Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Bought a Zen Vision:M, not satisfied, going back to iPod

by bevillan / October 19, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

So I bought a Zen Vision:M player last week because I am looking to replace my 3 year old iPod-mini and I had read rave reviews about the M. The player itself is very nice, although the controls interface is not as sleek as an iPod's. The video quality was great and sound quality too...but WHY did creative have to include such a crappy software program for uploading media?

First off I loaded some songs to test it out and then saw that I could just sync it with WMP and I did that to save some time, but WMP didn't over-write the songs/videos that I had manually placed there, it just put copies of each file. So that was a pain in the butt to fix that.

After using iTunes for 3 years I guess i got spoiled with the drag and drop technique because uploading music into the M took at least twice as long.

I am going to return it and get either a new 30 GB iPod or a new green Nano. The M may have better video quality and comparable sound quality as an iPod, but whoever came up with that software interfacing program should be fired.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bought a Zen Vision:M, not satisfied, going back to iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bought a Zen Vision:M, not satisfied, going back to iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Creative Zen Player software
by profmuggs / October 19, 2006 3:13 AM PDT

I have to question the motive of your post when you take the time to write a review and post it, but you don't take the time to read the manual of your purchase.

I like Creative's players, and I think their software is more than adequate. You shouldn't have to use Windows Media player if you use the Creative Mediasource Organizer. Creative's own software allows you to easily drag and drop files, is ad free, and is not as intrusive (services always running in the background) or DRM laden as iTunes.

If you don't like the Creative software, there are alternatives. The best one I have found is made by Red Chair Software and is called NotMad explorer. This software streamlines a lot of the controls and also adds a streaming feature where you can listen to your mp3s from other computers on your network.

Collapse -
mediasource
by bevillan / October 19, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

I used the Zen Vision:M media explorer software and not the mediasource, I think. Also, the Zen would not recognize all the tags that I set for my songs via iTunes so songs that have weird file names showed up that way instead of by Artist/Song that I manually put in on iTunes.

It is ridiculous to offer two different programs for uploading media to your player, just give the consumer the easiest to use without offering lesser fluff for us to install.

Collapse -
Media Explorer
by profmuggs / October 19, 2006 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: mediasource

I admit the file name problem sounds like a glitch, but you may want to check and make sure that your files are tagged for both ID3v1 and v2. A free program like tagscanner could help clean up your tags if you have a mix of the two.

I guess Creative included 2 versions of the software for different types of users. One is a media organizer and player similar to iTunes, and the other is a file browser similar to Windows Explorer. People who are only now beginning to discover MP3s but have a solid understanding of a windows file manager may feel more comfortable with the Explorer. Others may like the Mediasource Organizer better since it mimics the de facto standard, iTunes.

I disagree with the statement that this extra software is fluff. If anything it's very functional to the types of users that it is geared toward. iTunes has plenty of fluff, for example: the little burn button that has to be activated, then pressed again after the little animation.

Basically, I guess it comes down to a matter of taste. I prefer Creative's products, while I also dislike the fair-use stifling effect that the iPod has on the industry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?