Linux forum

General discussion

Boot Linux from Live CD doesn't work.

by SXR / June 22, 2007 7:36 PM PDT

Hello guys,

I watch CNET everyday and I was really happy that Tom Merrit did a insider secret on how to run Linux Ubuntu from a live CD. Unfortuatly, It doesnt seem to work for me. I've burned Linux to a CD-ROM just like in the insider secret. And I've also set my PC to boot from CD in the BIOS. But It still doesnt work. I downloaded Ubuntu as an iso ( ubuntu.com ) and burned it to a CD. Please help me on how to boot Linux Ubuntu from a Live CD.

Thank you,
SXR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Linux from Live CD doesn't work.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Linux from Live CD doesn't work.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check that CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2007 11:30 PM PDT

If you put it into the CD drive and windows is running what do you see in that disk's directory?

Bob

Collapse -
Im seeing
by SXR / June 22, 2007 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's check that CD.

Im just seeing the ISO file of Ubuntu that I burned on it.

Collapse -
You found the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Im seeing

You should never seen a .iso in the CDR. That means you burned the file to the CDR. You needed to burn the IMAGE to the CDR. These are slightly different concepts and procedures.

Let me share another URL on how to make a CDR from a .ISO

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Bob

Collapse -
tHANKS
by SXR / June 23, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: You found the problem.

Thank you , but the ISO recorder says : Unsupported source Drive type.
Do I need to get another CD?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: tHANKS

Details are too slim for me to see why that happened. All I can tell if you put the .iso FILE on the CDR and not the image from the .iso to the CDR.

I know this sounds confusing but read the link I provided and try another method.

CDBURNERXP has a WRITE ISO feature that may be something to try.

Bob

Collapse -
My mistake
by SXR / June 23, 2007 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Sorry . My mistake. I got it too work! It now boots from CD really nice. A bit slow , but I dont have that much drive speed. Thanks for all your help bob. Also, where does Linux store its files? Like when I save something and that stuff.

SXR

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: My mistake

Did you ask where Linux stores it's files or where an application your ran such as a word processor saves when you click Save?

Linux has files all over a "file system." I have to decline duplication of ready web content about Linux directory layouts not only because it's a duplication of effort but I think it's not what you really asked.

As to the word processor, it saves to where you told it to.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by SXR / June 23, 2007 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Hmmm,

Can I easily install Linux Ubuntu on the SAME harddrive where Windows XP runs on? Something like , a Dual Boot system. That lets me choose what OS to boot on startup.

SXR

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

But I must decline telling how since that is readily available on the web. Try UBUNTU INSTALL DUAL BOOT at google.com

Be sure you read how to uninstall before you install. Many rush and install it then want to get rid of it later only to start asking how. At least those questions are widely answered.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?