Computer Help forum

General discussion

Boy do I miss my puter....

by tragikomik / March 4, 2005 4:52 AM PST

So I went to install the drivers into the alternate hard drive since my regular drive is on the fritz, and I realize that when a frind of mine came by to borrow my ms office pro cd for his wife, that he took the whole 4 pack cd box that ALSO contained my drivers cd. Now he is in the hospital with a blood clot in his leg. I went to the library to download the driver for the Agere SV92 softmodem and I can't get IT to work. Any suggestions other than getting my drivers cd back? When I install the agere program, it goes ok, but the pc doesn't detect the modem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boy do I miss my puter....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boy do I miss my puter....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the Agere the original modem
by TONI H / March 4, 2005 5:19 AM PST

from what you had before?

If I remember correctly it used to be 156LVP-F50 Modem version 2.1.36 (and it could actually be an Agere) and I can email you the drivers if you need them, but I don't know where I would send them since you are only on the net somewhere else. You can do a search in google for that model number and download them yourself....the file name was actually win98.zip and it will fit on a floppy disk. You will have to extract them to a folder by themselves on the desktop and then browse to that folder when the drivers are needed.

If what I mentioned are the right drivers for the original modem installed, you will have to uninstall the first set of drivers you installed (possibly through Add-Remove Programs if they show up there)...or you will have to pull the modem physically, reboot to clear the registry information for the wrong stuff, shut down, put the modem back in and reboot again in order to install them.

TONI

Collapse -
yes it is
by tragikomik / March 4, 2005 5:44 AM PST

I56LVP-F50 is what the bar code label on the back of it says, Toni. But I can probably wait for him to bring it back to me, since I just found out he got out of the hospital today. I just thoght maybe there was something else I needed to do to get the file from Agere to recognize the modem. It says Agere on two of the chips is the reason I thought that was the brand name. Are there no drivers in the Win 98SE startup CD that would work with it enough for me to just get back on the internet to get the real ones? Plus I had FINALLY gotten the scanner to work the day the hard drive went out on me.... Silly

Collapse -
just wondering....
by tragikomik / March 5, 2005 12:53 AM PST

I got it straightened out, Toni. Thanks for the help! I was just curious, is there an easier way to detect all the hardware that is installed in a pc? Is the 'add new hardware wizard' detector that finds new pieces of the puzzle when you boot up pretty dependable? I have noticed that sometimes other pieces won't be detected until I open a program that I hadn't opened before. I know about opening the case and eyeballing everything, but it seems like someone (microsoft, for instance) would have come up with a program to detect at least the brand names and/or versions of new hardware.... Also, what do any of you suggest as a good way to keep up-to-date on driver updates? And lastly, when is IE 7.0 supposed to be available?

Collapse -
ID by maker and model number
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: just wondering....

Get Your Hardware Info For Free

Everything you ever wanted to know about what hardware you have installed by manufacturer and model number, you can get here for free.

It will not only identify your hardware for you, but it will also identify your software programs and give you product ID's, licensing and registration info, and version numbers of everything.

You can print it out and always have it handy for downloading newest drivers ahead of time prior to a format, and also keep track of your updates for Windows and other programs.

BELARC Hardware ID:

This one is FREE. Run it on line, D/L or copy to a floppy (500K+). Anyone who is wondering what is in their machine should find this useful.
http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

The "Belarc Advisor" is useful, and free for personal use. It "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware." It runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000 and XP, and in just a minute or so, creates a local web page (one that resides on your PC--- nothing is sent back to Belarc). The page contains a rundown of all the hardware in and attached to your system, plus information on all the installed software including license and version numbers. Makes a handy reference.

MORE FREE PROGRAMS TO GET YOUR HARDWARE INFO IS:

Everest Home edition is available on this website
http://www.lavalys.com\ There is a new V1.51 recently released.

AIDA32 - System Information Tool 3.93 4-25-04
http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml (read about it here)
The site describes the program, but they have stopped offering it or updating it......it can be still be downloaded from here or HERE though and works for all windows versions:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnldprog.htm

TONI

Collapse -
W98 itself has an option
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 1:04 AM PST

MSINFO and HWINFO

The MSINFO program can save details of your system configuration, putting them on a diskette. That's a great idea if you're a tinkerer who plays with installations and setups. It's in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE.

If you want another graphical look at your installed hardware, go to RUN, type HWINFO /UI and press Enter. I can't remember if this detailed list can be saved or printed, but it is jam-packed with info about your hardware.

These programs aren't available in XP. The only option you have is to go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Information. You have to click File in the toolbar in order to get the options to SAVE or PRINT.

TONI

Collapse -
Thats the ticket!
by tragikomik / March 6, 2005 2:31 AM PST

Thanks, Toni. My friend brought the drivers CD back to me the day he got out of the hospital, lol. I noticed that the pc was crashing kinda regularly, but I didn't realize that there was a problem with the hard drive. How many bad clusters are bad, just out of curousity?

Collapse -
Bad clusters are frequently caused
by Ray Harinec / March 6, 2005 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thats the ticket!

by the read/write heads dragging on the platter. In that case one is too many because they will keep occurring.

Just be sure to enable smart drive in the BIOS and when it says that the drive is having problems, take immediate actions.

Brand new drives can have bad clusters, but the set up at the mfrs facility has marked them so that they don't get seen or used.

The disk [platter] when mfd has more space than advertised to allow for the loss of some clusters during manufacture, before assembly.

Many drives have multiple platters, each of which have read/write heads on each side of each platter.

The info at the drive mfrs site will tell how many platters are in a specific model drive.

Collapse -
Hard drive info
by tragikomik / March 6, 2005 7:50 AM PST

Thanks folks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.