Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Boot Disk

by mikeyboomboom / February 22, 2005 10:21 PM PST

Wondering what general thoughts are about the boot disks you find at computer shows and EBAY. Are they really helpful tools or just a scam?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by AInTeL / February 22, 2005 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Boot Disk

Dear mikeyboomboom,

Do you mean a bootable floppy disk? If so... Their value is near zero - you can make one of those yourself.

-AInTeL

Collapse -
Boot Disks
by Basie / February 24, 2005 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: reply

You can get all kinds of free boot disks at
www.bootdisk.com Quite a few excellent utilities as well.

Collapse -
Free boot disks
by ParnaoidGuy / February 24, 2005 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Boot Disks

I agree, there are lots of free boot disks. But our poster wants to know about value, not availability.

I have seen some of these wonder disks, and most are simply compilations of lots of free utilities with a slick menu. Compiling these boot cds obviously took time, time that you may find better spent in other pursuits.

One such disk I saw had over 200mbs of boot utilities, from mem tester, burn in tools, partitioning tools, network conectivity with autodetect for a massive list of NICs, and even manufacturer low level drive tools.

So are they worth five or ten bucks most of these people want? I don't know, you make one while I go enjoy life for four or more hours, then you tell me.

Collapse -
Boot Disk
by mikeyboomboom / February 24, 2005 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: Free boot disks

I guess what confuses me about these disks are the claims they make. Example, they advertise "boot up any computer, whether it has am operating system or not." Does that mean I can build a computer and rather than purchase an operating system for $200 I can just purchase a boot cd for $14.95 + $6.00 shipping and be all set? Then to top it off I don't have to purchase a system utility like Norton because it's all included in the cd?

Collapse -
Boot disk instead of an operating system?
by glb613 / February 24, 2005 7:26 PM PST

I don't think so. Apparently you don't understand the purpose of a boot disk. It isn't a substitute for your operating system.

If it sounds to good to be true, it isn't. Don't be fooled into believing those kinds of claims.

Collapse -
a "boot disk" boots
by jonah jones / February 24, 2005 10:10 PM PST

the OS operates Happy

i have a 1.4M floppy that will "boot" it's yours for $5.95+$5 shipping

(the norton utility CD is in a seperate envelope and will be billed seperately

Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?