Computer Help forum

General discussion

Boot Issues

by johnjacob356 / November 5, 2007 12:09 AM PST

So heres the deal. About two weeks ago my dell desktop started acting up and would start shutting down and trying to reboot. It would repeatedly start to turn on and a few sec. later would just die. So I bought a new PS and even a battery for the CMOS, and neither seemed to fix the problem.
So a few days ago I decided to look at the underside of the motherboard and clean out whatever dust I could inside the CPU. Turned it on after plugging in each piece of hardware at a time and the computer turned on just it was running a bit slow, but I was happy to have it working again.
Well last night I put my computer in hybernate mode so it was turned off and such. This morning I woke up to the comp. turning on and off again. I don't know what the problem is and need any help you can provide.

Specs:
Dell Dimension 5100 (Bought it august 2005)
RAM: 512mb, I added an extra 1gb about a month ago
HD: 80gb, added extra 500gb a little over a month ago.
PS: 500watt, a few weekds old and definitly has enough power for the computer.
Processor: Pentium 4,
Drives: CD/RW and DVD-RW

If you need more specs, let me know. Also I am running it off a power strip so I don't believe its to the outlet.

Any help would be great. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power supply specs
by mjd420nova / November 5, 2007 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: Boot Issues

Even though the power supply says it's 500 watt, that may be a peak power rating and would not be enough under your circumstances. You didn't say what video card you're using as that could certainly put it over the mark for 500 watts being enough. When an upper level card with 256MB memory is used and requires an extra cable from the power supply to the card, 600 watt average power is a requirement. Throw in the memory you have and two hard drives, you're going to need all that and more wouldn't hurt.

Collapse -
would not be enough under your circumstances ??
by VAPCMD / November 5, 2007 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Power supply specs

Specs:
Dell Dimension 5100 (Bought it august 2005)
RAM: 512mb, I added an extra 1gb about a month ago
HD: 80gb, added extra 500gb a little over a month ago.
PS: 500watt, a few weekds old and definitly has enough power for the computer.
Processor: Pentium 4,
Drives: CD/RW and DVD-RW

Tell us how you determined that ???

VAPCMD

Collapse -
would not be enough under your circumstances ??
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 12:20 AM PST

What do you mean how did I determine that? What are you refering to.

Collapse -
Note the reply was to mjd420nova
by VAPCMD / November 7, 2007 7:55 AM PST

He indicated that your 500 W PSU 'would not be enough under your circumstances ??'

My question to him...'Tell us how you determined that ???

Unless you've got a lot more sutff installed than you listed ...a decent 500 watt PSU should be overkill.

Collapse -
reply to mjd420nova
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 8:35 AM PST

Ok I thought you were replying to me. Yeah it does seem that the power supply would be enough. All I have added were the HD and the memory stick. originally I had 380watts.

I've actually found a site that would give you a general note of how much power your computer takes and my 380 watt ps was too little by maybe 15 watts. Now granite I don't know how legit that site is but still.

Collapse -
Power supply specs
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 12:18 AM PST

The video card is a geforce, I believe. I am not quite sure what the model number is, but its a 128mb card. I know that part.

I had a 380 or 360 watt ps, before and this is when the boot and rebooting of the computer first started. Thats when I bought the 500 watt, but it was a while til I was able to get the computer up and running.

What's wierd though is how the computerwhat turned off(I hybernated it) and in the middle of the night it randomnly tried turning itself on. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Power supply specs
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 12:23 AM PST

Also If I were to just run the 500gb HD which doesn't really have anything on it yet, and take out the original 80gb, would that be enough to run the 500watt ps? Thanks

Collapse -
Even in August 2005, the BAD CAP issue was still found.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
In addition to the bad caps mentioned by Bob ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 7, 2007 12:39 AM PST

There is a possibility that the CPU fan or the video card fan is not functioning properly or their heat sinks are fouled.

Since the computer is over two years old, another thing to look at is whether there is any thermal paste or tape between processor and it's heat sink. Thermal tape has been known to insulate rather than transfer as it gets old. Test this heat issue by taking the case off and directing a floor fan into the case for cooling.

Collapse -
Thermal paste
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 1:40 AM PST

There is definitely a paste like substance between the heat sink and processor. It looks like it has kind of melted or atleast has a look of being used, if there is actually a way to tell, I don't know.
Is there a way of replacing that and how would I go about doing that?

Thanks

Collapse -
Refreshing the thermal paste is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thermal paste
Collapse -
Thermal Paste
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 2:19 AM PST

Ok cool, I will have to try that. I was wondering what that substance was when i first took off the heat sink and fan. One thing I noticed though was that in the pciture on one of the sites, the fan is directly on top of the heat sink, on my computer the fan blows accross the heat sink so it only cools the arms coming off the sink.you think that might effect the computer and the heat sink.

Collapse -
Fan and heatsink designs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thermal Paste

There are more designs that one could think of at first. No real need to get the exact picture for your heatsink and fan. But I think you could get the heatsink compound off the suspect list fast.

Bob

Collapse -
Heat sink
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 2:29 AM PST

Ya, i'm getting off work soon so will be doing that right away and replacing the paste.

Collapse -
Boot on its own
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Heat sink

Does anyone know why a computer would boot on it's own. The computer is completely turned off or hybernate which is turned off would boot up on it's own without the power button being pushed.

PS: it's like its possessed or something.

Collapse -
From BIOS settings to more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Boot on its own

The most common item is our BIOS is set to wake on lan, modem, keyboard, mouse, IRQ and so on. If a machine is waking up and I don't want it to, I start disabling all those wake on settings.

Bob

Collapse -
Bios Settings to more
by johnjacob356 / November 7, 2007 8:38 AM PST

Thats good to know. As far as I know though, none are set up for that, the other thing is that When it turned on, I was the only person in my room, the door was shut and I was asleep, so I don't know what might have moved to cause it to turn on, but I will still take a look at that. Thanks

Collapse -
Bios
by johnjacob356 / November 9, 2007 3:48 AM PST

So I'm having trouble getting into even my Bios. I have let my computer sit for a few days with the CMOS battery out and will be trying to start up my computer in a day or so and go from there. Any suggestions of what to do when in the computer set up where I can reset the bios.

Collapse -
Dell documents the keys to press for the BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Bios

I didn't duplicate it here since you can research it very quickly. It's possible you are not using the keyboard the machine came with. I find some swap USB for PS2 and have this issue.

Your posts were not clear on this.

Bob

Collapse -
Keyboard
by johnjacob356 / November 9, 2007 4:49 AM PST

Thats interesting to know. I am using the original keyboard though, so that shouldn't be the problem. The mouse is different if that would effect it but I don't have it plugged in right now to reduce anything that could be interrupting the boot process

Collapse -
(NT) And you now can get to the BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard
Collapse -
Bios
by johnjacob356 / November 21, 2007 1:22 AM PST

Ok, so I've narrowed down my problems to Hardware. I was able to get my 500gb HD to format but when the comp restarted after formating the cpu started going into its start stop start stop problem. One thing I have noticed is that the CMOS battery seems to die or loose a lot of power almost instantly. I'm thinking the problem might be the RAM but am unsure. Any ideas about what the problem could be?

Collapse -
And now you can get to the BIOS?
by johnjacob356 / November 9, 2007 5:00 AM PST

Actuall not yet, I was able to get to the bios the other day, and then a few seconds later the computer died. Im not sure what will happen when after waiting a few days tring to boot wil do so I will update when I get the chance.

Collapse -
Computer now doing something else
by johnjacob356 / November 26, 2007 9:53 AM PST

Ok, so I've been able to successfully load windows onto my new hard drive, but in order to do so I would have to wait a few days in order for the computer to not turn on then off repeatedly, atleast it would stay on for a while. So I turned on my computer and and it ran for a good 30 to 45 minutes, so I decided to load on my norton system works and in the process of loading norton, the computer turned itself off. It didn't just die, it actually saved my spot and properly shut off, then would go into its rampage of turning on and off. I spoke with my brother about this and he thought that maybe the processor is heating up too much, so I tried again to put the thermal compound on the processor and heat sink. and same thing happened, I even have an extra fan blowing across the heat sink.

Any Ideas?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?