Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Bot in quarantine

I have a backdoor.irc.bot in quarantine under Norton 360. With this bot in quarantine am I safe for online activities like banking and email?

I've done virus definition updates and tried to do the scan in safe mode but the Norton 360 does not allow safe mode operations. I got on another thread with Windows Vista asking how to remove it but it is unclear what files I'm allowed to delete. This backdoor bot has attached itself to 6 processes, 2 files, 68 registry files, 138 host file entries and 1 browser cache. The instructions I got told me to go to the system restore and shut it off. I did, then do a scan; well now I can't find the bot because it's in quarantine. Am I supposed to restore all the files it's originally attached to so that I can try to kill it with another av or malware software?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bot in quarantine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bot in quarantine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, do not restore the infected file from quarantine

In reply to: Bot in quarantine

Hi,

You should not restore it if it is confirmed malware. It is in quarantine now which means it cannot do anything anymore. Just run a full system scan (make sure that Norton is configured to scan all files) to see if Norton will find anything else or any related malware to what it has quarantined.

If you want to doube-check that there's no more infection, run an online scan using online scanner.

Also, when the system is confirmed clean, you should re-enable System Restore.

Collapse -
Norton 360 will scan in Safe Mode

In reply to: Bot in quarantine

Hi sdhuntl,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Infected files that have been quarantined by Norton 360 do not pose any risk to your computer as they are hidden and stored in a special location on your disk.

It appears that you are using an older version of Norton 360. Norton 360 Version 3 does allow for Safe Mode scanning and also contains many new and enhanced features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats. Since you had a Trojan infection, as long as you have a valid subscription to Norton 360 version 1 or 2, you are entitled to a free update to Version 3. Please NOTE, while this process will update Norton 360 to the latest version, it will not extend your subscription. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

Once the update is complete, launch Norton 360 version 3, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates". If any updates are installed, restart your computer, but boot into "Safe Mode with Networking". Launch Norton 360 version 3 and a "Comprehensive Scan" will begin and check your computer for infections.

Thanks,
Mike

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!