TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blurry images

by jeffplam / May 7, 2007 12:12 AM PDT

I just installed my Samsung LNT4061 and hooked it up via HDMI to my Cox digital cable box. The still picture looks fine. When there is motion or when the screen changes, there is blurriness that lasts for a second or two before the image becomes clear again. It seems to be more obvious on the HD channels. I played around with the picture settings a bit but couldnt fix it. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blurry images
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blurry images
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jeff....
by hyghwayman / May 7, 2007 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Blurry images

There is a person here on these forums that works for Samsung. He goes by the name; MR_Samsung
http://my.cnet.com/community/Mr_Samsung/?tag=usrprfl
If you re-ask your ? w/ his name in the Subject Title maybe he will see it and be able to help you.

Hope this Helps,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
Well you have discovered the problem with 1080i!!
by jcrobso / May 7, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

I looked up your set 1080p it is.
There are a lot of things going on! First is the MP2 encoding used to send the video to you. If there is a lot of compression then fast motion will look blurry, the more compression that is used the blurrier it will look.
There is nothing you can do to fix this! John

Collapse -
If
by givemeaname / May 7, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

you have a DVR hooked up hit pause too see if it's the tv or the singal.
If this is happing in black areas, this maybe ghosting, maybe.

Is the burring in color or B&W? & are they like lines going across the screen?

Collapse -
it does it in color
by jeffplam / May 7, 2007 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: If

it looks fuzzy at times. I even noticed it on a still image on part of the screen last night. by the time i went to pause the DVR it was blurry anymore though. I will try to bring HDMI cable and box to the dealer and try it on one of theirs this weekend.

Collapse -
Re: Blurry image.
by grc24 / May 7, 2007 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: it does it in color

I beleive what your talking about is the pixel refresh. I'm sure the refresh rate is 8ms. Try turning you Sharpness setting way down. I have a Samsung LCD and had some blurriness as well but I think my Sharpness setting is down to 15-17. This is suggested anyway so you don't lose as much image detail. Especially in HD. It helped with the blurriness too.

Good Luck.

grc

Collapse -
lowering the sharpness seems to have helped
by jeffplam / May 11, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Blurry image.

the blurry images during motion dont seem to happen anymore..thanks for your help. Any other recomendations for the other settings, contrast, color ect? I think with some further tweaking I can get the picture to look better. thanks again.

Collapse -
calibration dvd the best way
by givemeaname / May 11, 2007 5:46 AM PDT

turn the power saver on, turn off DeNile. Contrast you want around 50-60%, never 100% which is defalt on most tv's.

Collapse -
Absolute Essential.
by grc24 / May 13, 2007 2:47 AM PDT

I agree with "givemeaname" you absolutely need a calibration DVD. The most popular is Avia Guide to Home Theater. It's very easy to use and does a great job at getting the best picture possible from your set. Not only does it do picture calibration, but it also does your audio as well. I just used this to callibrate my audio and am just completely blown away with how much better the sound is coming from my 5.1 setup. Amazing and an essential tool for home theater enthusiasts. I got mine from Amazon for about $40. I've heard that you can rent them from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video but I couldn't find one at either.

Good luck

grc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.