Question

Boots Then Shuts Down

I built this computer about 10 years ago. I used quality products. Asus MB, WD HDD, lets put it this way. I did my best to use the best. I have replaced the processor and video card. Still when I start up I can get it to the BIOS for maybe 4 or 5 seconds then it shuts down. I have even reformat the HHD. And when I do that I use KILLDISK, I Wipe the HDD clean. So I reinstalled Windows XP PRO.
It then started normal and did the same thing, shut down. I have been working with computers like I said. Don't get it, anyone have an Idea?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Boots Then Shuts Down
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Boots Then Shuts Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
BAD CAPS

I'd look at that given the age of the system. GOOGLE bad caps to see if you have one or more on your motherboard. Your PSU has them also, can cause a power drop-out under load. PSU's are known to deteriorate in power output rating over time as well. So, a unit rated at 400 watts continuous ten years later can only provide 200.

- Collapse -
Answer
Dropping out

The most common thing would be the PSU dropping out after trying to load the system, that is where I would start.

- Collapse -
Answer
In addition to the ...

potential bad caps issue it might be as simple as HEAT.

I am not understanding about your ability to make use of KillDisk to wipe the drive AND the ability to install XP if the computer is shutting down so soon because even writing an image to a drive takes more than a few minutes.

When is the last time you FULLY cleaned the computer to include replacing the thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink? Thermal paste does dry out and break up and leave gaps that retain heat.

- Collapse -
Answer
Boots and shuts down

I know for a fact that bad capacitors cause this problem ..and motherboards of this age apx 10 years ago are especially prone to this problem as a large batch of defective caps were manufactured during this time and ended up in several electronic products...look for puffed up tops on them this is a sign they overheated and expanded due to a breakdown of the dielectric this was a very common problem and your described symptoms match completely the symptoms that would occur as they failed

- Collapse -
also the power supply

swap this out first with a new one bad caps affect these as well

- Collapse -
Answer
Back to basics

I disagree with the people telling you to replace the motherboard. It is possible to cause this problem, but it is a bad assumption to make. That sort of an issue also usually comes on gradually, not all of a sudden. The first thing to do is to remove all unnecessary devices - cards hard drives and optical drives. What happens then?

CNET Forums