HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Boot problem please help

by lostvicking / October 29, 2004 5:15 AM PDT

Please help me i am computer literate but in this case utterly helpless!
The problem is that the monitor blacks out in the boot sequence
1. booting normally with win xp after the first 2 screens - the one with memory count and IDE detection and the one after that with "verifiyng DMI pool data" and "boot from cd" - the monitor goes black , cntrl + alt + del doesn't work gotta reset manually
2. if running safe mode (win xp) - the first say 7 path names show on screen as safe mode loads and the computer hangs again warm boot doesn't help
3. booting off the linux mandrake 10 dvd after i press enter when it says install/upgrade the monitor goes black and same as above

I've tested my graphics card on another pc and its fine, so is my HDD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot problem please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot problem please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Boot problem please help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 8:42 AM PDT

Does DOS boot successfully?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Boot problem please help
by lostvicking / October 29, 2004 7:02 PM PDT

Funnyly enough yeah, I used a win 98 start up disk and that was fine, then when I entered win 98 setup it bombed out

Collapse -
Information problem please help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 2:43 AM PDT

At this point it "sounds" like the video card is selecting a video mode your CRT/Display can't handle.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/switch.htm might or might not help in that you can try various setup switches, but the lack of detail about video card and display is not helping here.

In closing, USB devices must be unplugged as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Information problem please help
by lostvicking / October 30, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the link
With regards to the graphics card I got a Radeon 7000 (ATI) but I'm not sure thats the problem cos I tried a Savage4 on the same machine with the same results, the monitor I got is a Magic View 17'' CRT monitor

Collapse -
Model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 8:24 AM PDT
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Magic+View+17%27%27+CRT+monitor&btnG=Google+Search does not find out what monitor you have.

Here's the deal. That monitor may not be able to display at the default mode that the ATI decides to go to when the OS is being installed. There is another discussion in these forums where I suggested they put the better monitor on during install, then set the video mode to be compatible and then swap the monitor. That worked for them.

Best of luck,

Bob
Collapse -
Re: Model?
by lostvicking / October 30, 2004 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Model?

Thanks allot for all your help I really appreciate it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.