Mac OS forum

General discussion

Boot Camp: Pro's and Cons

by Chris_Fon / November 11, 2006 8:32 AM PST

Hey All

Now that the Blackbook is shifting over to the sub

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Camp: Pro's and Cons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Camp: Pro's and Cons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will tell you that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2006 10:56 AM PST

Leopard will definitely be after Christmas.

What does the

Collapse -
(NT) Any Idea How Long After Christmas? Month?
by Chris_Fon / November 19, 2006 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: I will tell you that
Collapse -
slated for the 1st quarter
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 6:02 AM PST

but the Steve could surprise us and announce early.

Apple keeps this sort of stuff close to its chest.

P

Collapse -
Boot Camp Assistant 1.1.2
by agm4 / November 17, 2006 10:30 AM PST

There is abolutely no doubt that Microsoft Vista can be installed and booted using Apple's Boot Camp Assistant software.

A few things to remember:
1) Install BootCamp Beta 1.1.2 (the latest version)
2) Install ALL the latest firmware updates for your particular Intel Mac.
3) Do this BEFORE you attempt to install Windows XP w/SP2
4) You MUST have one of two XP products:
a) a Full Retail version of XP w/SP2 (this is the version you purchase Retail -- NOT OEM.
b) a "Generic FULL OEM" version of XP w/SP2. This is NOT the OEM version which is included with a new machine. Purchase it from a reputable software dealer, such as Amazon.com. The disk will have FULL-COLOR, edge-to-edge Microsoft holograms. These holograms will NOT be printed on top of the disk. They will be put in the disk as part of the manufacturing process. Unless your disk has such holograms, you do NOT have a "Generic FULL OEM" copy of Windows, and it will be UNUSABLE, and UNLICENSABLE.
5) I have tried installing XP w/SP2 using
a) a Retail XP w/SP2 Upgrade disk. I was unsuccessful, since I do not possess an external USB CD/DVD drive on which to put a previous Full version of Windows. I tried copying my Generic OEM of Windows 98SE to an external USB 2.0 drive, but the XP installer failed to recognize the drive.
b) I tried copying my Windows 98Se install disk to a 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Memory drive. Again, I was unsuccessful, since the XP installer failed to recognize the Flash Memory drive.
3) I have heard that the XP installer will recognize an external USB 2.0 CD/DVD drive. I cannot attest to that.

As to the installation of Vistaa:
1) With the first two iterations of Boot Camp Assistant, it was necessary to delete the EFI partition on your Mac drive to be install Vista.
2) Happily, with the release of Vista RC1, and BootCamp 1.1.1, this was not necessary.
3) With Vista RC2 and BootCamp 1.1.2, it is definitely NOT necessary. Vista installs cleanly using Boot Camp Assistant 1.1.2. There are a few caveats, however:
a) A few Intel Mac hardware items will be unavailable to Vista:
i. The built-in iSight camera.
ii. The Apple Remote
iii.The back-lighting of the MacBooks' keyboards.
b) Some users have reported overheating of their MacBooks under both XP and Vista.
c) Under Vista, the Macintosh Drivers for XP will have to be extracted and installed by hand, since the MDforXP disk fails when the ATI driver attempts to install. No other drivers are installed after this.
d) The Vista installer does contain an Airport driver for those who have Airport wireless cards.
e) The Macintosh Drivers for XP disk has a keyboard driver for Apple keyboards, and it does work with Vista. Microsoft keyboards, on the other hand, are a different story. While basic keys (including SOME media keys) will be available to Vista, special keys will not. For example, none of the "My Favorites" keys will be available to Vista, since the Intellitype Pro driver is basically broken with Vista. However it IS possible to gain full use of these keys. If you need them, I will post a method subsequently.
f) The Apple CD-Eject key will NOT be available to Windows until AFTER the Apple keyboard driver is installed under Windows.

I have found NO Windows software which will NOT run under either XP or Vista (however, some low-level software, such as video and audio drivers, do NOT work under Vista, since Vista has a completely NEW driver model, which is NOT compatible with XP.)

Hopefully, this will help thos who are making the switch.

Donald McDaniel

Collapse -
Parallels Desktop
by BobHG / November 17, 2006 12:35 PM PST

If you have to switch between operating systems as you work, then I'd suggest that you consider Parallels Desktop, which allows you to have both Mac and Windows OSs running concurrently. I only have 1Gb of RAM on my machine and I'd suggest that 2Gb would be better when running 2 OSs together. I have found that keeping Mac-side open applications to the barest minimum whilst running Parallels Desktop, and also keeping Windows-side apps to the bearest minimum, helps the Mac to cope. If you run many applications on the Mac whilst running Parallels Desktop, your Mac will slow to a crawl and eventually crash.

I have sent a few e-mails to Parallels Desktop support, but have yet to receive a reply. I have had problems using my Skype 'phone and my Microsoft Mouse in Windows - Windows will not see them. I have an extra Thai language keyboard, which I plug in through my USB port and Parallels Desktop sees both the Mac's built-in keyboard and the external keyboard, but I would prefer to dedicate one of the Mac's USB ports to Windows, so that Windows sees one keyboard exclusively and the Mac sees the other keyboard exclusively. Parallels Desktop won't do that, at the moment, but, if you don't need to use another keyboard, it shouldn't be a problem.

As I have to work on both Windows and the Mac, I am delighted that I can have both OSs running on one, portable machine. This means that I can now take all my work wherever I go, be it Mac or Windows. As an aside, I'm finding applications that work swimmingly well on Windows, but less than 100% on a Mac, which highlights all those apps that are made on Windows machines and then ported to the Mac. However, this is a small price to pay for the convenience of having both OSs at my fingertips, and things can only get better.

If you have to work in Windows or the Mac exclusively at any one time, Boot Camp might be a better solution, but, if you need to work in both OSs simultaneously, Parallels Desktop is the answer.

Collapse -
MacBook Pro running BootCamp
by marshw / November 19, 2006 11:32 PM PST

I have had a MacBook pro running BootCamp since August and it is without a doubt a great option for those of us with a foot in each camp.

I'm running XP with SP/2 and am having significantly fewer problems running Windows than I did on my high-end Dell that I had purchased this past spring.

There were three significantly annoying items whcih were fixed in the latest release of BootCamp and the Apple drivers...
- There was no suport for iSight in Windows
- The audio was still coming through the speakers when using headphones under Windows.
- There was no CTL-ALT-Delete key combo.

All of these have been resolved.

The one other item that you will need to factor into the cost is the need for Mac and Windows versions of software such as Office/iTunes etc.

I have been able to point iTunes on the Mac to my music folders on windows and that works well, but cannot seem to have one "My Documents" directory to access files from both OS's.

All in all, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat...

Collapse -
Dear Marshw
by d.k.hopson / November 21, 2006 10:59 AM PST

I am trying to get Windows Media Player to access my itunes library on the mac partition. Any ideas?

Collapse -
cross platform file access
by d.k.hopson / November 21, 2006 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Dear Marshw

I just loaded boot camp and XP on my MacBook Pro. Can applications on either partition access word documents or music files from the other partition?

Collapse -
From Wat I Heared
by Chris_Fon / November 22, 2006 3:52 AM PST

Macs can Read their proprietary format (forgot name) and FAT32
Windows can only read and funtion in NTFS and FAT32

Therefore, if you formatted the windows partition in FAT32 your mac partition can read the windows one

However, FAT32 can only be 32Gb or less

I recon Boot Camp V1 will have something to deal with this, or maybe im just hoping. Since Apple isn't going to change their format, and can't make windows read their format, I think time machine and boot camp will merge and assist windows through the external hard drive. Likely?

Collapse -
What can read what.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 22, 2006 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: From Wat I Heared

Without the aid of a third party piece of software, the Mac can:

Read and Write to all disk formats used by Apple. HFS, HFS+, HFS(Journaled)
Read and Write to all disks formatted using the FAT system (any flavor)
Read from a disk formatted using NTFS system

Windows machines can:
Read and Write to all disks formatted using the FAT system (any flavor)
Read and Write to all disks formatted using the NTFS system (Note that not all MS OS's can read NTFS
Cannot Read or Write to any disk formatted using the HFS system.

Hope that helps

P

Collapse -
thanks, mates
by d.k.hopson / November 24, 2006 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: What can read what.

That did the trick. I was trying to read itunes files on the mac partition from media player on the windows partition (for downloading to a Creative MP3 player). What I have to do is move all MP3 files to the windows partition, then let Itunes read those files from there.

Then, both players have access to the same files without duplicating my MP3 library. Thanks again.

9Denham

Collapse -
OOOOOH, The Possiblities
by Chris_Fon / November 24, 2006 7:57 PM PST
In reply to: What can read what.

If Mac Could give leopard some NTFS writing abilities, and let the hard drive re-format itself into NTFS, we got a document sharing machine over the two partitions, that can be altered through mac and windows as the user wishes.

This is exactly what I want from Leopard when i convert to mac, odds of this happening?

Collapse -
3rd party driver to the rescue!
by johnpaolini / June 9, 2010 5:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.