General discussion

Boot Problem

Hi. I have a problem with my computer not working.

Intel Core i7 920
EVGA X58 SLI LE
OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

One day I tried turning it on, and it would not boot past the BIOS. It would just get to the screen which lets you choose "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows Normally". I have tried installing Ubuntu, but the screen also just stays black. Whichever I click it just restarts or the screen stays black. I have tried resetting the CMOS, and re-inserting the processor. There are light on on the mobo. I have tested the memory using the program off the ubuntu boot disk. Before the problem started I noticed that every time the computer started the computer had a single, short beep and the screen said "frequency set for DDR3 1066" - does that mean I have a defective stick of RAM? Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Boot Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Boot Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: boot problem

If you can fully RUN all things from a Linux live CD it's not likely to be the RAM or anything else on the motherboard. You don't tell that (all you say is you can't INSTALL it on a new partition on your hard disk).
But that beep and that message is disquieting. It must be a fairly new machine. Do you still have warranty?

Kees

- Collapse -
link

CNET Forums

Forum Info