Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bored At Work!

by Miss Tish / November 4, 2004 10:35 PM PST

Anyone else around & bored????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bored At Work!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bored At Work!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Welcome to SE, Miss Tish
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 4, 2004 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Bored At Work!
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Welcome to SE, Miss Tish
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 12:20 AM PST

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Welcome to SE, Miss Tish
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 5, 2004 2:32 AM PST

Yup work can be boring at times. Temporary boredom is quite common. Have you thought of a short vacation perhaps a day or two even a little longer? That may help...

or may be if there are other challenging positions and of course much better pay -- have you looked into career change? Wink

Hey! but now that you are here....there are lots of interesting thread to choose from. Wink

Collapse -
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 2:41 AM PST

Ah vacation....I wish. I only have two left this year and they're reserved for Christmas!

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 5, 2004 3:19 AM PST

Wahhhhhhh speaking of Christmas, just around the corner. Plannings for families, friends, and co-workers --- gifts. uh uh on spendings eh!

hmmmmmm I don't know aboout you Tish, but I'm ready for chestnuts roasting on an open fire, marshmallows and some GREAT MOVIES....

Anyhow, back to work for me (not bored but sleepy hhahaha)

Nice chatting with you.... c'yah soon
tadahhhhh....

Collapse -
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 10:37 AM PST

I am so ready and so excited for Christmas!! I'm like a child during the holidays. All my decorations (including my tree) go up on December 1...unless it's like last year and December 1 fell on a Monday so everything went up November 30....can't wait!

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 5, 2004 1:28 PM PST

Well, there yah go, happy thoughts of Christmas. Happy Hmmmm All of sudden craving for some Hickory Farms Fruitcake --- acks! Nope! not pregnant LOL.

I noted that you are a legal assistant, what an interesting job. Research? Taking notes in litigations? or Shuffling and filing documents <--(this one is definitely boring IMO)?

Say, if you're still bored, you're welcome to MY INBOX anytime. Happy

12:12 am Canada, so I should be saying good morning or still good evening wherever you are...

Collapse -
Welcome, Tish
by MarciaB / November 4, 2004 11:07 PM PST

Nope, not bored "yet," it's still only a bit after 0700 here in Oregon. Just getting the day started.

Friday's are my 3rd "Monday" in my work week. There are usually surprises awaiting me, so I don't have time to be bored Happy

Hope your day picks up and brings you smiles Happy

Take care,
Marcia

Collapse -
Re: Welcome, Tish
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Welcome, Tish

Hey - thanks, it finally did pick up. I HATE being bored!

Collapse -
Re: Bored At Work!
by JP Bill / November 4, 2004 11:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Great idea, Dr. Bill!
by MarciaB / November 4, 2004 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Bored At Work!
Collapse -
Re: Great idea, Dr. Bill!
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Great idea, Dr. Bill!

hahahahah....too funny

Collapse -
that -is- fun
by netsky / November 5, 2004 12:38 AM PST

for the fish and the anglers of SE, from your cited sited:

Your bait of falsehood takes this carp of truth.

what a colorful time that was for cursing! As seeminly larded as S's invectives are, it amuses me to realize that he wrote for the -comprhension- of the general public.

Those English really understood a lot of English... and today, do we have any such rich a palette of expressive or emotive words and imagery in daily use; in daily comprehension?

maybe? or not?

I don't know! But those ancient, never-bathed, rotted teeth, vereral'd masses of old contained a good percentage of people whose best non-venusian delights came from a good roll in the Bard's and the corner greengrocers & etc's own aromatic words.

Collapse -
Re: that -is- fun
by MarciaB / November 5, 2004 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: that -is- fun

I'm REALLY, REALLY certain that your words were meant to say

"Hey, Marcia! That was a fun site! Thanks!"

YOU'RE WELCOME, REID.

Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: that -is- fun, and you are quite right again
by netsky / November 5, 2004 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: that -is- fun
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now I see why....
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 5, 2004 12:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Care to explain?
by MarciaB / November 5, 2004 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Now I see why....

Spit it out, CL.

Or would you not wish to sully a kind welcome to a new member here?

We will see Wink

Collapse -
Re: Care to chill?
by netsky / November 5, 2004 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Care to explain?

let us be nicer to each other today.

There is nothing in that nt of cl for even my paranoid mind to worry about. not this time.

chill?

solve my zimple 'one other' puzzle yet?

Collapse -
Re: Care to explain?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 5, 2004 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Care to explain?
You wrote to effect how to insult people in this thread.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=44139&messageID=520517

And I responded I see why...
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=44139&messageID=520737

And you are asking me to explain something you've written?

Maybe you should explain why you would teach a new Member how to insult people? In my opinion, that was not a positive idea ---even if it was a joke --- it certainly was not a healthy one.

And oh! I was the first one to welcome Miss. Tish. Wink
Collapse -
both have points and axes to grind
by netsky / November 5, 2004 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Care to explain?

May i, for once, stand BETWEEN you two ladies?

signed,

pitcher and catcher

who would love you both, more than Arafat any day.

Collapse -
this referee should probably chill
by netsky / November 5, 2004 2:54 AM PST

instead of acting as a neutral stop

- see CL happened first to welcom MT

- i read and delighed in Marcia's Ensult Encyclopedia of the Bard. I inferred nuttin' to it but good fun and brain exercise.

- Marcia and CL are super-sensitizing mutual 'allergens' to each other.

-hence a friend as soon as he realizes what's going on in their minds, he jumps in and if he jumped in time and for right reason....

... no further splashes.

Allergens and allergies.

I have been a bit of both kinds myself; and always too heavy on allegories (grin)

Collapse -
Re: Great idea, Dr. Bill!
by Cindi Haynes / November 5, 2004 1:33 AM PST

Hi Marcia,

I think we have two "Bills" on the forum, or maybe I'm confused! (Which would not be at all surprising.)

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oopsie! Well ... still a great idea anyway
by MarciaB / November 5, 2004 1:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Actually, that wasn't me ...
by Bill Osler / November 5, 2004 1:34 AM PST

There are some similar names here on the forum that belong to different people.

I don't know "Bill" but he is an occasional poster here on the forum.

I'll have to check out the links you and Bill included.

Collapse -
since you are here
by netsky / November 5, 2004 1:55 AM PST

this is an imposition, again, of me.

But, being a physician, and being that this thread is about anti-boredom, and learning- perhaps you can call to mind some special miracle in your medical recollection. Or some wonder of biology? Or a strange case that presented a form of "GOK" in the face of modern medical knowlege?

Anything like this possible to relate?

Anything to balance humanity more than the general preponderance of political stuff daily stuffed by all of us, me included.

refresh page, and thanks for considering.

Collapse -
imposition neutralized
by netsky / November 5, 2004 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: since you are here

sorry, that was insensitive of me...

in the meanwhile, or for forever instead, allow me to plant another anecdote from the mind of the late Elizabeth Grothe (1996-1999)

--The Miller's Daughter--

Elizabeth was a middle sibling of several other brothers and sisters.

Her father operated a small grain milling operation. Stone grinding wheat.

The family eats meat. Preserved meats; sausages, hams for staple. Meat is plentiful. Meat puts bloom into Aryan cheeks.

Elizabeth is singular. She prefers vegetable matter over meat. From toddler age she is fascinated by the small plot of the family garden. By age four she is an active gardener.

Pappa said to her one day in about the year 1901, using Elizabeth's own accented dialect to relate to the readers here:

"Ach, mine little Elizabeth! Why you don't eat meats like your brudders and sisters? YOU vil neffer grow up big and strong like dem this vay with green things"

Elizabeth speaks this to me at age 100: "You know, i haf outliffed dem all."

And your father and mother, Elizabeth- how was their health?

"Mother liffed long enough. Pappa, he died when i vas still very young. Coughed to death. Silicosis from the dust. That terrible dust from the grinding stones. He was dead by the year 1910".

This story was related to me live in the year 1996.

May we all will to live to one hundred and three.

Me and thee and thou all.

I hope peanut butter and skim milk help me along- for this is my staple diet favorite since childhood. I don't go much for the greens, alas!

Collapse -
Re: Bored At Work!
by Miss Tish / November 5, 2004 12:22 AM PST

Thanks Bill :o)

Collapse -
one new
by netsky / November 5, 2004 1:16 AM PST

having clicked and stumped (?) myself on

http://www.amusingfacts.com/cgi-bin/surf/surf_pass.cgi?template=brain.html&cfile=brain47.html

One new: a real-life deduction made yesterday whilst waiting, bored, in the animal clinic reception room for my pets' checkup to finish.

==Harried mom enters with boy in tow. He slouches bored on a bench. He hates being bored!

Mom goes to the counter, is paying the tab for CHUTNEY. She signs the receipt.

"Is Chutney ready to go home?"

To the boy (but really to amuse bemused Mom paying hundreds of $$ out) i inject a tiny Sherlock act into the scene:

"Young man, I am a student of that great detective, Sherlock Holmes. It is postively true that you have come to fetch a pet named Chutney. Chuteny is large, rambunctious, female dog. Are you curious about how i know this as a positive fact?"

The boy only stared back at this strange stranger, as expected.

Mom, however spun around in shock "How did you know that?"

Momentary surprise, until she looked at her boy and at the floor.

"OH, i see!!!" she laughed.

There they were: three perfect clews (sic) for this sherlock. Evidence pointing the pet's size, sex and demeanor. Three clues they were.

What were they? (here then is a 'reverse' deduction for you, the readers. Your job is harder than mine, to work backwards from the -deduction itself-, to determine what are the three clues. Therefore there is no 'wrong' answer so far as i am concerned.

I shall give the true clues later if any of you will essay to solve this puzzle from this 'backwards' position... much like poor flippy of brain tease #47 link at top.

Collapse -
zolution! (nose fair peking undt ill after zoo dry)
by netsky / November 5, 2004 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: one new

-Choke chain collar in idle hands of bored boy

-Big, wide-web nylon leash carelessly dropped on floor

-Color of leash: Hot pink

Collapse -
Fun !!!
by Ziks511 / November 6, 2004 4:17 PM PST

But I hadn't a clew.

Rob Boyter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.