TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bose 901 problem

Hi
I am looking for some advice.
I have just purchased some Bose 901 speakers along with the 901VIE equalizer this is matching in with a Onkyo A9755B amplifier. I have connected them up and I just dont seem to be getting the quality of sound that it should have, it seems to have very little base. I have adjusted the equalizer but this doesnt make any difference which leads me to believe it isnt working. It has power and is connected correctly but even when i turn the equalizer off there is no change in the sound. The instuctions mention to turn the tape button on the amplifier off but there is no tape button there is only a tape selector.

Does any one have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks

I have inlcuded a link to the amplifier that is in question

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/a-9755_9555_manual_e.pdf

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bose 901 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bose 901 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yeah..

In reply to: Bose 901 problem

Yeah BOSE 901's are notoriously difficult to get sounding properly.

My uncle eventually had to get some.. more or less.. pure bass cabinets to give a fuller sound. It was loud, proud and he blew more than a few amplifiers running with the setup. (Mostly because the volume was loud enough to cover an entire city block.)

With BOSE 901's, you need a very specific kind of amplifier, that can output one hell of a lot of wattage to get the proper sound out of 'em.

In my experience with those particular speakers, anyway.
Hope I helped a bit.

Collapse -
Agree

Bose 901's have always been difficult to get really good Bass from no matter what they are hooked, at least in my opinion. Consider adding a sub-woofer that should fill in the base real nice.

Good base is hard to get from a bunch of midrange speakers which in essense is what Bose 901's really are, even if you can drive them altogether, it is not the same as pushing a low freq signal across a single large surface area that you find in a real bass speaker.

(OK Bose lovers you can start throwing the rocks, this is just my opinion Happy

Collapse -
I suggest that you return the Bo$e speakers to the store!

In reply to: Agree

There are some very good speakers out that sound very good, Bo$e are one of them! The are almost useless without the Bo$e equalizer. If your receiver does not have the right kind of tape loop configuration, you can't use the equalizer. John

Collapse -

In reply to: I suggest that you return the Bo$e speakers to the store!

Yeah the amp has the correct inputs and I have the Bose equalizer so i might need to try another eualizer.

Thanks for all your help guys and anymore info is appeciated

Collapse -
No equalizer

In reply to: I suggest that you return the Bo$e speakers to the store!

I have had my Bose 901's since 1973.
In the beginning I used the equalizer...but while moving I lost it.
Since then I have never used the equalizer.
I have tried other speakers...some costing much more...the Bose always win.
I don't think the equalizer is necessary.
Just my opinion...and I do play them loud!

Collapse -
You must live in an alternate universe

In reply to: No equalizer

Bose always win(???) Just.... wow.....

Collapse -
Good Sound

Bessie13,
I do hope you get satisfaction out of your situation! I've been a 901 owner since the early '80s and have been very satisfied with them.
I have even used them with a basic, cheap receiver which was waaay under powered, and they still had good bass. (now they're being powered with 200W/channel) As has already been stated, if they are connected properly, there is something wrong- most likely the equalizer- so don't give up! With your Onkyo you should be plenty happy! They should shake your silverware with their bass!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!