Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

brainbuster brainbot?

by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 5:52 AM PDT

spybot s%d found it and removed it.
im toteally clean says avg, housecall, panda i looked at google search what and how it get in?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: brainbuster brainbot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: brainbuster brainbot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How I see most get in...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: brainbuster brainbot?

The usual is the exclusive use of Internet Explorer. Here's some passages for you to chew through.

" Some of the really sleazy parasites, particularly homepage-hijackers and diallers, execute by exploiting security holes in Internet Explorer, ways of getting code to run that are not supposed to be possible, but are due to mistakes in the browser code. "
- http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

" It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using a different web browser, especially when browsing untrusted sites. Such a decision may, however, reduce the functionality of sites that require IE-specific features such as DHTML, VBScript, and ActiveX. Note that using a different web browser will not remove IE from a Windows system, and other programs may invoke IE, the WebBrowser ActiveX control, or the HTML rendering engine (MSHTML). "
- http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878

For my part, the machines at home have all Internet Explorer links removed and the remaining use of IE is only for Windows Update. Since doing this, the results of Spybot, Adaware, and Housecall scans have found nothing.

Your choice on the matter.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How I see most get in...
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

well bob i use fire fox 99% time ie just to check for updates Sad
spybot removed it and i ran all othere cleaners im clean

Collapse -
IE, OE, OE, OE, IO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 6:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: IE, OE, OE, OE, IO.
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: IE, OE, OE, OE, IO.

i turned off the preview pain 2 yrs ago when i installed xp pro on this comp. plus i had that plain checked ty bob ill hope never comes back all proggys say im clean

Collapse -
Last idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 11:09 AM PDT

Well maybe. Take a deeper look with these two programs...

The first program I suggest is BHODEMON. It's very simple to use and you won't have much to research since... I've seen all of 6 BHOs on even an infected system. For some odd reason, this is an area that some tools miss.

The next program takes a lot more work. It's HIJACKTHIS. That one is best to make a log file and start digging. Be very careful about blasting off an item. Be very sure about it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Last idea.
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Last idea.

bob im getting all clean scans after house call removed it do you still think i need to do any more?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If clean, then we're done...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Last idea.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) squeaky clean ty bob
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: brainbuster brainbot?
by CharleyO / October 1, 2004 9:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
no charlie i dont but ty
by Mark5019 / October 1, 2004 10:48 AM PDT

im clean panda, housecall, symantec avg spybot adaware clean Grin

Collapse -
Re: brainbuster brainbot?
by brainbuster / October 11, 2004 8:43 AM PDT

Hi i'm brainbuster...

Im the author of brainbot ...
U are gettin that error cos brainbot server editor uses some skin files ...
Its just a fault of some stupid AV jerks...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.