Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BLUR RAY :Panasonic DMP BD 35 versus Sony BDPS 550 'step-Up'

by chesschess / November 16, 2008 1:17 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BLUR RAY :Panasonic DMP BD 35 versus Sony BDPS 550 'step-Up'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BLUR RAY :Panasonic DMP BD 35 versus Sony BDPS 550 'step-Up'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
they are not the equivalent, exactly
by jostenmeat / November 17, 2008 4:15 AM PST

BD 35 competes with Sony 350

BD 55 competes with Sony 550

Video wise, BD 35= BD 55 exactly
Video wise, 350 = 550 exactly

the difference between "Step up" models is audio support, most particularly m-ch analog outputs after internal decoding. For those w/o HDMI receivers.

Panasonic has better bluray video than Sony. Only Pana passed all HQV tests Ive linked. The sony looks like it has more mosquito noise, or less smooth, I know ive seen it. The pana suffers the greatest shift in color points. Said to be very subtle. Sony suffers hitch in lower end color temp. Also said to be subtle. However sony didn't pass all the hqv tests.

get the panny. oh the panny can also do frame by frame slow mo. also the sony 350, "don't know about the 550, but I know the 350 has a disturbingly bad omission where it won't recode DD+ and DolbyTrueHD to legacy DD or DTS over spdif for people with legacy receivers"

Collapse -
Thx Jostenmeat - so its the Pana35 over the Sony 550
by chesschess / November 18, 2008 6:26 PM PST

Thanks for your reply Jostenmeat!

That's really helpful. You always have such good advice for my queries - I appreciate it.
So you recommend the Panasonic 35 over the Sony 550.

The pana 35 is also cheaper than the Sony 550 so you have save me a couple hundred dollars (-:

Regards
Chesschess

Collapse -
you are very welcome
by jostenmeat / November 19, 2008 5:17 AM PST

Yes, the only reason you would really want either the S550, or BD-55 for that matter, is if your receiver cannot handle the codecs. I assume you have a modern HDMI receiver.

Yep. a couple hundred in the pocket. Some folks with money, without time to research, simply buy the step up models w/o needing to, because they want to "play it safe", and there "must" be something better about them. They often don't need it, since they already spent on HDMI receivers.

you play much chess? ever on-line?

Collapse -
ah, forgot to give you a link
by jostenmeat / November 19, 2008 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: you are very welcome
Collapse -
pana 35
by chesschess / November 21, 2008 5:15 AM PST

Greetings,
Thanks again Jostenmeat!
I will be buying a 'modern receiver' - probably in the xmas sales.
Otherwise, in the meantime I'll hook the Pana 35 with my Pioneer 50 with HDMI directly.
Thx

i play chess on ICC (-:
Regards
Chesschess

Collapse -
sure thing
by jostenmeat / November 21, 2008 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: pana 35

I used to play a lot at ICC too. I haven't logged in since a long time, Im sure my membership is expired. A previous hobby of mine, long before I bought my first HTIB, hah.

I was addicted to bullet 1/0 time controls.

Though I've logged my fair share of blitz games, and enough standard time controls to have a rating.

Pretty fun to watch the Grandmasters play each other at blitz. or even GMs vs computers at 3/0 or 5/0 was always insane. Hah. Unbelievable.

Never liked any of the wild variants. Tried bughouse with little success, and a friend tried to get me into loser's. hated it.

man, chess is way too addictive. Im sort of glad I don't play anymore! lol

Collapse -
chess
by chesschess / November 21, 2008 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: sure thing

Yes,
I used to be so addicted that I would see a chequered board whilst riding my motor bike. But that was 20 years ago.
I have been playing longer time controls but recently given that up because it takes up too much time. Now I'm on the 1 min and 5 min games.
Its amazing chess community - so many videos and reports etc.
I can understand why your relieved to be free of it though.

Cheers & thx
bob

Collapse -
Panasonic 1080p output problems
by pattom12 / January 11, 2009 2:27 PM PST

I have a BD35 with the latest firmware (1.6) installed outputing to a Sony XBR which is 1080p capable. I have my hdmi cable connected directly to the TV-not through a receiver and I have a very good hdmi cable installed and have in addition hooked up a second cable fror test. The tv knows that a 1080p device is inputing to the tv but the picture is distorted on 1080p. It is fine when set to 1080i. A friend of mine has a Samsung Bluray and he has the same TV I have purchased from the same dealer at the same time as mine, on the same purchase order. His setup works fine on 1080p. The BluRay disc is Disney National Treasure 2. I can only conclude that the BD35 is not performing properly. I have not worked with Panasonic yet on this issue but I expect they will say it is either a cable or a TV problem. I would be careful about buying this unit if you really want 1080p.

Collapse -
my panaBD35 is working fine
by chesschess / January 11, 2009 2:48 PM PST

Hello Pattom12,
Thx for your reply. I have already bought the Pana BD 35 since about late Novemeber.
So far so good. I also watched Disney National Treasure 2 and it was fine. Mission Impossible no 3 was fantastic.

mmm... I'm not sure what to suggest might be the problem that your set up is having.
But I wish you luck solving it. I'm sure some other members could advise you.
Regards
Chesschess

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!