Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bomb Tehran today or be bombed tomorrow?

by hh / September 8, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
Now that Iran has scorned diplomatic and economic overtures and the U.N. Security Council's demand that it halt nuclear fuel-cycle activity, has the time come to apply force to stem its suspect weapons program? True, U.N. sanctions may be in the offing. But proposed penalties are unlikely to move the revolutionary regime. The alternative -- concede Tehran's nuclear weapons future -- faces unalterable opposition from Washington and Jerusalem.

In nuclear history, the "nonproliferation conundrum" -- use force or concede if diplomacy fails -- is not new. In fact, policymakers in different times and places have faced the dilemma often, and, more often than not, eschewed the military solution to stop The Bomb's spread. And while the past can provide context to guide the future, wrinkles in the current situation add an ominous portent: Given the hostility between Israel and Iran, only American military action to halt Tehran in the near term may prevent a regional nuclear war in the long term.

History records only four applications of military force to thwart nuclear proliferation. To beat Hitler, the United States and Britain not only bombed a nuclear-related heavy-water plant in German-occupied Norway but determined to destroy or capture all elements of the atomic enterprise in the defeat and occupation of the Third Reich. Nearly four decades later, Iran would take a page from the Allies' playbook when its air force attacked Iraq's Osirak reactor in September 1980. The following year, Israel finished the job, setting back Baghdad's nuclear program by a decade. Then there was Washington's 2003 foray into Iraq. Premised on eliminating Saddam Hussein's weapons-of-mass-destruction capacity, it put a stake into a nuclear cadaver that had succumbed years earlier, the result of the search-and-destroy activities of international inspectors following the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

Link
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bomb Tehran today or be bombed tomorrow?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bomb Tehran today or be bombed tomorrow?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I don't run out of liquor
by JP Bill / September 8, 2006 6:41 AM PDT

I'll be bombed tonight.

Collapse -
no jp appeasers are ok
by Mark5019 / September 8, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

for the moment but dont lose your head

Collapse -
And, is this your.........
by hh / September 8, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

"final answer?"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We can only hope !!
by duckman / September 8, 2006 9:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
My thoughts
by Angeline Booher / September 8, 2006 9:06 AM PDT

The US and the USSR had enough nuclear weapons, and the means to deploy them, to kill everybody several times over. Yet we talked with them all during the Cold War, including through some dicey times. "We will bury you!"

Granted, the leaders in the USSR apparently realized that nuclear war was unthinkable, and seemed more focused on expanding their satellite countries than sending missiles at us.

The "president " of Iran, however, wants to destroy Israel, with the rest of us to follow. Those that share his mind-set are more than willing to kill themselves as long as hey can take out as many as possible with them. They are working on rockets that will reach far enough.

Funny how they forget that Israel already does have nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them. Pakistan and India have nuclear bombs. They are at a greater distance way from both countries, but I don't think they would take kindly to Iran starting a nuclear war. The nuclear clouds would pass over them if the wind was right.

The article noted the risks involved, I will add one. The terrorists. So far, even with our far superior advanced technological capabilities our troops have fallen victim to home made bombs. And thousands died on 9/11 from passenger airplanes used as bombs, not from bombs dropped from planes or missiles. Then we had the shoe-bomb attempt. Bombs in knapsacks in London subways. Bombs on Spanish trains.

I heard a gentleman on TV the other day telling about a think-tank that devotes it's time trying to think like the terrorists, and what new wrinkles of attack they might come up with.

Personally, I would not like to see the USA go it alone. I could favor a coalition strike(s) that includes onew or two Arab countries. (I don't know how strongly, if at all , they fear Iran, though.) Otherwise, I fear the fallout from our unilateral actions would cause a firestorm , and very possibly spawn many new recruits to terrorist groups here and abroad.

I doubt sanctions would work as they didn't with Iraq because even some of our "friends" did not comply.

So at this point in time I favor diplomacy, and even that we take part in talks. We stayed in touch with the USSR, Some might call this appeasement, but I think we need to think far enough ahead to not make the dangers to us worse than they are today.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
i understand
by Mark5019 / September 8, 2006 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts

but these people wont talk and if they do there stabing you in the back at the same time.
the only thing left to do is wipe them off the map
of course we wouldnt do that to many inocents:(

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!