Peripherals forum

General discussion

Boycott Samsung! - Limericks inspired by inferior products

by jelley / March 1, 2008 3:20 PM PST

IMO Samsung ought to be boycotted. Their products are so inferior, they inspired my below limericks. They cost me hundreds in monetary loss, health loss, & aggravation. Samsung & a zillion other far-eastern-based companies have terrible customer support to boot.

SAMSUNG ML-2510 PRINTER LIMERICK

These printers cause lights to start blinking
Their infernal noise sets hearts sinking
Each warm-up takes AGES
Then WHAM! OUT SHOOT pages
Can't someone be sued for poor thinking?

SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER-SERIES LCD's LIMERICK

Samsung's LCDs made me ill,
Epoxies outgassed like to kill!
Strong phosphors so silent
They seemed quite non-violent...
Yet proved worse than some poisoned pill!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boycott Samsung! - Limericks inspired by inferior products
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boycott Samsung! - Limericks inspired by inferior products
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I read that it reminds me of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 9:29 PM PST

People with 2 year old failed printers that cost 49 to 199 bucks. Sadly they don't recall we used to spend 20 times that for printers that lasted 10 years.

Would you pay that price?

Collapse -
whose side are you on anyway?
by jelley / March 3, 2008 5:00 AM PST

The rich & famous? Or regular people who are just barely trying to scrape by, ever since the world has become so runaway high-tech filled with ever more toxic junk from the east?

Even CNET (believe it or not) posted something about it:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-105148-1.html

Also see Etoxics.org Toxics In Electronics:
http://www.etoxics.org/site/PageServer?pagename=svtc_toxics_in_electronics

And why should something need to be overpriced just to be non-toxic?
Ditto for "health foods". Once upon a time, "natural flavoring" was par for the course at your local market.
Nowadays, natural flavoring is considered a health-food item.
Does that make sense?

Maybe to you (judging by your above post).
Not to me.

Collapse -
I'm here to educate, discuss.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2008 5:03 AM PST

Printers and printing costs is a long discussion. But the good news is that for a fraction of what we paid a few years ago we get quite a nice printer.

I take it you didn't remember the days when PC owners didn't usually have a printer?

Bob

Collapse -
response
by jelley / March 3, 2008 5:23 AM PST

In the 80's I worked with top quality HP laserjets at my job.

In the 90's I owned an Okidata laser printer (forgot the model) that cost me a couple hundred, but it was solid stuff, printed 6ppm - smooth, no problems. Then it became discontinued (why??) and that was that. I couldn't get new cartridges, had to discard it.

Then a few years ago, I bought a used HP 6L laser (now in my basement, still functioning, still some toner left, but very slow at printing). I'm seriously considering bringing it back upstairs, because it's quiet, not a power guzzler and I can feed sheets individually. I may get rid of the Samsung if I can, despite its 12ppm. Why should I hold onto something that consumes as much power as a blowdryer each time I use it, and wait for it to warm up just to SHOOT out the very few pages I usually need?

I think some of the worst villains are companies such as Underwriters Labs and EnergyStar (the latter approves toxic LCDs & HDTVs). They shouldn't just approve products only on the basis of electric operation or energy efficiency! What about toxins! As an aside, I have an EnergyStar Kenmore SBS fridge, yet it seems to be running all the time (so much for energy savings).

As far as I'm concerned, the UL & EnergyStar labels are worth zilch.

Collapse -
Would you like to discuss how laser printers work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2008 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: response

Let the forum know what you want to discuss or just let loose with a rant but tell everyone it's a rant.

Collapse -
what I'd like
by jelley / March 3, 2008 5:42 AM PST
Since you ask so "tactfully", I'll respond candidly. I know as moderator you have the upper hand, and therefore consider yourself justified, but what I'd like is for you to stop picking on me.

Had you truly wanted to "educate" me, then in the other forum you'd have explained the name of the 4' cable I'm seeking as per my last response to you.

Instead, you chose to vilify me, why I don't know. Why bother to give a "villain" useful info? Instead you respond in ways which cause threads to drag out. That way, I can be accused of ranting.

I challenge any other hopefully-objective third-party to read the above thread carefully, as well as the below link to my recent post, and decide who posted innocently, with a basic Q, and who responded in an unwarranted way.

But again, I know you have the upper hand, so regardless, you'll do as you wish.

Here's the link referred to above:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7595_102-0.html?forumID=71&threadID=285523&messageID=2714870#2714870
Collapse -
P.S.
by jelley / March 3, 2008 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: what I'd like

To quote Dr.Seuss, who moderates the moderators?
(Seuss: "watch-watchers")

Collapse -
That would be Lee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2008 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: P.S.

Just click the report offensive link button and let it rip.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.