Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Booting Windows XP

Hi peepz,

I need your help very very much...Anyways, the problem started because I restore an image of another computer of a different configure in the hard disk. Because of that, I cannot even start Windows XP OS and require to boot it. I used a CD to boot and enter Recovery Center(not sure what the exact name is but it is the blue screen). I wanted to create a partition and when i tried to proceed, the screen said that the disk does not contain a Windows XP compatible partition and asked me to create a Windows XP partition on the disk. The problem is I do not how to do so. I tried to delete the partition but it failed. Basically, I cannot even delete and create the partition, therefore could not continue the installation or boot. Can someone advise me what to do from here?

Thanks.

Farah K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Booting Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Booting Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think we need to know more.

In reply to: Booting Windows XP

Hi Farah,

Can you tell us more about what led up to this? Why were you trying to load a backup off another computer onto your computer's hard drive?

How did you do that?

Was your Windows XP on your computer working well before you tried this?

Mark

Collapse -
Booting Windows XP

In reply to: I think we need to know more.

Hi Mark,

My colleague and I were trying to do a little experiment but unfortunately for us, it went all wrong. What we did was copy the image of computer1 hard disk and tried to restore it onto computer2 using acronis true image.

both computers were running on windows xp but unfortunately, it is of different hardware configuration. we only realised that when we were in the middle of restoring the image of computer1 onto computer2. the next thing we knew was that, we cannot even open the OS of computer2. we tried to repair computer2 using the recovery console from XP boot CD but dead end. it kept saying that C: drive is not an invalid specified path and that the hard disk does not contain a Windows XP compatable partition.

i tried to read it as a secondary storage in another computer and it was detectable. i formatted it and partition it into two parts. i put it back into computer2 but it is still back to square 1.

so can you advise me on what to do next, because i am getting a bit frustrated over this matter.

from
farah k.

Collapse -
It looks like a re-format.

Hi Farah,

It looks to me like you need the original XP CD for the computer2, and do a complete wipe and re-install of the OS onto cmputer2. That XP CD should do that. See this web site for more guidance;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
no luck for me...

In reply to: It looks like a re-format.

Mark,

thanks and i referred to your link. unfortunately, i cannot go beyond step 10 because it said that i do not have a windows xp compatable partition. do you know what might have caused this?

farah k.

Collapse -
In that case,

In reply to: no luck for me...

Hi Farah,

In that case I think your options are limited to using Dban, as Bob Proffitt suggests in the post below this. Wipe the disk clean, then start again.

I don't think there's anything else that can be done now.

Mark

Collapse -
When I see this, I use DBAN

Found with google.com it wipes the drive clean.

bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.