Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Boot-Not Complete

by phantazy / December 8, 2004 8:04 PM PST

I boot into XP and the screen with blue serrated dots passes from left to right ok, and then a blue framed dialogue box headed Isiss.exe says 'an invalid paramater was passed to a function or service'. There is an OK button and when pressed I get 'Windows is starting up' quite normal for 1 minute then an automatic re-boot occurs. I have tried restore backup system state, but same problem. Any body can help? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot-Not Complete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot-Not Complete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Boot-Not Complete
by Cetin Denislam / December 9, 2004 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Boot-Not Complete

Probable you saw a message regarding LSASS. It's a core file for security and there are causes for failing during startup (corrupted DLLs, incorrect permissions, failed system patches, etc.).

Can you boot in Safe Mode? If so, try System Restore.

If you can't go there, do you have the windows XP CD ? What was the installed Service Pack number ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by phantazy / December 9, 2004 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Boot-Not Complete

Thanks Cetin, yes I have the CD but do not want to try a repair because the last time I tried that the set up said it couldn't load 'Driver cab.' probably because the Nvidia chipset drivers were stopping it.
Safe mode returns the same dialog box.
I have a parallel disk with XP which I am using, do you think I could export the LSASS file, or indeed the HK Current User? I am reticent about sending lumps of the registry accross in case there is a conflict and I lose the data.

Collapse -
by phantazy / December 9, 2004 3:45 AM PST

Oh, I forgot to add I have Sp2. on XP Pro on two hard disks.

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / December 9, 2004 4:47 AM PST

Paul, with the parallel instalation you can repair all the registry hives by using a restore point from the damaged windows installation.

Read the following MSKB article:

Q307545 ??How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting?

In your case, it?s easier because you can do it when you boot from the good XP and make the changes to bad XP from windows explorer.

Take the article as a skeleton because you don?t need to boot to recovery console. In essence, the new procedure should be:

1. Begin with ?Part Two? and check out the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RPxx\Snapshot (on damaged XP).

Note

xx are numbers. You can see the files dates in order to have a clue regarding the newest restore points.

After you?ll find a convenient restore point, complete part Two.

2. From the ?Part One?, just delete the files: system, software,config,sam,security,default (not from a command prompt, but from windows Explorer). The files are under the

c:\windows\system32\config

path of the damaged XP.

3. Part three?s equivalent it?s to copy the files from the tmp folder to

c:\windows\system32\config folder.

Let?s recap:

You find a convenient restore point from the damaged XP and prepare the registry hives to a tmp folder. Delete the registry hives from the bad XP and copy the prepared hives (extracted from the restore points of the damaged XP) to the corresponding path.

Restart PC and let it boot from the damaged XP instance and if you?re lucky, it can boot. Regarding the data files from the damaged hard drive, the above procedure should left them intact because you replaced only the registry hives. However, for your piece of mind, you can copy the data files to the second HDD first.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by phantazy / December 9, 2004 5:26 AM PST

Thank you very much Cetin. I tried to replace the lsass.exe files from the good disk, while you were posting, but to no avail. I really apppreciate your time and effort in helping me with this. I want to try it very slowly and carefully tomorrow (it's 21.24 where I am) and will let you know how I get on. My determination is paramount! And I don't want to fail through fatigue.

Collapse -
Yes, carefully study it and ?
by Cetin Denislam / December 9, 2004 8:31 PM PST

? take it in baby steps. Once again, the previous procedure needs some restore points from the damaged XP. If you don't have them, the procedure won't work because it doesn't have the "stuff".

Yes, I see that you're in TFT + 8 Time Zone.

TFT (This Forum Time) it's PDT (Pacific Daylight Time). It does make sense for US guys, while for the rest of us the standard time it's GMT.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Yes, carefully study it and ?
by phantazy / December 10, 2004 1:47 AM PST

Thanks, Cetin, the trouble is I'm up to RP 107! Funnily enough, not all have 'snapshot' as a file/folder (I wonder why? Who decides on when snapshot is necessary?), I think I'd better sift through to find one recent enough with 'snapshot'. Chugging on . . .

Collapse -
Re: Yes, carefully study it and ?
by Cetin Denislam / December 10, 2004 3:01 AM PST

The idea Paul is to pick one snapshot that has the 5 files:

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

As to why some snapshots don't have them, either Bill won't know. But he could ask his staff and don't expect to disclose this in public Wink

Good Luck,

Cetin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.