Desktops forum

General discussion

boot sequence

Can anyone tell me how to keep my computer from accessing my floppy drive during bootup.It accesses it during bootup and even a few seconds after the desktop icons appear.I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to: hard drive-cd-rom-disable and floppy still gets accessed maybe three times total.Would it be ok to disable this device if I very rarely use it?I have WinXP by the way.Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot sequence
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot sequence
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: boot sequence

In reply to: boot sequence

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: boot sequence

I forgot to mention that I have WinXP.The link for the Google.com page, refers to Win 95 & 98.I don't have a place to uncheck the floppy drive access on bootup.Thanks

Collapse -

The common item still remainds. You didn't tell if you cleared the list.

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks, I went in and checked the options for my Norton Antivirus.I stopped it from doing a scan of my floppy drive after windows starts.Problem solved.Thanks again.

Collapse -

I think I am having the same problem as you do but where or how did you manage to stop Norton AntiVirus from doing a scan of my floppy drive after windows starts? I am running Norton SystemWorks 2004 Version: 7.00 Many thanks in advance.

Collapse -

Although I'm using Windows 98 SE, this should also work with your XP edition...

Click 'Start', 'Settings', 'Control panel', and next click your 'System' icon, 'Performance', 'File system', and 'REMOVE' checkmark from 'Search for floppy each time your computer starts'.

This works fine for Windows 98SE, and is easily reversable if this change doesn't work for you...

Best Wishes from Sam...

Collapse -

I can not find such option in XP. Pls advise/help me further.

Collapse -

Sounds like you don't have your setup sequence set correctly to me. When your computer boots up depress the delete button or the F1/F2 whichever gets you into the motherboard setup. Then look for the sequence and check if it reads a: then c: if it does then see if you can change it to c: then a:. Most computers are factory set to a: then c:. Another solution is to remove the floppy drive altogether from your machine. It can's access it if it is not there.

Collapse -

right click my computer from ur desktop. select properties, select hardware tab, click device manager button. Expand your floppy drive and do a right click and select disable. Enable it when you want to use it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.