Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BluRay vs HD thing from the movies available perspective

by Rollbar / December 19, 2007 1:18 AM PST

Have a PS3 and a few BluRay disks. Also have rented a few Blu's to watch. Now I'm in the market for an HD-DVD player (likely to be the HD-A35) and I've started to browse the list of available movies in HD.

I'm surprised that many of my favorites, the ones I might watch over again from time to time, are in HD. I'm also surprised at the number of titles in HD. Finally, I didn't know this but I'm seeing some of the BluRay titles I would buy are also in HD. That was a real surprise.

Hmmmm..... Maybe should have just gone with HD and skipped the PS3.

Roll

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BluRay vs HD thing from the movies available perspective
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BluRay vs HD thing from the movies available perspective
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The format war is not over yet.
by NM_Bill / December 19, 2007 1:24 AM PST

The amount & variety of releases on either BluRay of HD is about equal.

You have a lot of opportunity to enjoy the stunning experience.

Collapse -
Weighing the options (good and bad) of both formats
by mbcaplan / December 19, 2007 2:52 AM PST

I will make a note that I am in the Blu-ray camp, but have been nearly tempted to add the HD-DVD add on for my xbox 360. Anyways, there are benefits and drawbacks to each format. There are a few format neutral film companies (warner bros and new line mainly) that produce movies on both formats. Blu-ray has Sony, Fox, and Disney exclusivity, so movies like the James Bond, all Disney/Pixar movies, etc are all Blu Ray exclusive and will not be converted to HD-DVD. There is a new standard for HD-DVD for triple layer DVD's which may make current players obsolete if they update their technology. That's just a rumor I'll add. HD-DVD has Dreamworks, Paramount, and Universal exclusivity so TV shows like Heroes, the Shrek/Bourne series, and Transformers are only on HD-DVD.

In terms of sales, Blu-Ray sales are 3 to 1 in the US, 7 to 1 outside the US. Hardware sales are 3 to 1 blu ray to HD DVD if you count PS3 sales. HD-DVD has the edge in terms of pricing for their players.

From what it appears, if Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray exlcusive next year, since 2008 is rumored that they will finally make a decision, it means that a good 70% of all the total movies produced on either format will be Blu-ray or blu-ray exclusive.

Given that apart from fanboys and early adopters, most standard familes looking to eventually upgrade will probably not want to do so without the ability to play lots of Kids movies (strike 1 for HD-DVD), Toshiba had to pay Paramount and Dreamworks 150 million dollars to choose their format when each was format neutral at the beginning of the year (showing that Toshiba clearly needed to try and even things out in the format war), and that neither side is willing to budge, my guess is that blu-ray will win out in the end. However, if Warner goes to HD-DVD, well then it's back to square one and no matter which format you choose, you may end up with a 3-400 dollar paperweight.

Hopefully this helps.

By the way, if you're looking for lots of information about the format war and its developments, check out digitalbits.com

Collapse -
Also...
by stuntman_mike / December 19, 2007 3:42 AM PST

with respect to the Paramount deal with HD-DVD, it is only exclusive for another year. At that time they may stay with HD-DVD, go exclusive to Blu-ray, or go back to being format neutral.

At the end of the day, the only true exclusive studio that HD-DVD has, that will probably always remain exclusive, is Universal. Every other studio is either Blu-ray or format neutral.

I too have been tempted to add a cheap HD-DVD player, mainly for the Bourne movies, but they have more convincing to do to get me to jump.

Some of the movies that are only on HD-DVD, like Warner's the Matrix and Batman begins, are about to come to Blu-ray. WB is format neutral and the only reason why these movies were not released initially on Blu-ray is because they have a lot of in depth extras that would have had to be axed on the BD version because the old Blu-ray spec could not match the pop-up extras features of HD-DVD. Noe that the Blu-ray 1.1 spec has been released back in October, all BD players going forward, and those that can be updated (the PS3 was updated to 1.1 spec in the latest firmware as of Tuesday of this week) will be able to handle the special features in the same way as HD-DVD.

For my money, HD-DVD has to do more than pay Paramount for timed exclusivity to warrant taking a chance on them. They have made the war a little more competitive, but I think they will still lose in my opinion.

As much as I hate to admit it, the winner might just be decided when George Lucas decides which side he's on lol.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!