TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BR disks of older movies as good as BR new movies?

Greetings,

Are BR disks of older movies (not shot with blue ray in mind) as good as BR disks of new movies?

Thank you and much appreciate your help.

Regards
Chesschess

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BR disks of older movies as good as BR new movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BR disks of older movies as good as BR new movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends of the condition of the master

In reply to: BR disks of older movies as good as BR new movies?

And how much care is given to the transfer process. I have seen movies that are only 15 years old that look underwhelming because the studios just took an bad old transfer and upped the resolution and pushed it out the door to make a quick buck.

But all things being equal, I do believe that even older film stock has the capability to be seen in higher resolution than a 1080p picture. I have heard that film grain is comparable to a 4K resolution.

Collapse -
+

How old are we talking here?

As a side thought, if you make a plaster cast of a footprint lifted from grass and compare it to a cast of a footprint lifted from snow you get very different results.

Collapse -
website that reviews the quality of newly released BR disks?

In reply to: +

Hello,
Thank you for your time and comments.

I wonder if say, Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo was released on BR, would it be that much better than the version onn DVD - both played on BR players. I guess it depends on the master.

I wonder if there is a website that reviews the quality of newly released BR disks?

Thx
Chesschess

Collapse -
between the few of you, you guys hit both factors.

In reply to: website that reviews the quality of newly released BR disks?

Master. Transfer. The first depends on the condition. The second takes pure time and money.

Nothing comes to mind as first rate "old" BDs. Hmmm. I think 2001 is supposed to be decent. Not reference PQ or anything, but quite an improvement.

The best transfers I've seen of "older" (not Vertigo old) are actually on HD-DVD. The two best I think of are The Thing and Darkman. Darkman has some of the most detailed faces Ive ever seen on either format. The color stock is representative of its time period; not as wide of a color palette. The Thing shows the master's age once in a while, but man, unbelievable man, unbelievable.

The Last Starfighter is a step down for sure.

Peter Jackson's The Frighteners is close to bottom of the barrel. Still a very fun movie, but PQ is a no go.

Ah yes, I have Life of Brian on Bluray. Its alright. Its ok. I also have Blazing Saddles, but waiting on a couple of friends before throwing that on.

Whether older, or current, the quality of master is often associated with the budget of the movie itself, AFAIK.

Here is one thread I use to get some help in PQ purchases for BD:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

You can also somewhat predict the PQ by the amount of gb's taken up on the 25g or 50g BD. Or the video bitrate. Bitrate is very variabe, a certain movie can have 5x the bitrate from one scene to another.

Bitrate specs, total, video, audio:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714

bluray stats:
http://www.blu-raystats.com/stats.php

Hope that gets you started.

If you want pristine transfers of older movies, Criterion is releasing their first 5 in November. I already have all 5 on preorder. Also, Godfather will be here in a week and a half, and is supposed to have gone thru a pristine transfer. If I understood correctly, even the DVD was using the same master as the VHS?

I really dont know much about this stuff I suppose. hope this helps.

Collapse -
and guess what

In reply to: between the few of you, you guys hit both factors.

last time I read about it, Criterion is pricing their DVDs at the exact same price as the Blurays for these releases.

Collapse -
One that skipped my mind:

Casablanca.

Its definitely not claimed to be perfect, or even comparable with the better PQ examples, but still a worthy improvement to be a worthwhile purchase.

Collapse -
Thank you

Greetings and thank you very much for your replies.
They are most helpful (-:

My new Pioneer LX508A arrived. Its amazing (-;

Blue ray is next.

Cheers
Chesschess

Collapse -
someother

In reply to: Thank you

good PQ 'old' movies (one's that I own)

Patton
Close Encounters
Blade Runner
The Omega Man
Dawn of the Dead 1978
Day of the Dead 1985
The Road Warrior (one seen, a night one, has lots & lots of film grain, but just lasts a few sec's)
Unforgiven (a few of the the night shoots could be better)
The Shininng

Blazing Saddles... Ok PQ

not so hot PQ

Goodfellas (looks like a dvd sometimes)
Total Recall (one of my worse PQ BD's, but it was just $12)
StarGate (outside stuff good/ok PQ but stuff indoors or nights suck)

Collapse -
I keep hearing about C.E. of the 3rd kind

In reply to: someother

and so I just ordered it. heh. It was always priced pretty high, even if its all of material/discs or something. well, it finally dropped under $20 with vendors at Amazon, so yay.

Patton, unfortunately, has been often noted for DNR. When I mentioned Casablanca, it was with a couple of consumers of HD-DVD. But, Ive heard the BD is also suffering from undue DNR.

Thumbs up on remastered Blade Runner... very good ...

Unforgiven is ok, imo, on HDDVD. Night scenes are almost always worse in every movie. They're tough, I believe they require faster film with low lighting.

Thanks for the review g.m.a.n. and the straw that broke the camel's back regarding CE3rd. I give in!

Collapse -
In the last week

In reply to: I keep hearing about C.E. of the 3rd kind

I watched Close Encounters and Pale Rider on Bluray. They are both top notch.

Close Encounters, there are 3 versions, and I watched the director's cut. It is the only Sony release to date with a DTS-MA track, which is what I selected. They included it due to Spielberg's demands.

Pale Rider was really superb, especially in terms of black detail or shadow detail, IMO. There was a bit of inconsistency in PQ, perhaps mostly near the beginning, but grain detail was top notch overall, especially for an older movie like this.

I give both movies the thumbs up for PQ.

Collapse -
A couple of good BD titles for me

In reply to: In the last week

Last week I bought "I Robot" on Blu-ray. The video quality is stunning. Audio mix is stunning. It's one of my favorite movies to show people what Blu-ray is all about. My other favorite movie is the remasterd Blu-ray of "The Fifth Element". It's almost unreal when you can see individual specs of sweat glisten on facial hair. You need to have the "re-mastered" version because the first Blu-ray version wasn't so good. You can tell because the aspect ratio of the re-mastered "Fifth Element" is 1.40:1.

Collapse -
Websites that offer BRD reviews.

www.dvdbeaver.com

www.highdefdigest.com

IMO, I think these are the best websites when it comes to Blu-ray reviews.

Collapse -
BD Reviews

AVS Forum reviews new BR DVD'd but you can start a new thread and ask the members. Home Theatre Magazine reviews new movies and that interesting because some moveie ar rated low.

Collapse -
As a daily visitor and contributor to many sub-forums

In reply to: BD Reviews

within AVS, I can tell you for a fact that no other sub-forum has moderators that close down as many threads as in the BD software & player forums. They get moved, or closed, on a regular basis.

These two are the subforums that require the search function more than any other.

I've probably posted in 20 subforums at AVS. Just an FYI.

Collapse -
Depends on many factors.

Yes and no, is my answer to your question.

Some older movies will look a lot better than some newer movies and vice versa.

It all depends on which Cameras were used, the quality of the actual 35/65mm film, and with older movies, what elements were used to make the HD master, and more importantly which generation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.