Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Boss' computer hit by virus. Trustport took over.

My employer's computer was hit by a virus. The tech guy had her install Trustport. I went to do a backup and found out that some of the apps were not Window's apps but they were third party apps that said "create free account".

My employer never made a backup of Windows and I feel that some of the Windows apps have been replaced by "pay as you go" or "create free account".

I'm basically thinking that I have to ask to buy Windows and download the drivers.

Shouldn't computers be free? We don't need a pay as you go system. Right?

ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boss' computer hit by virus. Trustport took over.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boss' computer hit by virus. Trustport took over.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520

Collapse -
Re: buy Windows

In reply to: Boss' computer hit by virus. Trustport took over.

Didn't the computer come with Windows? Then it's bought already. Most computers nowadays have some form of system recovery (back to factory conditions) built in. The tech guy should know. If not, better start searching for a better one.

Kees

Collapse -
The Boss has Windows 8

In reply to: Re: buy Windows

The computer tech at work may have built it. The boss has WIndows 8.

She wanted Virus protection and the tech put Trustport in.

Collapse -
If files are missing, system recovery won't help?

In reply to: Re: buy Windows

Collapse -
Answer
Honestly

Honestly, it sounds like either you need a new tech person for the office or you don't have the requisite technical competence needed to understand what that tech person may or may not have done, meaning it would be difficult for us to be of any assistance remotely with half-understood information that may well be lacking things of vital importance.

So, if you question the competency of your current tech person, I'd suggest working on your boss to get a second opinion or even a third. Someone who knows what they're doing needs to be able to dissect what the current person did and then decide if the person is incompetent as you seem to believe they are. Put an ad up on Craigslist or something and you'll probably have 50 people within an hour responding who are willing to take a crack at it if you don't live in some tiny little backwater community. If any of them can put together a detailed report on what the current person did wrong, you can feel free to post the highlights here for vetting to see if the person is just listing off a bunch of unimportant things in an effort to pad their report and make it seem more impressive. Assuming there was some kind of negligence or incompetence on the part of the current person, you could opt to replace them with the person who puts forward the best analysis of what was done wrong and how to correct it.

Collapse -
I'm not trying to pinpoint blame

In reply to: Honestly

I'm not trying to pinpoint blame or cause trouble. Everyone has good relationships that I do not want to change. I'm just a pea in the pod.

My options are what? Do I need to reinstall Windows 8 or can it be rolled back to factory conditions?

Collapse -
In that case

In reply to: I'm not trying to pinpoint blame

In that case, trust that the existing person knows what he/she is doing and let them sort it out. The only reason you would need to be involving the likes of us is if you suspect this person is incompetent or doing something untoward.

Collapse -
The person is a professional. We don't know why he chose it

In reply to: Honestly

The person builds and fixes computers. The person maintains a network but is just a contractor and friend.

Collapse -
If your boss hires him ...

In reply to: The person is a professional. We don't know why he chose it

to build, install and maintain his PC, you should stay away of it as far as possible. And certainly not change anything, let alone do something like reinstalling Windows.

Kees

Collapse -
Employers don't want to hear that.

In reply to: If your boss hires him ...

Employers don't want to hear that.

Trustport acts like it is a big sandbox. I went to backup the computer and the programs they installed work and the Windows apps to backup the computer weren't there because Trustport forwards me to their programs so it is like "Pay as you go".

Trustport reports that there are a number of problems like Window Registry Errors and other things but you have to pay a fee for another program to fix it.

The boss called Trustport and had them take their backup programs off but I have a feeling that when the subscription to Trustport runs out, I'm going to find out that this computer has issues and should be wiped clean with Windows re-installed and that the backups won't work after Trustport's subscription runs out.

I don't want to take responsibility for fixing a computer that isn't mine so I agree with you in that respect.

Collapse -
Why would it be?

In reply to: Employers don't want to hear that.

This other guy installed some dubious software, so let your boss demand they come back in and get rid of it. Why should you be involved at all, except as a passive bystander?

Collapse -
I'm involved because she is tired of paying out money.

In reply to: Why would it be?

I'm involved because she is tired of paying out money.

Collapse -
System(s) issues

In reply to: The person is a professional. We don't know why he chose it

I am in line with Jimmy. IMOP the system should be isolated and cleaned up by someone who has considerable technical expertise and IMOP, Trustport would not be a realistic choice for network protection, again, IMOP.

Collapse -
Answer
Reminds me of used car lots you avoid

All the ones that say "Honest .........'s Pre-Owned Car Sales!".

Your boss would do better with Easus Todo backup software.

Collapse -
Answer
Shouldn't computers be free? We don't need a pay as you go

"Shouldn't computers be free? We don't need a pay as you go system. Right?"

If they were free they would be shackled to some system to generate revenue otherwise no one would write apps or even make a PC.

Why buy Windows now? You claim the boss has Windows 8 so what's to buy? Also, many folk can use Linux for the basics of email, word processing, the web and more.
Bob

Collapse -
I use SolydK Linux

In reply to: Shouldn't computers be free? We don't need a pay as you go

for everything now except for ocassional game playing and Amazon movies.

MS Windows is just for toying around now.(literally)

I built a new computer a month or so ago and installed Win 8.1 and have no need for it except when niece comes by (maybe twice cause' she's in college now) to play Dragon Age.

I do everything on Linux, Banking, taxes, spread sheets, monthly reports , e-mails, ordering supplies for Legion post. you name it. Even run our security system through Linux.

Windows is so 90's

Digger

Collapse -
Sadly I think the CONDUIT issue may cost MSFT.

In reply to: I use SolydK Linux

Collapse -
Search Conduit is on the computer too.

Search Conduit is on the computer too.

Collapse -
(NT) Time to fix that before it fixes you.

In reply to: Search Conduit is on the computer too.

Collapse -
Boss's Computer

In reply to: Time to fix that before it fixes you.

Don't Touch. Just Warn

Collapse -
Or use the usual shop counter excuse.

In reply to: Boss's Computer

"Your computer was eaten by a virus."

Collapse -
Why all the negative remarks that I shouldn't fix it?

In reply to: Boss's Computer

My wife's computer was hit by a virus and I ended up putting in a new hard drive and installing Windows XP so the idea that I can't fix something is not based on evidence.

Collapse -
Nobody here ...

In reply to: Why all the negative remarks that I shouldn't fix it?

said you wouldn't be able. Just that it's a bad idea to interfere with the work of a contracted professional as long as he is contracted and responsible.

The story is totally different if your boss ends the contract she has with him and appoints you as manager and tech for her PC (and maybe all other IT in the company, because it can't be expected that that guy accepts this intrusion and continues working on the other equipment as if nothing happened).

Kees

Collapse -
Truth comes out

In reply to: Nobody here ...

I'm off the case. Truth comes out. The program wasn't from the tech guy. Boss clicked on a virus and a phone number came up. Boss paid for the virus protection.

Tech guy is handling it. No longer my headache.

Collapse -
But wait

But wait, I thought it was the IT guy's responsibility to fix it, after all he is, as you said, the professional and should be able to figure it out. At this point, I'd be getting a second opinion, especially if no one has researched the conduit fix(es).

Collapse -
It's good to be able

to fix these things on your and wife's computer , but if you work on the company's computer and it goes south , you're gonna be the heavy and the tech you speak of will lay the blame on you.

No negativity intended towards you.

Let the tech fix the problems they created.

Digger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.