Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 4, 2007 4:09 AM PST

Ask the Editors Live! event. Topic: Smart phones for the holidays

Got smart phone questions? Need some holiday buying advice on them?

Well, you've come to the right place. For one whole hour on Thursday, December 13, from 11 am to noon Pacific Time (2 pm Eastern), CNET senior editor, Bonnie Cha will be here to answer all things about smart phones, ranging from holiday buying advice to post purchase quandaries!

So if you got questions, Bonnie has answers! Don't miss out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's do this!
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 2:53 AM PST

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the last Ask the Editors Live session for 2007! I'm here and ready for your questions about smartphones. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Cheers,
Bonnie

Collapse -
best phone for web browsing
by missbernard / December 13, 2007 2:58 AM PST

Hi,

I have a question. What is the best phone is for browsing the web?

Collapse -
Some features to consider
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:04 AM PST

Hi there,

I wouldn't say there is a single smartphone that's best for Web browsing, but there are some factors that make some models for surfing the Internets than other. Look for a model that has a large screen--a touch screen is even better so you can more easily navigate. Also, 3G speeds (EV-D0, HSPDA) make for a much better experience since you get faster download rates. I'm not sure which carrier you have, but if you want to send me a follow-up question with your service provider, I'd be happy to give you some recommendations.

Collapse -
Verizon customer who wants something like an iPhone
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 13, 2007 2:59 AM PST

Bonnie, here is a question from a member sent via e-mail...

"The Apple IPhone has gotten lots of hype and anticipation was high! Still, some of the reviews I read say that there is still lots to be desired before it is really a super product

Collapse -
Cell phone world is wide open
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:10 AM PST

Hi Dorothy,

I've got to say, it's a pretty exciting time for the cell phone world. With the announcement of Google Android and the Open Handset Alliance, I think we're going to see a lot more innovative cell phones and smartphones (a la Apple iPhone) and with less restrictions in terms of carrier. So I don't think it will be long before you see that lightweight smartphone with everything you're looking for. As for the iPhone, I'm not really sure whether they'll stick with just AT&T, but I'm betting there will be plenty more iPhone competitors to come. Verizon has a pretty good one now with the LG Voyager: http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-voyager-vx10000-verizon/4505-6454_7-32640927.html

Collapse -
(NT) Do you think you will ever review the Sony KDL-46V3000?
by acampagna85 / December 13, 2007 3:00 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Will you ever review the Sony DAV-IS10?
by acampagna85 / December 13, 2007 3:01 AM PST
Collapse -
To acampagna85
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 13, 2007 3:07 AM PST

Hi there acampagna85 ,

This Ask the editor live event's topic is on Smart phones.

You might want to wait for a live chat event that will cover home theater equipment...

But for the time being you can always discuss these Sony models with other of members in the Home audio and video forum right here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5204-7596_102-0.html?forumID=60

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
need help with Treo 680
by Lora1 / December 13, 2007 3:08 AM PST

Can you refer me to a place where I can talk to someone about a phone problem I've had with my Treo 680 since I got it? Palm's support is quite inadequate and they even replaced the device and the problem continues. also replaced sim card with my carrier. I don't want to take up everyones valuable time here. thanks, Lora

Collapse -
What kind of problems?
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:12 AM PST
Collapse -
The YAWP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 3:09 AM PST

When the iPhone was rolling out Steve Ballmer was quoted as "Who would ever" pay 500 bucks for a phone. With some million plus out that's been proven to be a joke.

But this (Balmer) nugget seems to extend to Microsoft's treatment of Windows Mobile. In my view (I write PalmOs Apps) Microsft seems to have ignored Windows Mobile much like they did the Internet not long ago.

Hmm, I see the connection. It took a few years for Microsoft to figure out that the next big thing was the Internet.

Which has my calling all the wanna be an iPhones I see "Yet Another Windows Phone."

I see history repeating here. Do you?

Collapse -
Small biz owner . . . smart phone with google apps.
by car_lost / December 13, 2007 3:11 AM PST

I am a small business owner that uses google apps for contacts/mail/calendar etc. I need a phone that will integrate/sync its contact list and calendar with google.

Most smart phones seem to have MS Exchange in mind.

What is my best bet?

Thanks!

Collapse -
different topic but maybe you can direct me
by jopanu / December 13, 2007 3:12 AM PST

After logging onto CNET reviews with Win XP , I cannot view video topics. They flash as they start to load and then they disappear - no new window or tab... nothing and I cannot find any way to describe this on google or in cnet FAQs so far so as to get a solution. Not your topic area but I am getting pretty frustrated after about 4 hours over three days of trying. Thanks

Collapse -
T-Mobile Windows Mobile Phone
by boblam / December 13, 2007 3:15 AM PST

What is the best T-Mobile phone with Windows Mobile on it? Will any smart phone work today with T-Mobile's rumored new 3G network?

Collapse -
Still love the Dash
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:19 AM PST

Hi there,

I know the T-Mobile Dash (http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/t-mobile-dash-aka/4505-6452_7-32088045.html) is on the "older" side but it still remains one of my favorites. I love the form factor, and it's a great performer. As for 3G support, this will have to come through a separate update. Mind you, this also depends on whether T-Mobile and HTC will provide an update, because they may choose not to.

Collapse -
Getting ringtones on music not made as them
by flizz / December 13, 2007 3:15 AM PST

Hi Bonnie.
I am on the verizon network and they do not have a perticular band set up for ringtone. Is there a way to take one of my MP3's of them and convert it to a ringtone?
Steve

Collapse -
What kind of phone?
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:24 AM PST

Hi Flizz,

Can you tell me what phone you have, please?

Collapse -
treo 680
by Lora1 / December 13, 2007 3:16 AM PST

Sometimes (completely randomly -no pattern) the phone beeps instead of rings a few times then goes silent, although the display shows the call is still underway. It does then not connect to the recipient or their voicemail. the recipient can see that I have called. Thanks

Collapse -
LG ENV
by trackbeast / December 13, 2007 3:19 AM PST

hi i have a lg anv, when i try to transfer files from my imac to my env, its doesnt let me, beacuse the phone doesnt let me file transfer, it has the capability to, but verizon blocked this, how can i unblock it? thanks

Collapse -
WM6 Upgrade for AT&T 8525
by nagunuri / December 13, 2007 3:19 AM PST

Do u have any idea when we will get the WM6 upgrade for AT&T 8525

Collapse -
It's out now!
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:23 AM PST
Collapse -
jopanu email our customer support directly
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 13, 2007 3:20 AM PST

Hi there jopanu,

Sorry for your frustrations.

Have you tried emailing CNET's customer support so they can direct your question to the folks who may have some troubleshooting tips to get your videos playing on your browser again?

That would be your best bet. Here is the link to email customer service directly--tell them I sent you there :):
http://cnet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cnet.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?

Good luck and happy holidays!
-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Windows Mobile 6.1
by boblam / December 13, 2007 3:25 AM PST

Do you have an overview of the new features of Windows Mobile 6.1 update? Will this be benefical for users of the T-Mobile Dash? Is the Dash capable of handling this OS?

Collapse -
Rumors are just starting
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Mobile 6.1

So we're just starting to see and hear about Windows Mobile 6.1, and unfortunately, I don't have any more details than what's out there now. It looks like it will just be some minor enhancements to the interface and some other fixes. Without knowing much about it, I'm not sure whether it will be beneficial to Dash users, but I'll keep you posted as I learn more. Perhaps I'll get a peak at it at CES!

Collapse -
College Kid Smart Phone - ATT
by Beagal22 / December 13, 2007 3:27 AM PST

Son will be off to college next year, but I am coming up quickly on re-upping my plan. He will be getting a laptop. Does he need the smart phone too? If yes, wi-fi would cut down on the need for an expensive data plan and the campuses are all wired. What should we be looking at?

Collapse -
Few options out there
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:34 AM PST

Hi there,

There are definitely a number of good entry-level smartphones out there that might be good for your son. I'm not sure which carrier he has but here is a round-up I did of good starter models: http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6452_7-6508983.html

I'd also add the T-Mobile Shadow or T-Mobile Sidekick LX.

And I've got to say, it's pretty amazing how fast smartphones are catching on, outside of the business world. One report even says, they're outselling laptops--crazu.

Collapse -
Google Android
by dajunga / December 13, 2007 3:31 AM PST

Have you had the chance to test drive this new mobile OS and devices that support it? Do you know if current devices like HTC Touch will support this new OS?

Collapse -
Not yet
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / December 13, 2007 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Google Android

Unfortunately, I haven't had any hands-on time with Google Android, but I'm hoping I might get a peek at CES in January. And I can't say for sure that it will support current devices like the HTC Touch, but I'm pretty excited to see what kind of new smartphones will come out of this project. And I'm sure HTC will have a hand in it.

Collapse -
what is better ipod nano 2gen or 3gen
by pieeatingkid / December 13, 2007 3:32 AM PST

what is better ipod nano 2gen or 3gen

Collapse -
More on College Kid Smart Phone
by Beagal22 / December 13, 2007 3:32 AM PST

Or should we be waiting for something better coming out in the first half of next year?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!