Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

boot-up situation

by ima / August 4, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

Here is my issue--I hope someone knows the answer.

I run winXP home, 1.7 ghtz, 60gb hd, 256ram.

This is what happens every time I boot up:

First box that appears, in the top border it reads:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

Then in the box it is written:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ?Close? to terminate the application.

Then two buttons below; ?Close? and ?Ignore?.

-------------

Then after a few minutes another box appears, in the top border:

BWPRNMON

In the box it reads:

MONITOR: Can?t find agent ?Bitware NT Agent? class ?WCN tAgent?

-------------

I did have old writing software installed. It started to malfunction so I uninstalled it. I think that was when this started to occur. Computer works fine, but I can?t run regedit and things like that.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks,
c

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot-up situation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot-up situation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things like that...
by FallenHoney / August 4, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: boot-up situation

When you say you "can't run regedit and things like that", do you mean things like msconfig, cmd, etc.?

IF so then it sounds like something has borked your system files. First, if you're not running SP2 then go to Windows Update and install all available updates, this may fix the problem. If not then you may want to try running a repair installation of XP.

Boot from your Windows XP disc, at the first option hit "Enter" to install WIndows XP (not the "R" option), then hit "F8" to accept liscense agreement, then choose the repair option and follow the onscreen prompts during the install phase.

When it comes back up, try running regedit, msconfig, etc. If they work then go ahead and run Windows update until you're fully updated again.

Collapse -
Before tryimg the repair install,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 4, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: boot-up situation

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!