Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Boot Failure XP Home

by Lynaska / July 7, 2007 3:21 PM PDT

Today, when the XP boot screen appeared after post, my machine rebooted. Went to MSKB and followed instructions for Recovery Console, but when I got to the money shot, I was denied access - tried this 4 times, same response. Tried repair install, but after drivers loaded and auto re-boot, XP boot screen appeared and machine rebooted...vicious cycle.

Is there a solution to this? MSKB says its a 32.dll issue, but maybe not in this case?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Failure XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Failure XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Safe Mode
by trublubush / July 7, 2007 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Boot Failure XP Home

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

>Trublu

Collapse -
I have
by Lynaska / July 7, 2007 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

- after Windows drivers load, XP boot screen appears, then auto reboot occurs.

One other thing...I went into BIOS after the first volley of reboots just to see if something had changed and discover that the cpu id was different than it had been. I reset it to the proper model number, but this hasn't altered anything.

Collapse -
Other possibilities
by trublubush / July 7, 2007 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I have

When you boot up in safe mode by typing the F8 key repeatedly after the BIOS POST test until the Boot Menu screen(black w/white text)appears and then have chosen 'Safe Mode' as the boot option, and after you see the drivers list being completed(white text on black background), there should be a waiting interval of 20 to 40 seconds at which point the Safe Mode loggon screen will appear with reduced pixel and color resolution. The familiar XP bootup splash screen(Microsoft Windows XP logo w/animated progress bar, green for SP1, and blue for SP2 and Professional) will not appear at all; If it does, that means your system boot options in the registry (SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/...) have been corrupted or your BOOT.INI file is damaged.

You mentioned that your CPU ID had changed. If your computer's BIOS chip has been damaged, this will prevent XP from getting to its hardware. This is because the drivers aren't able to get a "handshake" from their respective "clients;" XP will reboot continuously until communication can be established. Also, Recovery Console will not work if the BIOS routines can't be accurately read.

You might want to take your computer apart and examine all the components and cables. Have you had any problems with your CPU fan? Have you tried a manual OEM extended POST test? On some computer makes, the default POST test simply glosses over the minor items without respect to the checksum result and reports that everything is OK, when in fact, there has been damage.

>Trublu

Collapse -
Safe Mode isn't functioning
by Lynaska / July 7, 2007 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I have

as you described it - when I choose Safe Mode option, there is a pause and then - viola! - we reboot automatically. I've been monkeying with Recovery Console and am getting as far as entering "R" for recovery and then getting one of three blue screens "Problem detected Driver IRQL not less or equal....check hardware....Tech Info....***STOP 0x00000000 (0x067C39DC, etc.) 0.000000D1 (0x08678C8, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF772A4C5) ***USBPORT.SYS then an address". I disconnected all my external USB cables, leaving only those which are incorporated in the mobo (Abit KV7) at which point I got a different blue error screen after entering "R" stating "Problem Detected Driver IRQL not less or equal....***STOP 0x00000000 (0x067C39DC, etc.)". The cpu id seems to have self-healed. A blue screen prior to the USB screen stated that a file was opened where there was no file (or something to that effect). I have also reconfigured the USB duties to the mobo instead of OS without good effect.

The fact that it keeps changing the error message confuses me - can this be a clue that the mobo is failing?

Collapse -
I forgot to add
by Lynaska / July 7, 2007 7:01 PM PDT

that in Safe Mose, it reboots after the drivers are loaded.

Collapse -
Recovery Console
by Les28 / July 7, 2007 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Boot Failure XP Home

couple of suggestions, don't know whether they'll help, is access to recovery console being denied because of password ? Just wondered whether booting from Win 2000 disc set would help, see this article and read below 3

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=173

or have you thought of using a Live Boot distro like Insert live boot or Knoppix to access XP?

Collapse -
It may be that
by Lynaska / July 7, 2007 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Recovery Console

access is being denied because there was no password set and the 'everyman' option wasn't chosen, but now I can't even get as far as the prompt screen in order to do anything about it.

Can these issues be circumvented by partitioning "C" and reinstalling XP?

Collapse -
A few ideas...
by Xnyper / July 8, 2007 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: It may be that

It soulds like ntldr is present because you make it all the way to the XP splash screen, but it could be corrupted or misconfigured. I know that this page doesn't quite describe your problem but it is also worth a shot: http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
(the boot disk available there is just handy to have)

A reinstall would definitely determine whether the problem is a failing motherboard, like you had mentioned, or some type of faulty configuration. If you have vital data to back up a bootable system like knoppix should allow you to access the file system. Or, if it can't, it would indicate that there is a file system error.

Collapse -
Thanks for this link
by Lynaska / July 8, 2007 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: A few ideas...

I'll go ahead and give a try. I'll let you all know how this turns out. I spent some of today pulling the HDD and sticking in another machine, but same problems occur - good news is that the drive is accessible as F:, so it doesn't appear to be a device issue. I can access it as storage so I see light at the end of the tunnel. If your link download doesn't work, I guess I'll opt to reinstall XP on a new partition or just buy a new harddrive, install and then transfer files as necessary.

Collapse -
Not surprisingly,
by Lynaska / July 8, 2007 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for this link

rebooted before A: accessed. Guess I'll go ahead and reinsatall on new HDD.

Thanks for all you help, but it's time to let this one die a natural death.

Lynaska

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.