought restore disks for this computer, though it's not a gateway, it's an hp.

Thank you.

Michelle

Collapse -
Restore/Recovery Disks...
by glenn30 / September 14, 2008 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Not sure of Gateway's procedure for restoring the computer to it's original state. Have your father follow his Manual Instructions about this and how to go about making Recovery Disks if that is Gateway's procedure. He can also check online with Gateway Support for this type of information and assistance.

In the event of a system crash or other catastrophe it is important to get this task done. Otherwise he will be without any way to restore to original factory condition and will loose the operating system. This is all conditioned on him not receiving a recovery disk at the time of purchase... most vendors do not furnish these anymore and leave it to the purchaser to make recovery disks.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but those are the basics.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?