General discussion

Bluray freezes on Sony Vaio - laptop or software problem?

I've had my lovely Sony Vaio VGN FW-200 laptop for well over a year now, and has worked great. I own a small collection of blu-ray movies, and up until now, they played just fine.

Yesterday I went to play a movie, and it froze during the beginning previews. I once got it all the way to the title menu, but it froze when starting to play the movie. I had to eject the disc, because the entire program locked up. So I tried a different disc, same thing. I tried a DVD, and it worked just fine. :/

It never freezes in the same spot. Sometimes it freezes when its inbetween different preview or loading the menu.

I'm using Intervideo WinDvd BD for Vaio. (version 8, I believe). I tried finding an update driver on the sony support site, but it doesn't list it on my model's page. Intervideo is now Corel apparently, and they only support version 9 and up.

I tried a system restore, because last week I was able to play a movie just fine, but there was no change.
I can't find much support for this kind of problem.

Any help or suggestions?

Computer specs.
-Sony Vaio VGN-FW200 series
-Windows Vista 64
-Intervideo Win DVD BD for Vaio, vs.8

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Bluray freezes on Sony Vaio - laptop or software problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bluray freezes on Sony Vaio - laptop or software problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The reason or cause

Is not evident in your post.

If Sony offered to extend the warranty that would be the cheapest repair.

My bet is they'll have you restore to OS to its factory condition and try again.
Bob

- Collapse -
reinstalled and no change

my laptop is 2 years old, so the warranty is long gone. Plus the old warranty only covered hardware problems.

I looked up repairs on sony's website, and I'd rather not shell out 280$+ to fix something that may or may not be a hardware problem.

I managed to uninstall and reinstall WinDvd, but that didn't change anything.

Dvds work perfectly in Windvd. BluRays make it lock up.

I just wish there was another free bluray playing software so I could check to see it was either WinDvd or my disc drive that has the problem.

- Collapse -
Good idea.

Another drive to test the machine with is a good idea. But this sort of swapping is done in service centers. At home we can only take the clues and make our best guess. Sadly there is no definitive clue here and there are no open source or free blu ray players yet which is a discussion unto itself.

At some point like that car that needs to go to the dealer's shop you'll have to decide if it's worth it.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info