Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Boost wifi signal...be a tinker

by Willy / September 15, 2008 10:37 PM PDT

"My name is Bond, James Bond". Just when you though it was safe to wifi, comes someone who wants to save or get better reception.

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

These antenna have been around for a long time, so its nothing new. Its just that applied to current wifi setups, I was surprised the ease they could be done and many have already. Use keywords, wifi boost, Yagi, or USB antenna for hits. enjoy -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boost wifi signal...be a tinker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boost wifi signal...be a tinker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) just one Q. what is all-thread?
by jonah jones / September 16, 2008 12:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
all-thread
by JP Bill / September 16, 2008 12:25 AM PDT

a piece of metal rod that is threaded full length, you can turn a nut on it from one end to the other,

sometimes called threaded rod

Collapse -
thanks
by jonah jones / September 16, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: all-thread

for some reason i was thinking of shielded antenna cable

jonah

Collapse -
DYI always a cool topic, thanks Willy !
by grimgraphix / September 16, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

The only problem I might foresee is this... The fellas doing this were hooking up to a pcmcia card. It obviously had a connection where you could add an external antenna. Most recent wifi router manufacturers have begun making their products permanently affixed antennas. In other words you can't take the old antenna off to replace or attach a new and improved version.

Sigh... I guess the manufacturers discovered that it was more profitable for them if they could force the consumer into buying a new wireless router when the antenna got broke. This is just one of many ways they make the consumer buy a new product rather than fix or maintain an old one. I noticed years ago that cheaper appliances and electronics came with glued together cases on things like DVD players and cheap VCRs.

Another thing that is not user upgradeable ? The cheaper shoes you buy at stores like Payless Shoes store. A cheaper pair of black Rebock tennis shoes comes with the insoles glued into the shoe. Considering the insoles wear out long before the tread does on these shoes, you are forced to replace the whole shoe, rather than pull the old insole out and upgrade it with fresh ones.

Collapse -
I tried this model
by JP Bill / September 16, 2008 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
looking at the photo example...
by grimgraphix / September 16, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried this model

if you glue the foil to the template and then put the device onto your antenna... then most of your antenna will be on the wrong side of the tin foil. Will it not ?

ANTENNA ---> foil | cardboard ---> direction of desired enhancement

The only part of the antenna on thee reflective side of the foil is going to be the tip ? It looks like it might work if one were to attach the foil to the acetate... the acetate to a layer of cardboard... and sandwich the antenna between the two layers.

Worth a try ?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / September 16, 2008 2:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ah, much better !
by grimgraphix / September 16, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

I knew a fellow years ago, who was given a c band satellite dish (the big 10 foot ones) from his neighbor who said the thing never worked correctly. This guy I knew was a real jack of all trades who had a fundamental grasp of science but was mostly self taught past high school. He got a measuring tape and some string out, and did some figuring after measuring the dish and discovered that the curve of the dish was reflecting the signal to a point about a foot past the LNB that picked up the signal. He rigged up a new boom to extend the LNB... and had a perfectly good c band satellite dish.

I have to wonder if there is a somewhat similar issue with creating a reflector such as this one. Could it be that there is such a limited sweet spot where the enhanced signal boost works that such a device is impractical for most real world situations ?

Collapse -
c band satellite dish
by JP Bill / September 16, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah, much better !

B.U.D.

Big Ugly Dish

Collapse -
Running joke in WV
by grimgraphix / September 16, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: c band satellite dish

Known for years as the "State Flower"

The ridges are so steep and close together in most parts of the state that TV reception by antenna is often impossible unless you lived on top of the ridge. Cable companies were few, and rarely willing to run line out to a customer who lived out in the boonies. As soon as the dishes became affordable (still a couple of grand in 1970's currency) you saw them sprout up all over the state.

Collapse -
Many methods abound
by Willy / September 16, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

I used the foil method myself just to see if it'll work. It does. However, you crinkle the foil too much you diffuse the signal. So, in that vein you can really crinkle the heck out of it and then use. -OR- use silver spray paint instead, paint the cardstock.

I found one very simple. So simple it has one part, a "mesh strainer". Get a 8in. strainer, fine mesh used for cooking. On the bottom, make a hole to route the USB antenna through. Then mount it to the base the use USB antenna has, Belkin model. Then plug-in and find best signal. It was the darnest thing, it worked all for $2.00 excluding Belkin USB antenna. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) That sounds so fun I may have to try it. :-)
by grimgraphix / September 16, 2008 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Many methods abound
Collapse -
Didn't the Russians get accused of this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.