Desktops forum

General discussion

blurry screen

by Talbott21 / September 23, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

Okay, I have Windows XP and my problem just started yesterday. After I had went and turned on my computer, I got on the internet. Well, a couple minutes pass and I realize that my screen had gotten blurry (letters and everything). It happened today as well, and it's really getting on my nerves. If anyone can point me in the right direction and help me get my problem fixed, please by my guest.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: blurry screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: blurry screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: blurry screen
by Merl Priester / September 27, 2004 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: blurry screen

Since I am not there, this is difficult to troubleshoot.
1: Did the resolution change? High res on a not good enough screen will be blurry.
2: Monitors do get old and get out of focus.
I do not recommend this unless you are qualified, but most monitors have a focus control inside near the back.
If you remove the cover (powered off) and find the control, usually very small and uses a small screwdriver to adjust, you can boot (cover off) and adjust the focus back to sharp. I have seen some that had many controls for brightness, rotation, etc. If your test each one you can find the right one.

If you are not very careful, you will end up ELECROCUTED. This is why I say qualified. If it is a 17" and you are not prepared to take the risk, just buy a new monitor.

Collapse -
by reipph / September 28, 2004 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: blurry screen

Talbot has a separate inquiry about this.
Anyway, you are correct that it really is very risky unless you are a qualified technician to play with the inside controls of a monitor.
There are three small square tower like parts in the monitor board. They are "quartz" parts that control the RGB colors (red, green and blue) gun that is shot in the flyback then the CRT, it controls the mix of colors but not the blurry appearance. Opening a CRT housing takes courage (imagine a 33,000 volts power in it) and knowledge about electrons, electricity, capacitors, stored powers, grounding, power release and the kind.
I agree with your position but there might be people who might try the procedure and end-up being electrocuted.
Leave opening CRT's to qualified individuals. THis is just a reminder, life is precious.

Collapse -
by reipph / September 28, 2004 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: blurry screen

By the way, you need an oscilloscope to do some adjustments in brightness, color mix, color balancing and the like in CRT board which can be simply done by video graphics card controls in the system.
The trial and error mode of adjustment is time consuming and more accident prone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!