HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Bought Mac at yard sale

by Mean Sol / September 24, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

I picked up a mac at a yard sale a few months ago and I can get into it since their is no password for some users, but I cant do a whole lot with it since I do not have the admin password. I also do not have any discs to reload all the software and just start out fresh. This is my first Mac and the only reason I got it was that my girlfriend thought it was just a flat screen monitor and she knew I wanted one so she got it for me. So here Is what I have....Apple g5 with bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse, wired camera. I have never owned a Mac before so I do not know how to reformat the harddrive, or even know if this is possible. What discs will I need to make sure I reset everything as if it were new?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bought Mac at yard sale
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bought Mac at yard sale
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
details
by Mean Sol / September 24, 2007 8:11 AM PDT

Here are some details I forgot to post...

iMAC G5
PowerMac 8,1
PowerPC G5(3.0)
1.6GHz

Collapse -
One suggestion
by Dan Filice / September 24, 2007 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: details

To reset the Administrator Password, you will need the Install disc. If the computer did not come with the original software disc, you will need to buy a new set. I suggest buying Tiger (OSX 10.4). Then, insert the Install disc and restart the computer. When you hear the startup tone, hold down the "C" key until you see the spinning gear. When the Installer appears, choose Utilities>Reset Password.

Collapse -
That's a decent machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: One suggestion

How much did she have to give for it, if it's not a rude question.

I wish I could find one like that!

P

Collapse -
whats the point of entering a subject on every reply?
by Mean Sol / September 24, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

I think she gave $75 for it. I wonder if I could just use it as a monitor for my other computer, or use the wireless keyboard and mouse on my ps3?

Collapse -
No, you can't do that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

For $75 you have yourself a good machine that only needs the OS X installation disks.
For $99, you can have that machine up and running to your specs.

The mouse and keyboard are BlueTooth.

There is no Video IN on the computer.

A subject line helps those that read the forums to see the flow of information.

If you don't want that machine, let me know. I'll take it

P

Collapse -
No, I'll take it!!
by Dan Filice / September 25, 2007 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No, you can't do that

I agree. If the poster has any doubts about this computer, I'll but it for more than what he paid. I've had an 17" iMac for over 3 years and it's running flawlessly and it's a workhorse. The only thing that will make the machine stop working is if I ever need software that needs the new Intel machine. I wouldn't mind having a G5 to take over for my iMac.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.