HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Booting problems... Windows Intaller: 'CSC-Download.com.msi'

by john.zollinger / February 14, 2008 3:59 AM PST

Basic info:
Operating System: MS Windows xp professional
Model number:7100 Series Notebook from Averatec

The notebook is 4 years old. (Really old, I know) I have had little problems on and off, so I turned to Download.com to fix them.

My wife had a problem with her computer (I live in another state because of business) and so I began downloading many free highly rated, and some not to highly rated, programs through download.com, to try them out and offer some solutions for her long distance. Well, whenever I reboot my computer, I get this problem. A small window will pop up, then this is the pattern that follows...:

1. "Windows Installer" (WI) small windows appears and shows that it is trying to do something.

2. The WI now displays some written information: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. (I am not on a network. Just a small business laptop.) Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'CSC-Download.com.msi' in the box below. (Then there is a box with C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNZO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ (the rest is hidden. Then there is a "Browse..." button)

I have completed a search on 'CSC-Download.com.msi', and found this link: http://www.tutorials-win.com/WindowsXP/cscdownloadcommsi/ It addresses my concern, but the "conclusion" is to reload windows. I don't have the software discs anymore. I do have a "genuine" label on my software by Microsoft, and they update me periodically, so can I just get their site to search my computer and correct the errors?

What options do I have besides reinstalling Windows?

Any help is welcomed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Booting problems... Windows Intaller: 'CSC-Download.com.msi'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Booting problems... Windows Intaller: 'CSC-Download.com.msi'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 7:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Using it now!!!
by john.zollinger / February 17, 2008 12:45 PM PST

I've run it once. I've seen nothing to help what I am having problems with, but I'll park on this program until I understand it better.

I have taken care of a minor problem, though, with this program. I had an old problem and I have just ignored it until now. Progress!

I'll give you feedback if I actually find a way to use this program to target my issue.

Thanks for the help : )

Collapse -
Working!!!
by john.zollinger / February 17, 2008 2:31 PM PST

Thank you for your help.

I promised to report if I believed it solved the problem, and I do believe it has.

What I saw when I ran the program, wasn't the "SCS....." listing the Windows Installer was giving me. What I did see was Sunbelt CounterSpy...... and that turned out to be the "SCS...." program I was having problems with.

Now, in the "Add or delete programs" folder from the Control Panel, the Sunbelt program, which was there, but it didn't allow me to delete it, is now gone.

Problem solved.

I don't believe that it had anything to do with Sunbelt or Download.com, I just had a recent BAD infection that a google search said I needed Windows XP downloaded again on my computer, which option I thought I didn't have.

Another good deed for the day. Happy

Thanks,

John

Collapse -
csc-download.com.msi
by n9mkf / June 3, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

I've run into this more than once. It's SUNBELT COUNTERSPY that's doing it.
What worked for me is to uninstall, if that doesn't work, download counterspy again off the internet and as you reinstall I keep hitting the cancel on the small files that originally popped up. It took patience but finally worked.
good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.