The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Boycott Best Buy

by GentlemenFirmware / March 14, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

As though I needed a reason to never visit Best Buy again, I was recently a victim of abuse at the hands of Best Buy's extended warranty plan. After two years of ownership my iPod video's battery no longer holds a charge. I took it in to the store I bought it from and sent it in for servicing. After two weeks the unit was returned and the battery had not been replaced. I was told that when it was tested the battery was shown to be within acceptable tolerances. I won't tolerate that response. I told customer service reps that I would never return and I would blog about my experience, post to all the forums I can find, and call all the tech podcasts I listen to with tales of their horrible service. I hope you'll join me in boycotting the incompetent retail giant. I look forward to never dealing with those blue shirted clowns again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boycott Best Buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boycott Best Buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not replace the battery yourself?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Boycott Best Buy

It's fairly cheap and many find them on google...

Collapse -
(NT) I only go to bestbuy to browse. I buy online.
by kwahhn / March 14, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
yeah
by mc4_a / March 14, 2008 6:53 AM PDT

Buying the extended warranty is dumb.

Collapse -
Not in my experience...
by n74jw / March 15, 2008 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

I buy from the manufacturer, and the warranty holds true. Apple just basically replaced my iPod after three years and a very dead battery. No questions asked. The extended warranty was Apple Care.

/N

Collapse -
Buying the extended warranty is dumb - NOT!!
by skellener / March 15, 2008 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

Sometimes, it's a good thing.

I bought the 60GB iPod-Photo when it came out. It worked great! It had USB 2.0 and Firewire. Then just before the year was up, it started acting flaky. I took it to Apple. The "Genius" did some tests. He got it working again, but said it would probably fail soon (the hard drive that is). I bought the $59 AppleCare extended warranty. Guess what? One month later it died! I brought it back. Sure enough, dead drive. This happened three more times in less than the second year. Ridiculous!

Finally the last time I took it in, the guy said that the iPod-Photo model was the one model always having to be replaced. I told him I was sick of having to come back in (the last one was only 2 months old). New iPods were due out the next week but I didn't care. I just wanted an iPod that worked. I asked him if there was something he could do to move the situation forward. I was thinking maybe a hundred bucks off a new one or something. I mean, this was just getting silly. He said to hang on. After a few clicks of is mouse, he asked what I thought about an 80GB Video iPod. I said sure, if it wouldn't die every 2-3 months. Bam! he gave it to me no charge. I still have it today. I haven't had any problems with it. June will be 3 years since I bought the initiall iPod-Photo.

The $59 AppleCare extended warranty was some of the best money I ever spent. I intend to buy another Applecare Extended warranty when I get a new iMac this year.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice
by GentlemenFirmware / March 14, 2008 9:40 AM PDT

I didn't know I could replace the battery myself. As someone who loves to take things apart, it seems like the most attractive option.

The iPod issue is just the last of many transgressions I've suffered at Best Buy. I too only go there to browse before I buy online because even when their prices are comparable any best buy purchase ends up being a hassle.

I've never bought the extended service plans before because I know that's where they make all their money and they're not typically worth it. But due to the ipod jenk factor and the fact that two battery replacements would make the policy pay for itself I made the mistake of opting for it. I'm a heavy ipod user and I'd never expected the battery to last two years. Credit apple for that.

Collapse -
my warrenty experience was exactly the opposite of yours.
by merrybrown / March 14, 2008 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the advice

My 3 yr old Toshiba laptop died 3 weeks before the end of my warranty.
I took it in, they sent it away and said the motherboard was cracked. It was replaced, and works fine now.
I sort of wish it didn't so I would have an excuse to by one with a dual core processor, but I am really glad I got the warranty.
I almost always get treated well by BestBuy. I love that the sales people are not on commission, so I never get pressured to buy one thing over another. I would keep going up the line at the store until you get what you deserve. Managers are usually pretty motivated to make thinks work out for their customers.

Collapse -
I HATE Best Buy
by fordo123 / March 14, 2008 1:41 PM PDT

Worst customer service experiences I (and my friends) have ever had have been there. They could not care less about cust service. The experience I have in a Best Buy store is always diametrically opposed to the experience I have in an Apple retail store.

I have been boycotting them for years. I only go there if I am desperate. I will not give them my cash. No way. They have blown every chance they have had with me.

Collapse -
Best Buy = Evil
by joedelco / March 15, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

Report them to the Better Business Bureau. One site you can go to to hear more about people like you or post your own story:

http://www.ihatebestbuy.com

There used to be a site called bestbuysux.org, but it seems that the owner of the site sold out to best Buy, cause now Best Buy has a feel good site up at that address that could have only been made by them.

Collapse -
my experiance with best buy
by mementh / March 15, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

its bad, and good but the bad outweighs the good imho

I bought my first Ipod from them, 5th gen video.. worked great, got the extended warrenty and used it 3 years out because the battery was starting to really go.

I go back a week or so later to buy a LCD monitor, and it was a returned monitor (i was told it was working fine)

I got it home and there was a bright blue pixel in the middle of the screen that would not turn off (even after running some screen fixers and other things)

I took it back to the store, the rep said ok and was going to replace it (remember this was a open box/returned item ) and the store iw as at had no more of them.

I took it to another local store to them and was flat out refused to exchange it.

They told me because it was an open box, that they could not, no exceptions no excuses.

Then they tried to tell me that ONE pixel was not working because there were missing pins in the VGA plug. *rolls eyes* and thats why they could not accept it back.

I even offered to pay the previous sale price for a new one (if i had bought it again new i would have paid $80 more then the open box item) they said no.

The manager just did NOT WANT TO WORK WITH ME.

They went around and around the block, till I said fine, and returned it. (got my money back)

I went over to staples, in that same complex, and bought the EXACT same monitor AT THE SALE PRICE (the rep honored it even though it was expired)

And now I refuse to go to best buy because one bad apple spoiled it.

Yes, i was taking a risk on a product that mich have scratches or such, but still be functional. It was not, it was defective in the equipment part.
Had it had a scratch on the back or paint on it or anything like that, i would never have had a problem.

ohh well Happy

Collapse -
Extended warranties and the myth of insurance
by punterjoe / March 15, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

Now that I have your attention (heh heh) let me state straight off that I'm NOT anti-insurance. I live in a town where driving without a license, valid registration, and compulsory auto insurance seems to be the major sport.
I just urge cynics-in-training to understand that most insurance is 2 - often contradictory - things. A 'safety net' to the buyer, and a 'profit center' to the seller. In other words, insurance is great until you need to use it. If you're dealing with a reputable seller, then they will understand that some percentage of the insured will need to collect. And because they're competent and have run the numbers, they will be prepared for this, and things will go smoothly. I have grave doubts that most extended warranties are designed to be anything other than 'magic beans' to sell to the chumps. I'm not calling anyone a chump. Maybe just a little too trusting of the motives of others. Even if you have a case, they have armies of people who have nothing better to do than to grind you down until you give up and go away. For some companies, that seems to be their business model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?