TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Boxee live chat with CNET editor Matthew Moskovciak

by CNET Event admin / November 5, 2010 3:07 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boxee live chat with CNET editor Matthew Moskovciak
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boxee live chat with CNET editor Matthew Moskovciak
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is Boxee Wireless?
by mg50cnet / November 23, 2010 1:22 AM PST

The 1st article I read about Boxee vompared it to other streaming devices and indicated that Boxee is not wireless. Can that be true???

Collapse -
The Boxee Box has built-in Wi-Fi
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Is Boxee Wireless?

There's built-in 802.11N Wi-Fi and it also has an Ethernet port.

Collapse -
Hey everyone, I'm ready for questions
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Boxee vs WMC

What functionality does Boxee box provide that Windows Media Center does not?

Collapse -
I'm not as familiar with Windows Media Center
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Boxee vs WMC
Collapse -
Is Boxee being blocked at network sites?
by rmgreenfield / November 23, 2010 1:31 AM PST

It seems that since the networks are blocking their sites we are losing major functionality. It is also making it harder to go cable free:-(.

Collapse -
Boxee Box is being blocked
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:33 AM PST

When I did the review last week, Hulu and a few of TV networks were blocking Boxee Box. It does limit the functionality of the Boxee Box and Google TV products, which are relying on built-in browsers for a lot of content.

Collapse -
Programming
by jimslag / November 23, 2010 1:32 AM PST

What sort of programming is available?

Collapse -
Not much
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Programming

Which was our major issue with Boxee Box when we did the review. Apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu are "coming soon", so much of the content is limited to web-centric content. We were able access "Comedy Central" programming and "Conan", although I haven't checked since Viacom started blocking Google TV products.

Collapse -
Support questions ignored.
by xanpyzz / November 23, 2010 1:32 AM PST

On 2 occasions I wrote Boxee through their support - both times it generated the so called 'ticket' -over a week and a half now they have ignored both - they are going force folks to return the product. Yes there is potential but this is no way to handle minor issues. Where is the support?

Collapse -
Sorry to hear about your support problems
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 2:25 AM PST
Collapse -
HTPC VS. Boxee
by hdogger1 / November 23, 2010 1:33 AM PST

How does a HTPC compare to Boxee. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both

Collapse -
HTPC is more complicated, but gives you more options
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: HTPC VS. Boxee

In general, you can do more with an HTPC, but it's really for power users. Streaming media boxes like Boxee and Roku make it easy for just about anybody to enjoy streaming media in the living room.

One big advantage HTPCs have is that they are unlikely to ever got blocked from streaming video from major content providers (Hulu, TV networks), which is happening to products like Boxee Box and Google TV.

Collapse -
DJ
by Cnetupdates / November 23, 2010 1:35 AM PST

Does Boxee, or any of the newer devices like it, allow for bypassing cable tv (comcast or the like)?

Collapse -
Potentially, but it's still tough
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: DJ

I've been able to cut my cable subscription using Netflix, Amazon VOD and over-the-air HDTV, but I also don't watch a lot of TV. Boxee Box isn't my first choice for cord cutters because it currently doesn't have Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon VOD. You can read about Senior Editor David Katzmaier's recent attempt to cut the cord here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20023659-1.html

Collapse -
Research Ananlyst
by Rvallon / November 23, 2010 1:36 AM PST

I have a new HP Desktop
Elite series with Windows 7
Home and Office 64 bit;
with Office 2010.

I have triple play with Comcast.

What's the best device for my family to save money yet get close to what we get with triple play? Thanks.

Collapse -
I've cut the cord, here's how I do it
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Research Ananlyst

To me, the best combination of services to cut the cord is Netflix, Amazon VOD and over-the-air HDTV. I use a TiVo HD as my over-the-air DVR, Amazon VOD is built into my Panasonic plasma, and I get Netflix with my PS3.

However, you can add Netflix and Amazon VOD cheaply to a home theater with a Roku XDS or Sony SMP-N100. If your TV has a built-in ATSC tuner--and you don't need a DVR--you can get over-the-air programming like that. There's also the Channel Master DVR for over-the-air recording without a monthly fee: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011472-1.html?tag=mncol;txt

Collapse -
Networked media files
by LarryH / November 23, 2010 1:36 AM PST

Can it play media files stored on a home network?

Collapse -
Yes
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Networked media files

One of the current strengths of the Boxee Box is that it has extensive codec support for your own media files stored on a home network.

Collapse -
Is there a product that can send PC video over IP?
by rmgreenfield / November 23, 2010 1:36 AM PST

If one has WMC and IE8 can we send the video and audio directly to an HDMI input on the TV or AV amp.

Collapse -
I'm not 100% clear on this question
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:44 AM PST

But you can always access web video by connecting a PC with an HDMI output directly to a TV. I've also seen demos of the Veebeam (review coming soon), which basically takes screen captures and sends it to your TV wirelessly.

Collapse -
netflix now?
by clark1985 / November 23, 2010 1:37 AM PST

is there third party software out there to make netflix and hulu available now?

Collapse -
Not that I know of on Boxee Box
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: netflix now?

Boxee is promising Netflix by the end of the year. Perhaps it's possible to hack a Boxee Box to play Netflix and Hulu, but I'm not aware of it.

Collapse -
Boxee vs Boxee software
by Bill Rodman / November 23, 2010 1:38 AM PST

What are the advantages of using the Boxee box over using a computer running the Boxee software on a PC that is connected to the TV?

Collapse -
Convenience
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 2:05 AM PST

I haven't used Boxee software running on a PC, but the idea with Boxee Box is that you don't need to do any additional configuration to get it working. Buy the box, connect it to the TV and you're ready to go--you also get the unique remote. You can probably build a more powerful machine if you roll-your-own, but again, that's going to be for power users.

Collapse -
Logitech Revue
by rmgreenfield / November 23, 2010 1:42 AM PST

I think that the Revue has more feature and functionality using Google TV, is that correct?

Collapse -
I'd agree
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Logitech Revue
Collapse -
Limitations?
by mattburley1993 / November 23, 2010 1:43 AM PST

What limitations are on the Boxee Box compared to Boxee on my Acer Aspire Revo Net Top. Does it play video better than that or worse? Thank you For your time!

Collapse -
I haven't used the Acer Aspire Revo Net Top myself
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 23, 2010 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Limitations?
Collapse -
Best
by mattburley1993 / November 23, 2010 1:46 AM PST

Which box do you prefer for watching RSS podcasts from sites like CNET TV and Revision3? I currently use Boxee on Acer Revo. Is this the best way to do it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.