Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Bluetooth Services Error - "Access Denied"

by avmad / March 22, 2007 2:37 AM PDT

Hi all,

I am using a Dell D420 laptop with integral Bluetooth module running XP Pro. I'm using the native BT capability within XP (i.e. no third party BT stack).

I have been working with two devices that I wish to be able to connect via BT to my laptop. The first is a BlackBerry 8800 with Uk Vodaphone service and the second is an Orange SPV M-3100 (same as HTC TyTn) with Orange UK service.

I am able to pair both PDAs with the laptop (by right clicking on the BT icon in icon tray and selecting "Add device". Both PDAs go through the expected pairing process and prompt for passkeys etc. Following this, I get the expected icon(s) within the Bluetooth Devices window and a message on the device indicating that pairing was successful.

However...

When I go to the Bluetooth devices window, highlight the icon of the device I want to use, select the "Services" tab and then check the "Dial-up Networking (DUN)" box (to indicate I want to enable use of DUN on that device)...

I get a message box error entitled "bluetooth service error" that has the msg "Access is Denied"

I have read several articles on various forums about how others have seen this error with a variety of different BT phones/PDAs (and even with Vista), but I have not come across a generic fix for the issue.

BTW - I have another Dell laptop, an X300, that is also running XP Pro and that laptop does not seem to display this issue.

Can anyone help me with this?

thx

avmad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Services Error - "Access Denied"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Services Error - "Access Denied"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

But if I was to look into it I would be looking at what Event happened in the Event Viewer. I also know about accounts and ownership, permissions in the registry but all this is not going to offer you any cure given so little to work with.

Maybe a call to Dell's support will have them walk you through all that?

Bob

Collapse -
Nothing obvious in the logs
by avmad / March 22, 2007 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlikely.

Bob,

I checked the logs and despite being quite surprised by a rather high incidence of group and security policy errors and warnings, I do not see much that could be related to the Bluetooth error.

BTW - I discovered that I get the same access denied error if I try to check the Serial Port (SPP) serial Port entry right below the DUN one.

avmad

Collapse -
When I see that I
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 3:25 AM PDT

Clear all the logs, create the error and look what gets logged. There are not enough clues in your posts to offer much else.

My interest in bluetooth is more than in passing as I updated my Palm application to use bluetooth connections last year. But the lesson I learned is that without the clues it's rare to find a cure. Even moreso without "error messages." Since there are none in your posts I have to guess and I've found I guess badly.

Bob

Collapse -
By updating I mean..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: When I see that I

I didn't buy an udpate, but I am the author of the application and added more code to support bluetooth. As we use the PC during testing I ran into quite a few situations I had to clear up.

Bob

Collapse -
Logs cleared - No new entries after error
by avmad / March 22, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: When I see that I

Bob,

I did as you suggested and cleared all logs. I then went through the process I described above, until I got the error windows.

I then checked the logs. No new entries (except the one in the Security log that showed that the logs had been cleared).

I reproduced the error again. re-checked logs. Still nothing.

Oh well - no clues to go on then. I'll let you know if I find anything more concrete to go on...

avmad

Collapse -
See my note about REGMON and accounts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

It's the classic access denied error so (now don't shoot me) all we need to find out what is being accessed.

Bob

Collapse -
MS is not complete in their article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883259 is fine reading and very long but you find no mention of 'administrator', 'owner', 'permissions' and other words that we need to know about.

To wit, I can't tell if your account is an administrator one or if your account has access rights to the registry and files that make bluetooth work in XP. This is why the gritty details are necessary as well as any clues in the event viewer. Failing the event viewer I had to install REGMON to watch what was being accessed in the registry and tweak those entries to allow the user account to make the needed adjustments.

Hope this gives you clues as to what to look into.

Bob
Collapse -
Cover me, I'm going in...
by avmad / March 22, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

Thanks!

Collapse -
Checking on admin rights...
by avmad / March 22, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

I will also ask one of the admins here about what level of priviledge I have. I only know I have local admin.

Collapse -
Bingo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

I didn't know that but I needed full rights to manage bluetooth. This creates issues since bluetooth just like wifi and networking can poke holes in company networks. Some companies do not allow such connections and make the users connect via usb cables.

Bob

Collapse -
I found the answer! WOOHOO!!!
by schlice / May 21, 2008 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo.

It's a little obscure in the KB article (892891), but it is there:

Note: Before you follow the steps that are outlined in this article, verify that the Bluetooth Support service has been started and that the Bluetooth Support service is configured to use the local administrator account.

By default, the Bluetooth Support service registers itself as NT AUTHORITY/LocalSystem (the Local System account) instead of the Administrator account. So I changed the Log On for the Bluetooth Support service from LocalSystem to the local Administrator, stopped and started the service, and voila! I can now manage the Bluetooth COM ports and service listings. Sweet!

Of course, you have to have local administrator rights in order to effect this change, but if you do, and you run into this issue, there it is.

Cheers
CJ

Collapse -
Re: I found the answer! WOOHOO!!!
by Mike McCarthy / June 25, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

====================================================

It's a little obscure in the KB article (892891), but it is there:

Note: Before you follow the steps that are outlined in this article, verify that the Bluetooth Support service has been started and that the Bluetooth Support service is configured to use the local administrator account.

By default, the Bluetooth Support service registers itself as NT AUTHORITY/LocalSystem (the Local System account) instead of the Administrator account. So I changed the Log On for the Bluetooth Support service from LocalSystem to the local Administrator, stopped and started the service, and voila! I can now manage the Bluetooth COM ports and service listings. Sweet!

Of course, you have to have local administrator rights in order to effect this change, but if you do, and you run into this issue, there it is.

Cheers
CJ

====================================================

CJ:

I have a cloned backup of my harddrive and when I boot from the clone, my Bluetooth works. Instead of repairing the security database (the secedit.sdb file) on the "bad" drive, how about if I just delete the bad secedit.sdb file and replace it with the good file from the clone? Would that work, or would that mess things up?

Thanks,
Mike McCarthy

Collapse -
Re: WOOOOOO! i figured it out
by FiftyOneRacing / July 7, 2008 5:34 PM PDT

Awsome, can you give us some more specific directions on how to go about changing the way it logs on?

Cheers

Collapse -
it Really Worked
by hasan137 / December 5, 2008 5:03 PM PST

Thanks a lot, my Nokia 6600 is communicating fine throught Blue tooth until Windows XP Service Pack 2, as i install the Service Pack 3 of windows XP, access denied error message starts coming when i click the Ports tab page in Microsoft Bluetooth Software.

I am trying for the solution on different Forums, but didnt find a sutiable answer that helped me,

The changing of Local Service account to Local Administrator account really worked, and my Nokia starts communicating again.

Thanksss

Collapse -
Understand the concept...
by mojavapleez / January 1, 2009 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: it Really Worked

but Where/How do I do this? Don't know where to look.

Collapse -
If you mean the KB article, here's the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 1:43 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) It worked great for me (Changing the LogOn) - Thanks!
by Pach Z. / March 16, 2009 7:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
how
by aliasnikhil / April 29, 2009 4:37 PM PDT

completely describe how and where to change the log on for bluetooth support service
plz help
i am desperate

Collapse -
You can dooooo it!!
by jbuddah1 / April 30, 2009 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: how

worked for me!

Start > Administrative Tools > Services
Double click "Bluetooth Support Services"
Click on the "Log On" tab
Select the "This Account" radio button
Click on "Browse" then click on "Advanced"
Click on "Find Now"
Double Click on any user in the list that has Administrator privaleges. If you are unsure, just choose the Administrator account.
Now click "Ok" until you get back to the "Log On" tab
Verify the correct user is in the log on box and if there is a password needed to log that user onto windows then enter it in the 2 fields below.
Click "Apply" and you should be good to go.

Collapse -
It's Alive!
by raylepper / October 3, 2011 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: You can dooooo it!!

Thanks to jbuddah1.
I've been struggling getting a Bluetooth mouse to work in Apple Snow Leopard Bootcamp after upgrading to Bootcamp 3.2.
Changing the log on for Bluetooth services to one of my user accounts with admin privileges made it possible to tick the box on the Bluetooth Devices Services tab (Drivers for Keyboard, mice, etc. (HID). Bingo. No access denied and not the mouse is working correctly.

Collapse -
This worked brilliantly
by wallacdj / July 30, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

So, having problems as described above with a Belkin USB BR so I
uninstalled the 3rd Party BT software
upgrades to XP SP3
installed the XP standard BT s/w
followed the instructions under KB article (892891)
Set up incoming & outgoing ports with password
now finally my Samsung New PC Studio works on my XP Machine
Strange (or not?) that this all worked fine on a Windows 7 PC with no trouble at all. Aplogies to Samsung about their S/w but the old Nokia 9300 worked fine....serves me right for upgrading

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?