Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Botulism question

I can all of my own veggies, and curious about something. Canned tomatoes require boiling at high temps prior to canning, then they are pressure cooked again in order to seal the jars. This normally prevents the botulism spore. But....

If the jar has been on the shelf for a while prior to using it, and it is used in food, such as homemade soup, and cooked again at a high temp/boil as the soup is cooking, does that also eliminate any spores that may have been in the jar if it was still sealed when opened?

I can't find anything about that scenario on the net.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Botulism question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Botulism question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't say... but...

In reply to: Botulism question

I don't believe the spore is what you have to worry about anyway. The bacterium produces a toxin and it is that toxin that will hurt you (or smooth your wrinkles if you go to a plastic surgeon for injections).

Will re-heating up the canned food destroy the toxins? That would be the question?

grim

Collapse -
Boiling, not reheating

In reply to: I can't say... but...

supposedly kills the toxins, so since the tomatoes were boiled first, then a second time in the pressure cooker, and will be boiled again during the soup making process, I'm asking if there would be any chance that toxins were still in the jar since it sat cooled for over a year or more on the shelf before use. I've never had a problem with my canned food before so I'm thinking they are fine since I've used canned jars up to five years on the shelf before with no problems.

Just got to wondering about it for some reason today. lol

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) You should be good, check out the link below.

In reply to: Boiling, not reheating

Collapse -
Does this help?

In reply to: I can't say... but...

Foodborne">http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html]Foodborne botulism (as distinct from wound botulism and infant botulism) is a severe type of food poisoning caused by the ingestion of foods containing the potent neurotoxin formed during growth of the organism. The toxin is heat labile and can be destroyed if heated at 80

Collapse -
Canned tomatoes

Never pressure cooked 'em. Just put them in a sterile glass jar and then a boiling water bath until the seal seated. I would think the acidity of tomatoes would preclude botulism from gaining a foothold. But please don't get sick on what I have said.

Tom

Collapse -
A little more research

Acid foods, such as tomatoes and fruits, if properly selected and processed, do not support the growth of Clostridium botulinum and may be canned in a boiling water bath if current, research-based instructions are followed. The addition of acid in the form of lemon juice or citric acid is recommended in all tomato products canned in a boiling water bath as a precautionary measure.

http://tinyurl.com/y84luk

Found this site helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/ydx4p9

Tom

Collapse -
rules to live by

#47 - When in doubt, throw it out

Collapse -
That's my rule, too!

In reply to: rules to live by

The way I learned it was always to inspect all canned items before consuming, and I don't take chances here.

If the seal is popped or broken - out it goes.
If it looks different, discolored, funny, fuzzy - out.
If it smells funny - out.

...and as you stated, when in doubt, throw it out.

Collapse -
I can't add to what the others have said except....

A good while ago, when I was still cooking, I read somewhere that boiling for 20 minutes kills the spores. But that was a good while ago.

Have you ever tried freezing the tomatoes? When I had my garden I did that every year. I would peel and chop them, then freeze them double-bagged in one recipe portions. I even used some I had frozen the year before, and they were still fine. I made spaghetti sauce, soup, sauce for pasta, etc.

The difference was that they all had a fresh tomato taste.

Of course, I had no home-canned ones for comparison, but there was a definite difference using the frozen over the commercially canned.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Thanks to everybody for their help

In reply to: I can't add to what the others have said except....

I had used my last two jars of canned tomatoes from the root cellar to make my homemade soup a few months ago that was then frozen without eating any while it was freshly made. It was only when I pulled it out of the freezer today (small containers of it for one person meals)today to make some for lunch that I remembered the two jars. I already ate so if nobody hears from me in two days, you'll know why. LOL

This summer, I had a garden in very late so the few tomatoes I got from that were all frozen after cooking the skins off. I haven't used them yet though.

TONI

Collapse -
Nutritional value may degrade some

In reply to: Thanks to everybody for their help

over time. If it is stored long enough, I guess you could still put it on your face. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) I boil all my jars before use, new or used.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.