General discussion

Booting A blank HDD w/o boot cd

I recently received a dell notebook LatitudeD600. It was locked so i purchased a new hard drive. I now know i dont need to, but that's beside the point.
I need to get it working but it doesnt have any bootable devices available. Then i found some old boot cd, but it wants windows 98. I went down that route and it's a no-go.
I dont have the windows XP cd on hand , but i do have the Windows 2000, which i figured could be a start.
I've formated the drive over and over, created the partitions, but since the boot cd is old, it wont install anything other thean windows 98. And when i did put windows 98, it wont recognize the DVD/cd rom.
Can somebody please help me....?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Booting A blank HDD w/o boot cd
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Booting A blank HDD w/o boot cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It appears you do not have a "real" CD?

The Windows 2000 CDs published by Microsoft are bootable and do not offer any Windows 98 install.

As it stands it appears you need some proper media.

Bob

- Collapse -
actually...

the old dell utility cd is the one offering the windows98
the windows 2000 cd i have is fine, it spins, but the computer just doesnt want to accept it ( i think it's because of the old dell boot disk-since the partition-format must be getting done at fat32 instead of NTFS)
i was just hoping there was a way i could get everything working without having to buy and wait for a boot CD to arrive

- Collapse -
None of the above is required. However...

The fact the 2000 CD doesn't boot means you are setting yourself up for some PAINFUL system recover procedures. To force the install on a machine that can't boot the 2000 CD, you simply...

1. Partition, format the hard disk with your choice of DOS. I will not tell exactly how!!! You are an expert and will know this.

2. Install the DOS CDROM mode drivers and finally...

3. Copy the i386 directory to the hard disk of the same name directory.

4. Run WINNT.EXE

You'll find numerous examples of this install method so I won't duplicate web content such at http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic14204.html

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info