TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bookshelf Speakers to PC

by mohitshewaramani / October 23, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

I want to buy a pair of regular home theater bookshelf speakers and attach them to my PC. What kind of sound card do I need for this? Also, if I need to attach a sub, do I need a different sound card?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bookshelf Speakers to PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bookshelf Speakers to PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not usually a good idea
by sirroundsound / October 23, 2005 9:34 AM PDT

I am not sure, But I don't think I have heard of a sound card with amplification to drive a regular pair of speakers from.

Collapse -
Media Center?
by mohitshewaramani / October 23, 2005 10:26 AM PDT

But if you can't attach normal home theater speakers to a PC, how are Media Center PC's connected to home theater systems? Anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
Computer speakers.
by sirroundsound / October 23, 2005 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Media Center?

Most media centers have typical computer audio boards, thus they expect that you will want to hook up those great computer surround speakers, which are powered. I haven't explored many of them yet, but would expect that some will have either an optical or coaxial digital output that would be connected to the home theatre surround receiver, where you can connect some real speakers.

Collapse -
More stuff to buy?
by mohitshewaramani / October 23, 2005 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer speakers.

So that means that I would have to buy a sound card and a reciever. Too much to spend for just getting bookshelf speakers attached!

Collapse -
by mrobzo / October 28, 2005 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: More stuff to buy?

You will have to buy a 5.1 6.1 or a 7.1 surround card. They are fairly reasonable for what you get. No you don't need a reciever. Try Tiger or Global. They have a wide sellection of cards and prices for computor bookself speakers set up for surround array.

Collapse -
Computer Bookshelf Speakers?
by mohitshewaramani / October 28, 2005 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

What are computer bookshelf speakers? I have only seen surround sound systems for PCs made by companies like Logitech and Klipsch. However, these do not even come close to the audio quality of regular home theater speakers.
Is there any sound card available that accepts the connections used by most home theater speakers to plug into regular AV Recievers, often referred to as ''5 way post connections'' ?

Collapse -
so how does he hook up normal 8 ohm bookshelf speakers ?
by sirroundsound / October 28, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

You claim he doesn't need a receiver, just the card. A pair of bookshelf speakers require amplification from somewhere. I realise Tiger has a number of "surround" speaker packages, I do not concider these to be "bookshelf" speakers. They are computer speaker packages. Which I don't think were the point of this post.

Collapse -
You can easily hook a media center into a home theater
by flyingcowrancher / December 4, 2005 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: Media Center?

Why would you not be able to integrate your media center pc into your home theater? You have tons of options for doing it, you can do rca's to your reciever, or an optical cable, or a fiber optic cable, or a component. You hook one of these cables into your reciever which in turn goes out to your home theater up to 7.1.

Collapse -
get a reciever
by flyingcowrancher / December 4, 2005 2:27 PM PST

The best way, and most simple is to get a reciever for your regular speakers, and any new reciever will have several possible inputs from a computer. This could range from a regular male to male connector to an optic cable. This would allow you to easily hook up anything to your speakers ranging from an ipod to your pc. Buying a new sound card can improve the quality of the sound but try it before you buy it. When setting it up, plug the male connector into your headphone jack or audio out and reduce your pc's volume levels especially wave, let your reciever do the amplification.
and just fyi, sound cards usually have about a 2 watt driver, you were correct in saying this is far from capable of powering speakers alone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

10 days of prizes. Zero days of fruitcake.

A chance to win* connected home tech

Enter everyday to increase your chances of winning smart home gadgets like an Amazon Echo or a Ninja Ultima Blender.