Laptops forum

General discussion

Bluetooth Questions for Laptop and Printer

I have a Kodak 5300 all in one printer.

The way I'm setting up my new office my printer is going to be across the room. So, I'm not really wanting to run a cable all the way around the room from the laptop to the printer, nor do I know if a cable is available that would be that long.

I've decided my best option is going to be to get Bluetooth. Originally I wasn't really planning to get the Bluetooth on my laptop, but thought it would be a good idea for the printer.

My questions:

1). Kodak sells a bluetooth adapter (Item # 8391567) for $50. Does anyone know if this is the adapter I have to buy, or would there be a less expensive option that I could find somewhere else?

2). Is there anything else that I could use the Bluetooth for. My cell phone has Bluetooth and everything, but I don't use it, so I wasn't sure what else I could use it for.

3). I am using an older Linksys router, I think it is a G, with Speedbooster, I can look up the exact model if needed. Is the wireless on the laptop going to work with this if I get the Bluetooth option, or am I going to have problems?

Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Questions for Laptop and Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Questions for Laptop and Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why you may want to stick with Kodak's Bluetooth.

In reply to: Bluetooth Questions for Laptop and Printer

If they truly get all the features working in your all in one, that's impressive and worth every dime for the product.

I've used bluetooth with wifi and it's good. For me, no issues.

Bob

Collapse -
That was what I was thinking as well

In reply to: Why you may want to stick with Kodak's Bluetooth.

So are you saying that if I would go with another Bluetooth device I may not be able to use all the features on the printer? Or more to the fact that you don't feel the Bluetooth is going to work perfectly, even from Kodak?

Also, so you don't think having Bluetooth on the laptop will cause any problems trying to get a signal for my wireless? Since my router isn't Bluetooth, I wasn't sure if that would cause any problems. But, I believe it is wireless plus Bluetooth, so I guess the Bluetooth is an additional feature rather than and upgrade or replacement???

Collapse -
I'm only going to hit the first question.

In reply to: That was what I was thinking as well

I already noted success on using both BT and WIFI (and in many machines to boot.)

If Kodak is telling you that scanning, faxing, printing is working with their product I would pay up and get it. I wouldn't be shopping around.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again

In reply to: I'm only going to hit the first question.

I just wanted to make sure I understood you and that getting the Bluetooth would not cause problems with the Wifi. I wasn't certain what router and things you were using and if you used both on one system. Thanks for the info though.

I understand now. I will read more on Kodak's site and see if Cnet has an opinions yet, I'm not finding much info right now. The printer came out at the first of the month, so it is still hard to find a lot of info on it.

Thanks again for all your help with this!

Collapse -
Dummies back!

In reply to: Thanks again

Sorry, I have another question.

I went to Kodak's site to try and get more info on the Bluetooth adapter. But, there really is very little info. So, I'm really not sure what it does and what it does not do.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=10605

Can anyone else tell if you can still print on it, scan, and things like that? Or what does it actually do?

I can't seem to grasp this Bluetooth stuff.

Collapse -
"Kodak 5300 all in one printer." is listed but.

The page you supplied only notes "printing."

As it stands I can not find any document that tells me you can use any other feature of the allinone printer.

1). Kodak sells a bluetooth adapter (Item # 8391567) for $50. Does anyone know if this is the adapter I have to buy, or would there be a less expensive option that I could find somewhere else?

While I have some 10 buck bluetooth adapter it is assured it won't work since the printer has to have "code" to use the devices. Since each maker's ID tag and code is different I would not bother trying other makes.

2). Is there anything else that I could use the Bluetooth for. My cell phone has Bluetooth and everything, but I don't use it, so I wasn't sure what else I could use it for.

3). I am using an older Linksys router, I think it is a G, with Speedbooster, I can look up the exact model if needed. Is the wireless on the laptop going to work with this if I get the Bluetooth option, or am I going to have problems?

Maybe I was unclear here. We have dozens of such combos at the office and no issue. It's tough to find an issue here.

-> Maybe the bluetooth Kodak device is a bum idea if it only supports printing.

Look at the Linksys WPSM54G which supports multifunction printers. Then again, is it so bad to plug in that USB cable?

Bob

Collapse -
That is what I thought, but didn't know if I misunderstood

In reply to: "Kodak 5300 all in one printer." is listed but.

I think I will try and contact Kodak to see what they say.

I will look into the one you listed as well.

I don't mind a USB, have used it on all my others. The only problem is the way the office is going to be setup. Since it will be across the room and on another wall, I will need quite a bit of cord and I wasn't sure if I could even get that much cord. I don't have it setup on a computer right now, using it as a stand alone, so I don't have any cables at this point, I'm waiting to decide what I want to do.

I suppose if I could get a cable that is long enough that wouldn't be a problem, I'm just trying to cut down on some of the clutter and cords. I may just try the Bluetooth and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Talked with Kodak

In reply to: That is what I thought, but didn't know if I misunderstood

I talked with Kodak, and after they once told me that the printer would be able to perform all functions with Bluetooth, they then changed their response and said it can only print.

So, since the product is so limited with what it can do, would there be any alternatives that would cost less than $50? I'm just trying to think if the whole bluetooth setup is going to be worth $75 for me.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Talked with Kodak

I think the wifi allinone connection at 99 bucks is the real fix. Compared to what we paid 2 years ago that's quite a bargain.

Bob

Collapse -
After I thought about it, I think that printing only will...

In reply to: Sorry.

work for me. This will be my photo printer, anything else will be minimal printing, if any. This will basically be my "play" computer and printer. My main computer and printer would be what I'm already using, so any scanning and things like that, I could do on my other printer....

So, I'm thinking that the printing only option would still work for me, but was just curious if there are any other options for that.

But, back to the all in one that you showed me, how is that setup? I read the description on one site, and it really didn't mention anything, so I really don't know how thi would be setup.

Sorry again for all the questions, I've been working so much the past few weeks, I barely have time to eat anymore, so I've not really had time to do all the research on my own.

Collapse -
"how is that setup?"

In reply to: After I thought about it, I think that printing only will...

I have to get the products, CDs and follow the directions just like the rest of us. I've yet to find how I installed other products to be the same. Why they can't standardize this is a good question.

Bob

Collapse -
Forget about the $50 bluetooth adapter

After seeing the product photo of the bluetooth adapter, I realized that it looks exactly as the D-Link DB-120 Bluetooth adapter that I own -> I plugged it in and it is immediatelly identified and works. Can be found on eBay for sometimes less then 7 EUR.

I also have a D-Link DBT-122 (bluetooth 2.0, higher speed) laying around here (looks the same) -> this one does not work (its not recognized at all).

Now the features that work with the D-Link DBT-120 adapter (the documentation does not tell anything about this feature, maybe the original package from Kodak has some more documentation included?):
- Sending Photos (.JPG's) from a digital camera for direct printing
- Sending Photos from my Windows Mobile Phone (T-Mobile SDA II) does NOT work via bluetooth (I guess it has to do with the issue mentioned next)
- Sending a JPG file from PC (Mac) via bluetooth "send file": An error message occurs that JPG file is not supported -> but when pressing "Ignore & continue", the JPG is printed as 4"x6" photo.

There seems to be no other functionalities for bluetooth than simply sending JPG's (even though they are reported as unsported from the printer on retrieval) and printing them directly to photopaper. The printer does not have he necessary bluetooth profiles to support more.

=> Save your $50! Its not really worth it.

Collapse -
I use a product called

In reply to: Forget about the $50 bluetooth adapter

Network Magic which is an award winning product from Laptop magazine. I use it to share drive and printers on my wireless network. It's pretty neat being able to print to printer connected to another laptop on my network. I have my network secured so no one else can share my files and printer. It also tells me who is trying to log on to my network.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention I didn't have to go

In reply to: I use a product called

out and get a bluetooth printer and it is available for less than 30.00

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.