The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Boot Camp to become ad campain?

by macflash411 / April 13, 2006 9:22 AM PDT

So today I was in my local compUSA. I walked to the apple section and there i see it a macBook pro, Imac, and Macmini all runing windows. I wasnt suprised to see bootcamp but to have it running on the 3 main machiness?? werid. I hope boot camp wont take over, i love OSX.

Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Camp to become ad campain?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Camp to become ad campain?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot Camp as a supplement
by archaeo1 / April 13, 2006 1:09 PM PDT

I don't think Apple released Boot Camp to completely take over OSX, because you can still run OSX. I think, rather, that Apple is trying to supplement OSX, by allowing people to run programs that they have for Windows.

A few weeks ago, some people might have been on the fence about going to Mac, staying with Windows, or whatever combo you may have. Now that Apple has come out and basically said, "Well, come on over to OSX. Oh, you have some Windows applications you need to run? Ok, we'll take care of that."

And think about how much money that saves the consumer. If you've absolutely had it with Windows, and WANTED to switch, but say, for example, didn't want to buy another $600 version of Photoshop, you could still run it on Windows at NORMAL speed (or maybe even better, as some of the benchmarks indicate). No "Rosetta" like application needed, no Virtual PC, but Windows, plain and simple.

I really don't think that the OSX is going to just go away because you can run Windows, like I mentioned before, the main idea is to HAVE OSX and if you want to, put Windows on it.

I'm hoping that you won't be able to buy a Mac with both Windows and OSX loaded on them, I think it should be a personal preference, therefore keeping the Mac OSX alive and well!

Collapse -
Its called cashing in on the Hype
by Redhats Q / April 13, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

Right now Bootcamp is all hype, so they probably want to cash in on it.

Most people are keen on this right now and want to try out the dual boot. Good on them for giving people the chance to try it.

Collapse -
OEM bundled XP with a Mac ?
by moandjoe / April 14, 2006 10:45 AM PDT

How long till some store offers mac purchasers an option to buy an oem version of Xp for bootcamp along with the Mac purchase.

BTW

Great show with david pogue

Collapse -
Full Story
by macflash411 / April 14, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

I would like to verify that it was in a Comp USA, and I know the man who works in the apple section and I was talking to him. He said "You know I really hate windows but you know." He was talking about boot camp and he was installing some high graphics game on an Imac. I was almost disgusted when i walked in because I went to the macbook pro to see it compared to my powerbook, and it was running windows in IE. I immediately took my hands off the keyboard and went to the back off the store to find the one running OSX, then i felt back at home.

Thanks,
Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?