Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Bootup Failures

by EZisthebest / September 16, 2005 11:25 PM PDT

The first time I boot up, my notebook (compaq presario 2500) freezes, and I have to restart at the blue scrolly thing screen. The second time I boot up, the Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Last Good Settings, and Normal Start screen shows up. I choose Normal Start and the computer boots up super slow (I remember way faster times). I run Spybot, Adaware, Norton, Housecall, and some others, but none of them have found anything serious.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bootup Failures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bootup Failures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2005 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Bootup Failures

If in warranty, let them fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
oh nnoesss
by EZisthebest / September 18, 2005 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the warranty.

iits out of warranty, ive had it for years.

Collapse -
You have done the appropiate things
by retired / September 18, 2005 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: oh nnoesss

by running anti-virus,and spyware detection, look at the sys tray down by the clock and post what is running at startup. You said the computer is a few years old, you may need to save the data you want and do a restore with the recovery CD's that came with the laptop, but first we can chack some other areas.

Collapse -
Need a little more clue...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: oh nnoesss

While you did list a blue clue, it wasn't enough to head out in any particular direction.

If this was my machine, I'd keep my backups current before running the demo 16 day trial of EWIDO (google.com) to see if a pest is playing on the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
alright...
by EZisthebest / September 18, 2005 10:23 AM PDT

I lost all cds included with my laptop, including the original Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD.

Collapse -
Ok
by retired / September 18, 2005 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: alright...

There goes that idea, after you try the good advice from Bob, post about what is running in the sys tray.

Collapse -
Since You're Without Disks, Can You Try a....
by tobeach / September 18, 2005 3:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Bootup Failures

equivalent to Check Disk by doing Error repair of System Files? Right click on OS drive (C:?) and click properties & under tools tab click error check now and tick both boxes that appear. May need to restart and could take 30-60 mins.
Normally works pretty well but if there's custom software from maker may not be perfect. If Sp2 was installed then you can use the SP2 Disk/or file location instead of originals.
I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion maybe a hardware problem is contributing some how.
Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
hard drive problem me thinks too
by EZisthebest / September 19, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

Whenever I boot up- I can hear something spinning really loudly inside the notebook. A few months past there was barely any sound when the comptuer booted up.

Collapse -
Yeowch!! Backup off machine All of value ......
by tobeach / September 19, 2005 3:57 PM PDT

if you can. A 256mb USB drive can be had cheap for this purpose. noise could be HD or maybe CDrom/RW??
Luckily prices for hardware have dropped alot although service charges for install are up by as much. Un- fortunately HD is probably Compaq specific and no bargain but still cheaper than new laptop. Good luck ! Happy

Collapse -
Continuation In Failures
by EZisthebest / September 24, 2005 8:17 AM PDT

Okay, now the problem has worsened. One day when I booted up my computer, after the screen with the scrolly thing saying Windows XP Home Edition, a small blue screen appeared for about 1 second saying someting and then suddenely restarting the computer. I used my other Compaq computer's Service Pack 1 CD to get to the Recovery Console and used ChkDsk. It found 1 or more unrecoverable problems. I restarted the computer and when it turned on I was prompted to choose an OS for it. The choices were:
2.Windows XP
1.Windows XP
I had to choose the second one though the first one was highlighted, as when I chose the first, the computer reset right before the scrolly Windows XP screen. After I chose the right choice, the 2., the computer went on to the Problem Screen where you can choose Safe Modes, Normal Mode, and Last Good Settings startups. All the modes worked and the computer would go right to the Welcome Screen. The computer is still really slow though.

Collapse -
There's the big clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

"used ChkDsk. It found 1 or more unrecoverable problems."

That means the drive is corrupted or is failing. Find the make/model of the drive, head to that maker's web site and look for a hard disk test program.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!