HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Both CD drives not recongized

by drykert / October 28, 2004 8:35 PM PDT

HELP... I am running Win. XP and both CD drives are no longer accesable. Have tried restore, unplugging cable to drives, deleting drives under device manager and reinstalling, unplugging cables from drives and redoing uninstall, put different Cd drive in that came from working system. None of these has helped. Power is to both drives and doors open and close. Don't know what else to do and system did not have a restore disk provided when purchased. Is my only solution formatting and buying new windows platform? All updates from Microsoft have been maintianed and SP2 was added. Adaware and Norton are run on this machine. Thanks for all anticipated suggestions. Best regards, Del R.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Both CD drives not recongized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Both CD drives not recongized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Both CD drives not recongized
by eyemid / October 31, 2004 9:56 AM PST

hi dude

Well once my hard disk and cd were not working. The problem was the cable. Are both cd conncted trhu the same cable? if so try changing the cable or switch one of the cdroms to the cable connecting the harddisk. see if it works.

if that doesn't help try switching the cable's position on the motherboard.

One last suggestion, change the jumpers on the cd-roms and see if it works.

That;'s all i can offer.
eyemid

Collapse -
by billv / October 31, 2004 10:35 PM PST

Del,

It's a bit unclear what initiated your problem: Did the problem start when you upgraded to SP2 or was it during some hardware modification?

I had a similar problem a couple months ago when I removed a CD R/W drive from my XP system. That turned out to be a jumper configuration problem. There should be 3 jumpers on the back of each CD drive. One is for IDE master, the second for IDE slave, and the 3rd is "Cable Select", meaning the position of the drive on the cable determines whether it's master or slave. If you have 2 drives and both are trying to be either master or slave, you'll have this kind of problem.

Does your power on self-test recognize either or both of your drives? If not, the previous answer about trying a different cable may be the solution.

Unfortunately, you may have made the problem worse by trying to uninstall XP device drivers when you don't have a system restore disk. You may be able to borrow an XP CD from a friend to reload the CDROM drivers. You might also be able to download XP drivers from the CDROM manufacturer's website.

Hope this helps. Regards, Bill V

Collapse -
by drykert / November 1, 2004 12:30 AM PST

Hi Bill.. Thanks for your reply. A am trying to get a friends computer running better. He originally had a worm many months ago which he removed with a micorsoft remove tool he claimed. I am not sure on that but I ? that. When I picked up his machine I went to install my ISP provider as I use a phone line and he uses a cable modem discovered he had no CD drive access. He states it was working last time he tried them many days maybe even a few weeks before. I figured the restore command might bring them back.. Went to device managers and saw the yellow exclamation and that was when I decided restore was safest choice without a restore CD.. Don't know why "Circus" City didn't give him one with his HP system. That didn't work to a known good working date so then tried to get windows to do a fresh install on them even swapping out the physical drive and putting in one from my working system. Both of these CD drives were working fine when I installed 2nd drive. I will look harder at the jumpers but I have tried only one at a time to get something working again and suspect the drivers are corrupted. The system rund very sluggish. Over 4 minutes to boot to give you an idea. 3 minutes to wake up from hibernate. Which shows how messed up it is. If I knew which files need to stay active in the startup sequence I would shut everything else off and see if that would have helped the running and boot up times. He has ordered a replacement resotre CD from HP but it may not arrive in time before they leave for they leave for the sunbelt this winter. I appreciate your suggestions and have tried a different cable that was pulled from my working system. I am always trying to use what are good know hardware items to know that it sin't a hardware issue.. Sorry so long but I wanted to get all the facts acrossed and an IT I'm not but sometimes wish I was... grin... I think.. Thanks again.. Del

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.