General discussion

Boot Virus Detected?

My brother gave me his old computer running Win98se. I was going to network it to my system running XP Pro with sp2 installed. The trouble is that the hard drive in his old computer won't boot into windows. After it starts to boot a window pops up stating that there was a boot virus detected and then it refuse to go any further. An ideas on how to get rid of the boot virus without losing all the data on the hard drive? Can I some how create a bootable floppy that will get rid of the virus and save me the trouble of having to reformat the hard drive?
Sincerely,
skooterfd

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Boot Virus Detected?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Boot Virus Detected?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Boot Virus--Maybe Not

It sounds like you might have boot sector virus protection enabled in the BIOS. This is something that should always be disabled as it will interfere with Windows. It will probably not be named exactly as above but almost certainly will be in your setup options and will include the word "virus".

Depending on your machine, getting into BIOS setup may or may not be simple. With an AMI, Award, or Phoenix, press Delete as soon as the RAM test finishes. With others, you might have to search for the key or key combination. This site has some others listed: http://www.mustek.com/Support/techdocs/bios.html

- Collapse -
Re: boot virus detected?

Tell more on the message:
- Exactly when does it come?
- What exactly is the text?
- Do you have any indication where it comes from (BIOS, Norton, AVG bootup scanner, to name a few)?

Also note that reformat won't change the boot sector. So if it really is a boot sector virus, reformatting won't help.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info