Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!

Smart phone live chat event with CNET senior editor Bonnie Cha starts Thursday August 9th at 11 a.m. to noon Pacific / 2 p.m to 3 p.m Eastern. Where Bonnie, will be answering your questions on the wonderful world of smart phones. Submit your questions on topics ranging from buying advice to post-purchase quandaries! See you at the event!

Click here for upcoming Ask the Editors Live events and past transcripts of events.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm here!

In reply to: Bonnie Cha, CNET mobile tech editor LIVE!

Hey everyone. I'm here and ready for your questions about smart phones!

Collapse -
unlocked phones

why are mobile carrier so hesitant to help their customer setup an unlocked phone to their network.

Collapse -
Decisions - Decisions

Hey Bonnie,

I'm in the market for a smartphone... I've had my Razr V3 for about 2 years now.

I want to stay away from the Blackberries... as I dislike their GUI.

That leaves the above 4 phones as my interest.
Apple iPhone
LG Prada KE850
Samsung F700
Nokia E90

As you can see, a crowded field.Each, of course, has pros / cons...

I'd like Wi-Fi, Full web browsing, and a decent sized screen, sylish package, and something that doesn't feel like I'm holding a brick.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? Thanks much!

~Jonnie~

Collapse -
Perhaps the iPhone

In reply to: Decisions - Decisions

Hi there. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my hands on an Nokia E90 or the Samsung F700 yet so I can't really speak to the Web browsing on those devices. The Apple iPhone has the benefit of a large, sharp screen and integrated Safari browser is pretty amazing, so perhaps that would be the best choice. I know CNET editors Kent German and Donald Bell were impressed. Check out their review: http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/apple-iphone-8gb-at/4505-6452_7-32309245.html

Collapse -
Decisions - Decisions - addendum

Oops, left out that I'd also like it to be able to load custom apps.. (bummer iPhone)
Cut-paste text in messages (bummer iPhone)
Under $600 (bummer Samsung and Nokia)
Full (virtual or pushbutton) keyboard (bummer Prada)

Do you know of any upcomming phones that would fill all of my desires?

Collapse -
smartphone (T-Mobile (SIM Card/GSM)) to replace MPx220?

I need to replace a Motorola MPx220 that I've using with T-Mobile. (It would be my 4th phone - I had a V188 (on which I broke the internal display), a V300 (which eventually died on me), and this MPx220 (which is having a charging related problem (I suspect the jack on the phone.))
(When I had to change phones the last couple times, I just took the SIM card out of the dead phone and put it in the functional one. I didn't have to go through my carrier. I expect to do the same in this case.)

I would like Windows or Linux OS (preferably Linux),
a flip phone form factor,
a 1.3mp or better camera (btw, the 0.3mp cam on the V300 was very good in indoor lighting, but the 1.3mp cam on the MPx220 was horrible),
and a mini or micro SD slot.
I also don't want to pay more than $160 or so.
Also I'm willing to buy a phone that's a few years old. (I don't need an iPhone yet, for example (although I like a lot of things about it), and I think I can save some $ by buying an older phone.)
I will be using it with T-Mobile ToGo (prepaid) service, so I require a GSM (at least tri-band preferably) phone (with, obviously, a SIM card slot.)

I'm considering the Motorola A1200 (Linux, 2mp cam, touch screen),
Motorola A780 (don't know all that much about it but it looks like a possibility),
Qtek 8500 (might be the HTC StarTrek or Cingular 3125 - someone recommended it on a thread I asked in the cell phones forum a few days ago),
or possibly just buying another MPx220.
I'm also considering the MPx (MPx300) - I like the dual-flip design and the qwerty keyboard. I just doubt I'll find one on ebay for as low as $150.

I plan to buy an unlocked phone on ebay, and hope I can get a good deal.
Of the phones I mentioned - I think I like the Motorola A1200 best. Should I go for that one, or is there another one you can recommend?

Collapse -
best verizon smart phone

what would you say is the best all around verizon smart phone with 3g, mobil email, text editing, and media functions (dont care about a camera)???

Collapse -
BlackBerry 8830

In reply to: best verizon smart phone

Hi Kaylan511. Of the current Verizon smart phones, I'd probably with the RIM BlackBerry 8830. It offers great e-mail capabilities, world roaming, and EV-DO. The Verizon Wireless XV6700 is also great, but it's showing its age. Hopefully, Verizon will release its successor soon though!

Collapse -
ugh what's the deal with my submission....

somehow the BR tags were implemented wrong, but it looked fine when I pasted from notepad into the submission box...

Collapse -
When do you call it a smartphone?

Hey there Bonnie!
I love your video's on CNET. Here's my question;

When is a smartphone a smartphone? Does it have to have a QWERTY keyboard? I have a Sony Ericsson W810i ( T-Mobile contract ) . It will do Email, pretty nice webbrowsing and alot of more stuff. Can you call this a ipod?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

SXR

Collapse -
Our definition ...

In reply to: When do you call it a smartphone?

Good question. I know it can get confusing sometimes because when you think about it, a lot of today's cell phones are pretty darn smart. However, here at CNET, we define smart phones as anything running a third-party operating system, like Windows Mobile, Palm, or Symbian.

Collapse -
The high cost of access on smartphones

One the more irritating issues with buying a smartphone is the expensive data packages that go along with it. Many carriers require you to purchase the most expensive package out there. Will prices ever come down? Or better yet do you think wireless access through your phone ever replace internet access in the home?

Collapse -
use of bus apps on mobile devices

Do you have any idea what % of business users of smartphones use just the basics, e.g. phone, email, calendar. And what % of them actually go out and purchase additional productivity applications?

Collapse -
Not sure ...

In reply to: use of bus apps on mobile devices

To be honest, I'm not sure what the percentage breakdown is for the different apps. I'd say e-mail is one of the biggest uses for smart phones, as well as the actual phone. I've found that a lot of people add third-party apps to their mobiles because the included programs aren't sufficient for their needs, especially in more specialized industries like medicine. You can check out Download.com for some great smart phone apps.

Collapse -
Question about ATT 8525

Hi, I know that the 8525 is speced to handle a 2gb microSD... but will it support one of the new 4gb microSD cards? If so, does it support the MicroSDHC cards? thanks! Love your reviews!

-Tony

Collapse -
Blackberry level 1

I have a Blackberry 8800 and I can not get level 1 messages to activity a special profile.

Collapse -
Palm vs. Windows

Bonnie please help,

I really like the design of the Treo 755p, but I am not too sure about Palm software. Why would somebody choose a Palm based phone instead of a Windows based phone? Also any word on the new Windows based Treo for Sprint?

Thank you

Collapse -
Mac compatibility and ease of use

In reply to: Palm vs. Windows

A lot of people choose Palm over Windows Mobile for its ease of use. The Windows Mobile operating system has a tendency to be a little kludegy. It requires a number of steps to do simple things like exiting out programs, but they're getting better. However, Palm is pretty intuitive and easy to use right off the bat. Also, Palm devices are compatible with Macs right out of the box, so that's appealing to all the Mac users. You can check out a more detailed description of the two in our quick guide to handheld operating systems. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11309_7-6624304-1.html. And unfortunately, I haven't heard of any Windows-based Treos coming to Sprint any time soon.

Collapse -
Dash vs ATT 8525

Bonnie, another question. I am torn between the ATT 8525 and the DASH. Which would YOU purchase, and why? FYI, I am considering both phones because I need to be able to access info (edit docs, email, etc) on the go. The only real difference I can see is the touch screen... can you think of another reason why I would want one over the other? PS - I know the dash doesnt currently edit office docs, but it will with the WM6 upgrade, though I am sure you are already aware of that Happy ) Thanks!

-Tony

Collapse -
T-Mobile Dash

In reply to: Dash vs ATT 8525

Hey Tony. Personally, I would choose the T-Mobile Dash because of its design. I'm always running around and like to keep my gadgets small and compact, so the Dash is perfect for that and still lets me check my e-mail, work on documents, etc. The touch screen is nice to have, but I can get by without it. The only downfall of the Dash, I would say, is the lack of 3G, so Web browsing is a tad sluggish.

Collapse -
The Mensa Phone

Hi Bonnie! Really enjoy your reviews and am interested to hear how today's phones can still get smarter.

What would your mensa phone look like? Keyboard or touch? Maybe full voice-recognition instead?

Is there anything coming down the pike that looks like "The Thing According To Bonnie"?

Thanks a lot and stay smart!

D.

Collapse -
Ha!

In reply to: The Mensa Phone

The Thing According to Bonnie--nice. The thing is, I don't need my smart phone to be my one and ultimate gadget. Not yet anyway. I'm not ready to part with my standalone MP3 player to use a smart phone in its place. My dream smart phone would be compact, full QWERTY, touch screen, great e-mail capabilities, and fast Web browsing. Is there anything coming up? Heck yeah! Sounds like HTC's coming up with some exciting stuff and I'm looking forward to checking out the new Moto Q. I'm really interested to see if Palm is going to do anything new and exciting though. They're lagging, in my opinion.

Collapse -
Blackberry curve

I'm looking to get a Blackberry curve unlocked for T-mobile of the T-mobile dash. i wanted to know does the blackberry curve have programs to open and edit word doc as well as excel.

Collapse -
Blackberry Curve

Heya Bonnie!

I just recently switched from a gunky old Razr to a Blackberry Curve. So far I love it, but recently I've been having problems with it. When I'm in the middle of a call my phone will emit a "warbling" noise! The signal quality will be excellent and I'll still be connected through EDGE but the noise will come through about every 5 minutes or so. I was wondering if my phone may be experiencing technical problems or if it might be the software.

Thanks!

Zach

Collapse -
Pearl vs Rizr

Hi Bonnie,

My T-Mobile contract is about to expire. I am comparing the BB Peal vs Rizr Z3. I don't really need a phone with web/e-mail but wanted to have a phone that can keep track of my contacts/address and appointments. I tried the Pearl and the reception is not good at all. The Rizr, on the other hand, had good reception but the performance is slow. Voice dialing paused for 5 ~ 10 seconds before it response. What is your suggestion?

Collapse -
HTC Mogul vs 755p (both for Sprint)

Pick one winner and why?

Collapse -
HTC Mogul

In reply to: HTC Mogul vs 755p (both for Sprint)

Ooo, tough one but I'd go with the HTC Mogul. It offers more wireless options, a better camera, and good performance overall.

Collapse -
NOKIA N93 VS SE P1

Hey Bonnie
its time for me to get a new phone and im thinking on this to they have a very similar specification but cy the reviwes i read i can understand the nokia has beeter camra performance aspecialy in the video capture but video is not at the top of waht i need

my top priority are:
the movies and music plyer
picture shot
operating system
cool apps and feturs

im not frome the us. the price tag are this tow is the alomst the same

pleas help me chose Happy thanks:)

Collapse -
Nokia N93

In reply to: NOKIA N93 VS SE P1

I haven't had a chance to check out the Sony Ericsson P1 yet, but I can tell you that the Nokia N93 has some great imaging features and the picture and video quality were great. If you don't mind carrying around a rather bulky phone, the N93 will meet your needs.

Collapse -
Nokia N95 or Helios

hi, Miss Cha both are great phones, but which is easier to use and have a better overall performance?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.