HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

BOL Poll: Favorite video games of all time?

by robstak / March 23, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

Not neccesarily the most popular, just your favorites... any platform... pong? gameboy tetris? minesweeper? big buck hunter? loi.

For me: Quake 2, Halo 2, MarioKart, Rock Band.

-dr. karl Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BOL Poll: Favorite video games of all time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BOL Poll: Favorite video games of all time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few...
by skellener / March 23, 2008 2:46 PM PDT

Flashback (Sega Genesis), The Wipeout Series (PS1), Oddworld (PS1), The Halo Series (XBOX+360), Burnout 3 Takedown (XBOX), Portal (360)

Collapse -
re:
by zoredache / March 23, 2008 2:49 PM PDT

FF7,Lego Star Wars, Oblivion.

Collapse -
I approve of this topic :)
by navsimpson / March 23, 2008 10:42 PM PDT

For me... Super Mario 64, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Gears of War, Half-Life. Oh and Wing Commander II.

Collapse -
Games
by joedelco / March 23, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

Prince of Persia (Old PC game - played in 1991), Metroid and Super Metroid (NES, SuperNES, and Wii), Gran Turismo 1,2,3,4 (PS1 and PS2)

Collapse -
Good at being bad
by glistam108 / March 24, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

The "Thief" series, and the "Hitman" series, PC only. Rather self-explanatory names, eh? Replay value is one of my preferred attributes.

Collapse -
A couple games I remember really enjoying
by Martin.lu / March 24, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

Mafia and Max Payne 2 (PC). While perhaps not the most meaningful games, I did have a lot of fun playing them.

Have to mention Civilization IV and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 as well..

Collapse -
(NT) mega man II and mario kart 64...end of thread.
by kwahhn / March 24, 2008 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
My Picks
by PressAnyKey / March 24, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

Unreal Tournament 2004, Team Fortress 2, Elite Force, Wing Commander III, Half Life I and II... and Galaga!

Collapse -
Ha!
by Renegade Knight / March 24, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

The Panzer General Series.
The Splinter Cell Series.
The Knights of the Old Republic Series.

Lots of also rans, but that's the top 3.

Collapse -
Quake 2 !!
by Slikkster / March 24, 2008 6:19 AM PDT

Dr. Karl, here's something we can agree upon! Are you aware that there's a thriving Quake 2 community at tastyspleen.net? I know, it's a dopey name, but they have a bunch of servers and TONS of new maps! If you do play at Tastyspleen already, let me know your nic. I use the same one as here, with a couple of others when I'm testing config files or whatever.

As I said, there are many, many cool maps. (I'm assuming you haven't been there; if so, apologies.) Get all the maps in zip form here:

http://www.tastyspleen.net/quake/downloads/all-maps.zip

Download them to your baseq2 folder, but make sure you tell the zip program to "preserve directory paths", as these will unzip into their appropriate sub-folders.

Now, once you have all the maps, fire up quake 2 and at the command line, just type "connect tastyspleen.net" without quotes. You'll be connected to the "DM" server by default, but once you're in that server, you can type "goto" (no quotes) and hit enter and you'll see a list of other servers and the current players that are there. If you see one you like, just type in the server name at the command line, like:

goto vanilla

or

goto railz

etc.

Quake 2, to me, is still a very cool multiplayer game. Let me know if you're going to go, or if you're already there!

One more thing: If you don't already use it, you'll see messages about not being able to execute the "nocheat" client. Some people use it, some don't. I don't. I use R1Q2, myself.

Collapse -
is quake 2 free?
by mementh / March 24, 2008 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Quake 2 !!

is quake 2 free?

I know they open sourced quake 3 or something.. but what about 2?

Collapse -
omg awesome
by robstak / March 24, 2008 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Quake 2 !!

Of all the games I've EVER played, I've played Quake2 BY FAR more than any other... the only other game that even comes close is Halo2.

It was the first game I played online against other people and the experience was mind-blowing.

I can't believe there's still a community, I'm gonna have to get on that bizznatch!

Wanton Gibs, baby!
-dr. karl

Collapse -
Cool deal
by Slikkster / March 24, 2008 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: omg awesome

That maps zip file I linked for ya is huge, so that will give you an indication of how many new maps there are. Half the fun will be just getting to know your way around them. I still run into new ones at that sever (the maps just download automatically if you don't have them).

If you just want to get your feet wet again, you can "goto" the "vanilla" server once you're connected to tastyspleen.net. The vanilla is all the original maps only. So, again, install the maps, then open the game. Go to the command console and enter "connect tastyspleen.net". Once there, if you want to just to feel your way around with the original maps, go to the console again and type: goto vanilla <enter> and you'll be transported to the Vanilla server! You can switch between any of their servers that way. Just type "goto" and enter for the list of servers and who's there.

Anyway, hope to see ya there.

Collapse -
Without a doubt
by satoauto / March 24, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

The Tex Murphy series for PC.

Collapse -
Hmmm
by FredAgain / March 24, 2008 9:30 AM PDT

I don't play as much as I used to, but a few that I was hooked on

Myst
Baldur's Gate
Civilization II
Archon on my the Atari 800

Collapse -
(NT) Age of Empires? Starcraft, Diablo anyone?
by robstak / March 24, 2008 9:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Out of those three. . .
by rar31 / March 25, 2008 8:39 AM PDT

I prefer Age of Empires II and III. Age of Empires one was okay, I really enjoyed part II and like part III even more thanks to the expansion packs and innovative game play.

Collapse -
I have a favorite from every system that I've owned
by rar31 / March 25, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

I've had the pleasure of owning a N64, Gameboy Advanced SP, Psone, PS2, PSP, and Xbox.

For each I've had a favorite game:

N64: Super Mario 64
Gameboy Advanced: Super Mario Bros. 4
Psone: a tie between Driver 2 and Gran Turismo 2
PS2: tie between Gran Turismo 3&4 and the SOCOM Series
PSP: Starwars Battlefront II
Xbox: A tie between Halo, Halo 2, Forza Motorsport, and 007 Everything or Nothing (I really like all of these games! I can't decide, but I think I'm leaning most toward Halo 2)

My favorite computer game is Freelancer

Collapse -
First Computer
by Pocketfox8 / March 25, 2008 10:07 PM PDT

My first computer (at home) was a commodore. I can't even be sure of the model, but literally if you typed your name it would take up almost half the screen. This computer came with a game where you would catch cherries that fell from the sky.
My first computer (at school) was a apple macintosh.

Collapse -
OOps
by Pocketfox8 / March 25, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: First Computer

Ended up posting my first computer in the video game thread.
For me, the only video game that takes first place in my heart is GALAGA.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's a Vic 20
by PressAnyKey / March 25, 2008 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: First Computer
Collapse -
Sorry I'm late to the party...
by ibcrandy-2120454356981420 / March 27, 2008 9:30 AM PDT

Favorite games of all time in no particular order:
Fallout
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Diablo II
Star Control II
Evercrack, er, I mean Everquest
Civilization IV
Blaster Master (old NES game)
Discs of Tron (which just came to Xbox Live! Woohoo!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.