Samsung forum

General discussion

blurring of image edges on Samsung PN58C8000 3d Plasma TV

by Millerjd / July 8, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

On standard definition and on HD, we have blurring around images, even stationary items. It looks like the edges are fluid, like rippling water. We are using two Direct TV HR22 dvrs and an Onkyo
AV TXSR706 receiver. Also a Samsung BDC3690 3D blueray player. Direct TV DVR #1 out to the in on #1 on the Onyko receiver by HDMI cable. Out from the Onkyo receiver to HDMI #1 in on the Samsung TV to upconvert from the Onkyo receiver to 1080P from 1080I. DVR #2 HDMI out to HDMI #2 on Samsung TV, bypassing Onkyo receiver. Sound is through the Onkyo receiver with coax optical in. Reason for hookup on DVR #2 - to be able to see 3D on Direct TV as Onkyo receiver is not 3D ready. The Direct TV HD resolution is 1080I as there is no upconversion from the Onkyo receiver. 3D Blue Ray player has HDMI out from player to HDMI #3 on tv, not going through receiver as it
is not 3D capable. Digital out from Blue Ray player optical to Onkyo receiver through Digital optical cables for sound..
We have only had the TV for one week so we are looking for answers.
Any help you can give us will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: blurring of image edges on Samsung PN58C8000 3d Plasma TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: blurring of image edges on Samsung PN58C8000 3d Plasma TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scary ...
by sf2rome / July 8, 2010 9:22 AM PDT

This scares the bejesus out of a prospective buyer like myself!

Don't worry ... HDTech should come to the rescue.

Collapse -
blurring of image edges on Samsung PN58C8000 3d Plasma TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2010 1:23 PM PDT

Are you seeing the blurring image when using the DVRs, or with the Blu-Ray player?

You are correct that 3-D must be connected directly to the TV via HDMI with optical out to the receiver.

I'm not sure why two DVRs are used, but while some receivers have a hard time passing a 1080p signal, many can pass 1080i or 720p with no problem.

Are both DVRs and the Blu-Ray outputting in 16x9 format, with the TV *not* set to any Zoom features?

Also, if you could tell me what resolution setting in the DVR's menu is, that would be helpful. (Many come default at 480, and raising them up increases the picture quality. A low resolution setting would definitely cause a "blur" issue)

Collapse -
Not our TV !
by Millerjd / July 11, 2010 1:44 AM PDT

Thank you for your help but we have determined that it
must be the Direct TV DVR connection to our satellite.
Blue Ray and shows recorded off the internet are perfectly
clear with no blurring effects.

You can delete this posting so that no one else believes
there is something wrong with this model TV. It is a great
set and has a beautiful picture.

Collapse -
by koffas / July 11, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Not our TV !

It make be the motion judder canceller. Check whether it is set standard or smooth on the HDMI input you're using for DirecTV. It is set indepedently for each input (i.e., HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, HDMI4). When MJC is turned on, you often see weird pixellation artifacts.

I have observed a similar effect on my C7000.

Collapse -
What setting do you suggest?
by Millerjd / July 12, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: MJC

There is "smooth", "standard" and "off" available on the C8000. Which have you found to be most helpful in avoiding the "vapor aura" around moving objects or people. Our Blue Ray is set to standard and the picture is great. We really notice it on the Direct TV DVR recordings when we watch them. Hubby didn't know that each HDMI had to be set individually. Will wait for your response before pursuing anything with Direct TV.

Collapse -
set MJC to OFF
by koffas / July 12, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

Set MJC setting on the TV to off on all inputs -- standard or smooth can both introduce artifacts. The blu-ray player settings shouldn't matter.

Collapse -
YEAH ! Your advise solved our problem.
by Millerjd / July 14, 2010 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: set MJC to OFF

Hubby and I thank you for your post. It has solved the problem we were having with the "vapor aura". We are really enjoying the beautiful picture.

Collapse -
Motion Judder Canceler
by BigRoc009 / September 2, 2010 7:38 AM PDT

I have this same issue of the ghosting or vaporing around images as well with the MJC turned to either stnd or smooth setting. I love the soap opera movement of the feature, but the artifacting makes it UNWATCHABLE! I know I'm in the minority that actualy like the look of that movement, but I'm po'd that this feature is soo bad it can't be used! It doesnt matter the connection..Bluray, cable tv, ps3..doesnt matter, same artifacting. I've been in contact with samsung for the past 3 weeks since I purchased the tv, and I'm VERY disapointed in the lack of response to the issue. Whats the fix for those of us that want to be able to use the feature? With it off, the movement of images studders, and gets blury. Not what I was expecting for almost 3 grand!!!

Collapse -
What was you solution?????
by NotAllThat / November 24, 2010 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Motion Judder Canceler

Your issue is the EXACT problem that I am experiencing! I have all the processing turned off. Motion Judder & Cinema Smooth 24. I still have very un smooth panning. I looks like there is a second image following the last one, (Ghosting or stuttering, I guess). Im running a Sony 1000ES Blue-RAY player and there should be no lack of signal with this unit. Did you get a FIX?

Collapse -
by BigRoc009 / November 25, 2010 1:23 PM PST

There isn't one.It's an issue with the MJC. I'm in the process of filing an Attorney General Complaint, BBB complaint, and I was also one of the people involved in a Class Action lawsuit that we won against Samsung regarding the DLP tv issue a couple years ago. I've forwarded this issue to that Attorney and he's replied with a laundry list of customers that are having the same issue, so he's gathering info now too. So we shall see what we can get done...

Collapse -
Expensive TV & have to watch the "Ghost" effect?
by avanti43 / December 2, 2010 3:49 AM PST

I am also one who purchased the TV expecting better results. I have also contacted Samsung Support and they have given me a number of "fixes". 1st was to download the latest version of Firmware... that didn't work. 2nd was to try the Motion Jutter (mentioned above). I shut it OFF and had better reception than with it ON. Now, think about that... if you have motion problems, wouldn't you think you should turn it ON? They don't seem to have a fix for the problem and it's so disappointing to see such a great screen and can't watch HD TV because of the movement problem. I also have the problem with DVDs on the Samsung Blu Ray. I would have been ok if it was just the DVD's because they weren't Blu Ray disks, but having HD as well, it's the TV! If anyone has found a TRUE FIX, please tell me!

Collapse -
Same issue Ghosting
by Heathan1980 / January 24, 2011 11:48 AM PST

So i have the same issue as every one here. I just bought the PN58C7000 In September and noticed the ghosting. But I don't have the MJC option in my menu that you all are referring to. But I did contact Samsung in november and the sent a tech out. He replaced two circuit boards on the back an presto Fixed... or was it. Well after a few months with perfect viewing, it is back. I don't know why it is back but it is. I think it might have something to do with the Internet TV. As it started coming back after I ran into and issue updating software, and the TV froze. Let me know if any one has had a similar issue.

Collapse -
by rsmcp / December 16, 2010 11:20 PM PST

Can you forward me the contact info for the attorney that you mentioned. I also just purchased a Samsung 63" 3D. I am having the same problem with the blury water marks around objects. Samsung said that I should have invested more for the LCD to avoid the problem and it is not covered with the warranty.

Collapse -
Use This Calibration
by OSUBeaver44 / January 8, 2011 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Motion Judder Canceler
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?