TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bought a new HD LCD, av receiver and need wiring help...

by GoSteelers1 / April 3, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

I just purchased a whole new set up and am JACKED! My question is this... how do I cable it? I want to do this in advance so I can buy cables online and not get gouged at BB and CC ($149 for 16' HDMI????)

I bought:
52 Mitsu LCD 1080p 120hz w 3 HDMI
Onkyo TX SR605 w/ ipod dock 2 hdmi in and 1 out
Xbox 360
Direct TV HD
DVD w HDMI

I originally thought about running DirectTV, DVD and Xbox directly to TV with 3 HDMI and an audio cable of some sort back to the receiver (digital audio?).

Is this the best way to do it? I have had feedback that says to use the receivers capabilities for DTS, Dolby etc and go from Direct tv dvd to receiver then to tv and xbox to tv...

Thanks in advance, everything gets here next Thursday!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bought a new HD LCD, av receiver and need wiring help...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bought a new HD LCD, av receiver and need wiring help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes, that would constitute gouging ;)
by Pepe7 / April 3, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

Next time try monoprice.com, or bluejeanscable.com

Both are reputable and much cheaper than the big-box stores for often times better quality cable.

Personally, I would avoid using a lower-end receiver for the switching and run individual HDMI cables directly from each component to the HDTV. But I will defer to the experts. You can at least experiment to find which combination gives you the best mix of video quality/ease of controls for the whole rig. Congrats!

-Pedro

Collapse -
Pedro suggests good sources.
by NM_Bill / April 3, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

The Onkyo 605 i9s by no means a low end receiver, but a great value package.

We of normal pocketbooks have no need for esoteric price cables. Monoprice is fine for the short lengths. If & when one needs a long run, then is time to pay a bit more & make sure the Bluejeans type cable is certified for the HDMI 1.3a wide bandwidth.

PS: Former burgher here.

Collapse -
Best way to wire
by GoSteelers1 / April 3, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

I have done business with mono and more with showmecables.com, the prices are much more "normal" than box stores.

I am trying to determine the right way to wire it so as to buy the cables now so they are here when the stuff arrives... thoughts?

Collapse -
low end wasn't the whole sentiment...
by Pepe7 / April 3, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

Onkyo makes a great rig, that's for sure. I have no complaints with my own(!) But what I was getting at is that perhaps the video switching element could be better handled by a higher end receiver with more under the hood. At the very least I would compare directly to the hdtv vs. switched.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Follow up
by GoSteelers1 / April 3, 2008 1:40 PM PDT

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone had run into this and had "the answer", and frankly was hoping to save quite a bit of money skipping the test.

The TV will be mounted to the wall, almost 20' from the receiver and other electronics, with all the wiring running through a pipe I built inside the wall, all of which makes the testing and experimenting expensive.

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate the knowledge share.

Collapse -
dont run right to TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Brolix / April 4, 2008 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow up

DO NOT RUN THEM directly TO THE TV!!!! the onkyn has hdmi switching!!!! Run two hd sources via hdmi into the 605, and then use component for the rest...and then have one hdmi running from the onkyo into the tv. plus everything into the receiver. i have an onkyo tx-sr 674 and this is how i have everything setup. surround channels can travel over hdmi so one plug will take care of video and audio. i repeat, do not run sources directly to tc, as you will miss out on highest quality surround audio from hdmi!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.