Mac Desktops forum

Resolved Question

boot up issues 27"iMac

by Hitsquad53 / May 19, 2012 2:52 PM PDT

my iMac 27'' boots to the desktop sometimes then other times it goes to the user accounts and I have to restart and then it boots to the desktop as normally does. This started after I went on vacation for 2 weeks and ever since it has this boot up problem from time to time.My osx is lion and I've run onyx and gone to utilities to check the disk permissions.Any suggestions?

Hitsquad53 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot up issues 27"iMac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot up issues 27"iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Hitsquad53

Collapse -
Problem #1
by Jimmy Greystone / May 19, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: boot up issues 27"iMac

Problem #1 is running programs like Onyx or Cocktail. Those are meant for people who understand what they do, and what the risks of running them are. They are not some kind of shotgun panacea as so many people seem to insist in making them out to be. Programs like that can cause problems like this, and part of the problem is that if you don't really know what it is programs like Onyx do, you can spend a long time chasing down a bunch of blind alleys. I can tell you are highly unlikely to know what Onyx does because you also seem to think that repairing disk permissions is a magic cure. It, like Onyx, is just one of those things that the clueless idiots of the world have latched onto in an effort to try and feign understanding, rather than admit they're a clueless idiot. So at least you're in good company, as plenty of other people have fallen for that one. While I'm on this kick, if someone tells you to reset the PRAM to solve this issue, they're one of the clueless idiots trying to feign understanding I was talking about. Also, never, Never, NEVER listen to ANYONE who tells you to run some kind of program to control the fan speeds. Programs like smcFanControl. In fact, if you ever see anything about the SMC mentioned in a program, DO NOT RUN IT. You start messing with those settings and you can do physical damage to your computer.

Just for starters, try going into the user accounts part of system preferences, and change the way the system logs in from automatic to having to select a user and enter in a password, etc. Reboot, log in, then go back and change that setting again back to the automatic login. See how that works first, though after running a program like Onyx there's no real way of telling if you've done some permanent damage to the OS that will require a reinstall to fix.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Hitsquad53 / May 20, 2012 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem #1

Thank you for your input and yes I am a new Mac user and I only tried the disk permissions and ran Onyx after the problem had persisted for some time .And through another Mac forum is where I read about Onyx and going to the disk utilities.I will try resetting the way I log in asap.Once again thanks for the heads up.

Collapse -
Thanks Mr Greystone
by Hitsquad53 / May 25, 2012 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem #1

So far it's loading just fine no problems at all.....everything else is working just fine.Once again thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.